Cheap, good food

the_yellow_dart

I just made some dinner and it turned out rather nicely, thought I'd share and see what creative ideas others have come up with.

Take one of those packets of chicken noodle soup. Put it in the amount of water the instructions ask for, and begin to boil it. Take a collander (pasta strainer) and empty a package of spinach into it. Place the collander on top of the soup pot. As the soup boils, it will steam the spinach. The spinach will get a bit of chicken noodle flavour. Make sure you turn the spinach and stir the soup so they cook properly. Stick some Garlic Plus on the spinach, spoon out some soup and enjoy.

I know steamed spinach is an aquired taste, but I like it.

I just had the above with some smoked salmon. (I realize that's not cheap, but the above tip is!)

Mmmm...

Amazing how a good meal can make you feel better, especially when you make it.

I hate to cook...I rarely do.

I am addicted to 2 chains: Bob's Big Boy (not good for you, but delicious in my mind) and Daphne's (a newer chain of Greek cafes found in CA, AZ and NV) because the ingredients are good for you and the seasoning of the food is great.

I, too, will wait a while on the spinach. I want to see what shakes out.

Edited by trinacriabob

Arugala > spinach anyway

Edit: Korean-style spinach is pretty good, though. They cook it with garlic and sesame oil and serve it chilled.

194738[/snapback]

I love arugala!

BTW--do I remember correctly that you are at least partly Korean? Send some Korean recipes my way if you have any cuz I'm getting into Korean food now.

My friend Liz and I made some mean kimbaap this summer...I have the pix on my camera and I'll get those posted in a few minutes...

EDIT: Check out the throwback 80s kitchen! :o AWKWARD!

Posted Image

Making Kimbaap:

Posted Image

Step 1

Posted Image

Squish It!

Posted Image

Add Stuff!

Posted Image

Roll That Bitch!

Posted Image

Rolled.

Posted Image

BIG KNIFE!

Posted Image

Perfect!

Posted Image

Mmmmm!

Posted Image

We Did It!

Edited by Croc

Sounds good!

I like a varied mix with spinach AND arugala, red leaf lettuce and some herbs...im more into feta than bleu, and i don't like candied anything because of the carbs. Gimme some whole pecans anyday. Chop up some apple, add some kalamata olives, and since im not a balsamic vinegar fan, i use the kalamata olive liquid as a dressing.

Um... I love Long John Silver's!!!! :lol:

194791[/snapback]

Eh...I like Gorton's frozen fish sticks better.

I love In-N-Out, Jack-In-The-Box, Steak 'N Shake, White Castle and Qdoba.

In-N-Out: Double-Double animal style, fries and 7up

Jack-In-The-Box: Their bacon and cheese potato wedges are amazing

Steak 'N Shake: Patty Melt w/ cheese fries and a peanut butter shake or a double steakburger w/ cheese, mayo, lettuce n onions with fries and a peanut butter shake...only occsionally will i get a root beer float or a chocolate coke

White Castle: 4 bacon cheeseburgers, large fry, large cherry icee

Qdoba: naked shredded beef burrito no beans with queso, extra pico, corn, extra cheese, no sour cream, lettuce, and a $h!load of guac. either get the blackberry jasmine tea or a nantucket nectar.

mmmmmm i love fast food! dammit BV, you made me all hungry!

The sweetness of the candied pecans or walnuts contrasts magnificently with the bleu cheese and balsamic to create an explosion of flavor in your mouth that should not be missed. Yes, I forgot the apples, I knew something was missing from the ingredient list.

Vipes, our local LJS is a complete dump. I will never eat there again due to the condition of the building and the disgusting lack of cleanliness. I just know they're back there stomping on roaches and getting mouse turds stuck in their sneakers while they toss my hushpuppies in the carton. And who knows what's floating in that fryer? *shiver*

I used to like LJS once in a while, but that just shut me down from going there.

If I go to Cordoba, I always get the chicken burrito naked with corn salsa, pico, cheese and a side of guac. Good eatin'.

Edited by ocnblu

I don't like the sweetness...I like the richness of the pecans, or yea...the bitterness of Walnuts. Walnuts are my favorite nut by far...and a great source of antioxidants too.

The chicken at doba is alright...everyone seems to like it but I don't feel like it has much flavor. If done right and not too dry--the steak is amazing. The ground sirloin is just meh though. The shredded beef is consistently the best since you cannot go wrong marinating the stuff for days and slow cooking it. SO TENDER! Plus, since it keeps marinating at the counter, it retains the most adobo flavor of all the meats.

Edited by Croc

Jack-In-The-Box

I always make it a point to eat there at least once when I take a trip out west. I love their fries, and you can get breakfast any time of day :ohyeah: I also loved the Taco Cabana I went to in San Antonio....Taco Bell's got nothing on them.

I'm not that much of a cook. I can follow directions pretty well, and I know I don't have to resort to going out 7 nights a week, but noone will confuse me with a gourmet chef.

Sushi is awsome!

As far as cheap but good food... I always revert to WENDY's.

I love arugala!

BTW--do I remember correctly that you are at least partly Korean?  Send some Korean recipes my way if you have any cuz I'm getting into Korean food now.

194758[/snapback]

No, I'm Chinese. But I do love Korean food... Bi Bim Bap (beef, veggies, and rice cooked in a hot stone pot) is awesome.

Posted Image

Sounds good!

I like a varied mix with spinach AND arugala, red leaf lettuce and some herbs...im more into feta than bleu, and i don't like candied anything because of the carbs.  Gimme some whole pecans anyday.  Chop up some apple, add some kalamata olives, and since im not a balsamic vinegar fan, i use the kalamata olive liquid as a dressing.

194792[/snapback]

When I'm lazy and I want lunch (and before the spinach e coli thing), my salad would be...

1/3 Trader Joe's organic arugala

1/3 Trader Joe's organic baby spinach

1/3 Trader Joe's organic baby spring mix

cherry tomatoes

Ranch

parmesan

steamed chicken

fresh black pepper

Normally I'm not a fan of ranch dressing, but this time it just works with the arugala.

Eh...I like Gorton's frozen fish sticks better.

194793[/snapback]

Ironically.. I hate fish. I love LJS's chicken, fries, and hush puppies, though! :lol:

Vipes, our local LJS is a complete dump.  I will never eat there again due to the condition of the building and the disgusting lack of cleanliness.  I just know they're back there stomping on roaches and getting mouse turds stuck in their sneakers while they toss my hushpuppies in the carton.  And who knows what's floating in that fryer?  *shiver*

194794[/snapback]

Luckily, the LJS's around here are pretty good, as are most fast food joints. The one's to avoid, though, are definitely the Taco Bell and McDonald's around. Ugh. Last time I ate at either, I got sick as a horse. :P

Yeah... there isn't a Wendys around here, but everytime I've been into one, the food has been great. I love their salads and spicy chicken sandwiches.

195207[/snapback]

Wendy's is alright...I used to like them a lot more than I do now though. The Spicy Chicken isn't as spicy as it once was, and the nuggets have gone downhill a lil...and they nickel and dime you with the beverages. There is no excuse for no free refills.

Anyone remember when Wendy's had salad bars? I do...

Coming from someone who lives next to Lake St. Clair... :lol:

195279[/snapback]

what? I go swimming off of Belle Isle all the time. and from metro beach. it hasnt effect me yet (Be right back have to go use the toliet then ill finsih posting)...