Number Five

Flybrian

My first accident with the Aurora occured when a Toyota 4Runner backed into me at the mall, damaging my hood and bumper guard.

My second accident occured when a Ford Mustang plowed into me on the beach, crippling my car just as I drove it home as it had busted a tie rod, right fender, bumper cover, and A/C compressor.

My third accident occured when a Toyota Solara ran into me as I was stopped at a pedestrian crosswalk, causing minimal damage to the rear bumper cover.

My fourth accident occured when a Toyota Tundra sideswiped me as my car sat minding its own business in a parking lot at Home Depot, nearly totalling the car and necessitating repair of pretty much the entire passenger side.

My fifth accident occured tonight when a second-generation Toyota Avalon hopped a curb and plowed into the left front quarter of my car. That sounds a whole lot worse than it is. Luckily for me, no airbag deployment and all of my lights even work, though the driver's hi-beam will blind Cessna pilots right now.damage is...minimal to moderate, about a 4/10 based on what I've been through. I can tell immediately it'll require likely a new bumper cover (my third), repair to the fender, and likely a new cornering lamp assembly, though it works fine. Of course, repaint of all affected parts. Fender is pushed slightly back into the door panel, so they touch just barely, but not that badly. Strightening will fix it.

She has Progressive, too. Older woman (50-60ish) and very apologetic. Admitted she was on her phone - albeit handsfree - and let it get the best of her. Exchanged info via a police white paper (FREE ACCIDENT TIP TO ALL: ALWAYS CALL THE POLICE NO MATTER WHO/WHERE/WHEN YOU'VE BEEN HIT!!!!!) and an accident report was written - her fault, of course.

No pics tonight. Girlfriend has the digi and I'm hungry. Taking it to Progressive's office Monday, so I'll get a rental on the spot, guessing an Altima or G6 based on what they generally have. I like Progressive and how they do thing, giving you a pager and all.

Ocn, I think I can become your apprentice at this point.

:idhitit:

I think you're single-handidly using up every spare Aurora part in existance.  Eventually your car wont be repairable and you will have to spring on that Corolla you've been eyeing.

194150[/snapback]

Heh, but with the rate Toyota's are running into him, by the time all of the Aurora parts are gone, that Corrola may run into him and total itself.

This is like a metaphor for something much bigger. Toyota v. GM, where will it end?

Mr. Fly, I'm sorry man. This is so stupid that you continue to be a target.

Pics please, to ease my twisted bodyshop mind.

Edited by ocnblu

Dang, Fly, it sounds like Toyota is sending people after you.

Heh, but with the rate Toyota's are running into him, by the time all of the Aurora parts are gone, that Corrola may run into him and total itself.

194161[/snapback]

Nah, he'd just be able to sit back and watch the Toymotor try to run into itself.

F'in Toyota drivers...........

Wonder if this has to do with one out of five cars being a Toyota ?

You must be getting an awful amount of paint on the front of that car ?

See today with air bags, traction control, anti lock brakes, stability control, theres no reason what so ever to have to pay attention to what we are doing. This is why we need cell phone use, TV watching, NAV screen watching and more, more, more interior gadgets to amuse ourselves while driving. It will all work out in the end...........you'll see. Just work for the insurance companies and it will be a win/win.

I believe GM executives have been sending $100 rebates to Toyota drivers who plow Oldsmobiles as a way to validate the fact that there should be no Oldsmobiles............

I am sorry about the Aurora, Fly. Its a survivor, thats for sure.

Truth is stranger than fiction....

"What is life but a series of coincedences"

I like O.B. corolary to GM vs. Toyota. Toyota SUX!

So, yeah, the insurance adjuster needs to get here now so I can get the ball rolling on this. Sigh.

Anyway, I still have parts of my computer I haven't set up since the move a week and a half ago, so pictures will have to wait a bit. They gave me the standard "Since your car is 10 or more years old, we need to look and blah blah" as if its some junky Cavalier. Sigh again.

Actually, yeah, all Florida residents, though that doesn't mean much since most are transplants. I've lived here for 20 out of my 21 years, so I'm considered a native.

Fact: Pretty much the only parts not hit on my car yet are the driver's side door, the roof, and the decklid. I don't like my odds...

Negatory, Ghost Rider.

Adjuster came and went. No problem at all...seriously didn't think it was a '96 by its condition. *pride*

I'm going to drop it off at 8:15AM on Wednesday and the Progressive Express Dealie office in Tampa, pick up my rental, and kiss my baby good-bye for another week or so.

I feel for both you and your Olds. It's a real trooper though - like the old Timex commercials say, "Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!"

I was hit by a piece of flying debris on a highway in Trenton, NJ yestrerday. Thankfully I had the Malibu. It was a piece of sheetrock, about 3'x3', lying on the side of the road next to the concrete median. The 18-wheeler in front of me kicked it up with his left rear trailer wheels and I couldn't swerve as I would have hit the car in the right lane. So I held the steering wheel and watched in horror as this piece of sheetrocked slammed against my driver's side. The big casualty is the driver's sideview mirror. I thought there would be some dents or creases in the side, but what only looked like a really wide, long scratch from the left front fender, driver's & passenger's rear doors. Little wood pieces were stuck in the corners of the door handles. Upon inspection, the "scratches" appear to wipe off, I'm assuming it's the chalk from the sheetrock. However, the mirror housing in cracked, the glass part is shattered, the motors aren't working and I know the entire unit will need to be replaced. Minor compared to your accident, but enough to piss me off because it's $$$ out of my pocket for an unnecessary repair. Thank God I wasn't driving the SKY!

I feel for both you and your Olds.  It's a real trooper though - like the old Timex commercials say, "Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!" 

I was hit by a piece of flying debris on a highway in Trenton, NJ yestrerday.  Thankfully I had the Malibu.  It was a piece of sheetrock, about 3'x3', lying on the side of the road next to the concrete median.  The 18-wheeler in front of me kicked it up with his left rear trailer wheels and I couldn't swerve as I would have hit the car in the right lane.  So I held the steering wheel and watched in horror as this piece of sheetrocked slammed against my driver's side.  The big casualty is the driver's sideview mirror.  I thought there would be some dents or creases in the side, but what only looked like a really wide, long scratch from the left front fender, driver's & passenger's rear doors.  Little wood pieces were stuck in the corners of the door handles.  Upon inspection, the "scratches" appear to wipe off, I'm assuming it's the chalk from the sheetrock.  However, the mirror housing in cracked, the glass part is shattered, the motors aren't working and I know the entire unit will need to be replaced.  Minor compared to your accident, but enough to piss me off because it's $$$ out of my pocket for an unnecessary repair.  Thank God I wasn't driving the SKY!

194973[/snapback]

I busted the mirror assembly on the Suburban once. It's heated, electrochromatic, and has the turn signal in it. The dealer wanted 450 for the glass alone and I can't remember for the assembly. I bought it all on ebay for about 200 bucks, so I would say that you should look there first.

Negatory, Ghost Rider.

Adjuster came and went. No problem at all...seriously didn't think it was a '96 by its condition. *pride*

194941[/snapback]

Yeah. Progressive Rocks. :)

And hey, I wouldn't mind an '01 4.0L myself.

Good luck on all the repairs. Sucks that your car keeps on getting plowed into like that. Bad luck, man.

Anyway, that's a sweet model, WMJ. Where'd you find that?

Edited by Turbojett

thats horrible fly. If you need a full time guard to watch your car let me know in the mean time ill polish up my scope :AH-HA_wink:

Seems you need exterior aigbags though. Good Luck!

Some background...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Totaled.

I get a call at 3:30PM today from some guy at the Progressive shop in Tampa. He asks me if I want to come by and get the rest of my stuff from my car or what since its being totaled. "Uh...what?" I ask. Yeah, totaled. He says they can tow it back to my house, I say, "yes I want it home."

Immediately, I call my adjuster. Voicemail. Four times. So, I call the 800 number and they direct me to the St. Petersburg office where my adjuster is it. I talk to his boss (apparently) and explain the bull$h! presented to me. Eventually, I get to talking with my adjuster at 4:45PM. I tell him straight out, I'm going to want my car back and I'll fix it my damn self. He tells me all this stuff, "Oh, you'll never be able to drive it legally again, get it titled again, get it insured, get tags," half bull$h! and I know it. I say, well, I'll let it rot here.

That's bad enough, but I get home, tell my father. We figure out we'll have the car sitting here until it gets fixed and I'll just carpool to work, hitch rides for a month or so, save up enough for a down payment on a new car or pay outright for another Classic Aurora. The only new car I'd accept would be a Buick Lucerne CXS. Call me silly or spoiiled, but its the closest thing to my car that's currently being made and if I can't have a nice, lower-mileage Aurora, that is the only thing I'd go into debt over.

Around 6:30PM, a knock on the door. Its the tow truck driver with my car. My dad stares out the door and says, "Brian, that's not your car...is it? Jesus f@#king Christ." I put on my shoes, go out, look. Sure is my car. Except now some cocksucker took a chop saw to the bumper cover and cut it across the entire car. He must be autistic, too, because he cut it all the way to the right side where there is no damage. The pink marker even reads “NO DMG” with an arrow pointing there. In addition, they ripped out the operating headlamp cluster that had a small fissure in it and chucked it along with a perfectly functional and undamaged maker/cornering lamp. That's not an inspection; that's a mutilation. Here’s what I have now...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh, here’s what was wrong with it – headlamp cluster, fender, bumper cover, hood, radiator, coolant boilover, and frame damage. There’s no damage at all to the hood. Period. I don’t have the estimate right now, but over the phone, the adjuster told me the radiator “may be damaged, but it seems to be working fine.” Yeah, I drove for 150 miles after the accident and not a single degree above normal and no leaks. Thanks. Also, this “frame damage,” I saw it. Wanna see it?

Posted Image

It’s that. A dent less than a square inch in behind the headlamp. I know that’s what they’re talking about because he read it to me and I saw it indicated with their stupid little marker. That equals $4600? That equals totaled? Bull$h!. In addition, my new $450 Sony digital camera is gone. No where in the car at all and I noticed they tried to box up most of my stuff.

They’re not going to shuck and jive me. My father and I called the national number and lodged a scathing complaint. You don’t take saw off the wrong half of the bumper cover; you remove it with the eight retaining screws that hold it in place just like the Buick dealership did when they fixed it after my first accident. You don’t throw away a headlamp cluster and vital parts to the car and then say you’re not going to fix it. You don’t sit there and tell me this outright bull$h! about how the car is unfixable, can’t be titled, and how I should just sign the car over to them and take the big money payoff. You don’t try and convince me its better off not to buy the car back and have it sit here. And you don’t have your ‘Total Loss Assistance’ department call me forty-f@#king-five minutes later trying to refer me to a dealership so I can buy a new car. And you don't steal my property out of my goddamn car.

Progressive's "body shop" claims $4600 in damage versus my car's value of $4100. $3100 was the total from my Mustang accident, the one that busted a tire, a tie rod, and half the air conditioning unit as well as the fender, bumper cover, headlamp cluster, a foglamp, a horn, and an ABS unit.

I’m not standing for this crap. My car is not salvage. She will be fixed, she will be retitled as a rebuild, and she will prowl the roads again.

I’m not giving up my Aurora, not after what I saw they did to her for no reason.

She will be back.

Oh man, now I understand. This makes me sick. It's not a fun feeling knowing you're the only one that cares about your car. I completely understand what you're going through. Fight the good fight...this car deserves it.

As a word of caution, in the eyes of the body shop you take the car to, you're paying for the repair yourself. In a shop that regularly deals with insurance claims, you'll be given a low priority because they'll need to bang out the insurance jobs first. I would say go to a shop that specializes in restorations instead. In those shops the car remains in the shop until it's done, and you'll probably get a higher quality paint job, as restoration customers are typically mroe demanding.

Good luck, Brian.

I don't know Florida's laws as far as difficulties involved in obtaining a reconstructed title. I know once a car is declared total here in PA, by law it has to be reported to Harrisburg.

It seems, for that price, the estimate was written for new parts as opposed to good used parts.

The bumper cover wasn't damaged beyond repair based on your photos. It should not have been cut. Removing the headlight would have sufficed to check for apron damage, but, with the fender interfering with the headlight, maybe they could not take it out without "removing" the bumper. I know the first-gen Auroras are tight to work on in the front ends.

The teardown looks like it was done by a kid right out of vo-tech. Looking at the pictures before the butchering, it doesn't look bad, but it is dangerous for me to say that as it is illegal for me to write an estimate without physically laying my hands on the car.

I'd be interested in seeing the estimate, maybe I could help answer some questions about it if there are any left unanswered.

Good luck Brian, this does not look good.

Edited by ocnblu

Guest YellowJacket894

Damn, Brian. They're giving you $h! for no reason.

And I just don't understand why they mutilated the car like that. From the first set of photos in your recent post, the car doesn't look like it's in a very crippling state and still driveable. The second set is pretty stark in contrast.

I'd give them the worst hell imaginable over this. An insurance firm has no right to treat someone's personal property with such disregard. And I'd demand some sort of payment for the loss of the camera. Five-hundred dollars doesn't come from thin air.

Edited by YellowJacket894