Chevrolet Sequel

HarleyEarl

Posted Image

GM’s press release:

GM REINVENTS THE AUTOMOBILE: CHEVROLET SEQUEL IS A BETTER, CLEANER, PETROLEUM-FREE SOLUTION

SAN DIEGO – General Motors today allowed journalists to drive the most technologically advanced automobile ever built – the Chevrolet Sequel, GM’s solution to provide the world with a cleaner, petroleum-free vehicle that is better in nearly every way.

“General Motors is proving that advanced technology can remove the automobile from the environmental debate and reduce our dependence on petroleum,” said Larry Burns, GM vice president, research & development and strategic planning. “Chevy Sequel clearly shows that our vision for the future of the automobile is real and sustainable.”

Sequel was introduced in 2005 at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. It is the first vehicle in the world to successfully integrate a hydrogen fuel cell propulsion system with a broad menu of advanced technologies such as steer-and brake-by-wire controls, wheel hub motors, lithium-ion batteries and a lightweight aluminum structure. It uses clean, renewable hydrogen as a fuel and emits only water vapor.

“Sequel fundamentally changes the DNA of today’s automobiles … exchanging an internal combustion engine, petroleum and mechanical systems for fuel cell propulsion, hydrogen and electrical systems,” Burns said. “In Sequel, GM has created a real vehicle that promises to excite customers and lead to long-term, sustainable automotive transportation.”

Compared to other fuel cell vehicles, Sequel has an unprecedented range of 300 miles between fill-ups and spirited acceleration, attaining 60 mph in just 10 seconds. Sequel also has all the amenities one would expect in a premium, five-passenger crossover SUV, including impressive styling, a spacious interior and an all-aluminum body and structure designed to meet all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. It has a low-profile, skateboard-like chassis that houses all of its main propulsion, braking and chassis components.

“Sequel is a vehicle that is better in nearly every way – quicker, more sure-footed, easier to handle, easier to build and better looking, while being safe and emitting only water vapor,” said Burns.

Other benefits include:

- Unequaled control on snow and ice, or uneven terrain

- 70-percent more torque for unparalleled acceleration

- Shorter braking distances

- Ability to “talk” to other vehicles about traffic congestion or road conditions

“Four years ago, our chairman and CEO, Rick Wagoner, challenged us to completely rethink the automobile,” Burns said. “With the Chevy Sequel, we have now met Rick’s challenge by reinventing the automobile and making it real. We’ve proven a new DNA for vehicles that is viable for the future.”

Specifications: GM Chevrolet Sequel

General

Vehicle type: all-wheel-drive crossover vehicle with fuel cell and by-wire technology

Chassis: aluminum substructures

Body: aluminum body / frame integral structure with aluminum panels and aluminum closures

Seating capacity: 4 or 5

Dimensions

Wheelbase (in / mm): 119.7 / 3040

Length (in / mm): 196.6 / 4994

Width (in / mm): 77.4 / 1966

Height (in / mm): 66.8 / 1697

Curb weight (lb / kg): 4774 / 2170

Fuel storage system

Type: 3 carbon composite high-pressure tanks for hydrogen mounted in the sandwich chassis

Service pressure (psi / bar): 10,000 / 700

Storage capacity (lb / kg): 17.6 / 8

Fuel cell power module

Power (kW): 73

Battery system

Type: lithium-ion high-power battery pack

Power (kW): 65

Electric traction system

Front system: 3-phase asynchronous electric motor with integrated power electronics and planetary gear

Power (kW): 65

Torque (lb-ft / Nm): 1740 / 2350

Gear ratio: 10.95:1

Rear system: 2 3-phase permanent magnet synchronous, direct drive, electric wheel hub motors

Power (kW): 2 times 25

Torque (lb-ft / Nm): 2 times 590/800

Gear ratio: 1:1

Total traction power (kW): 115

Total torque at wheels (lb-ft/Nm): 2920 / 3950

Performance

Acceleration 0-60 mph (sec): < 10

Top speed (mph / km/h): 90 / 145

Operating range (miles / km): 300 / 480

Edited by HarleyEarl

I like it! A lot! Nice innovative direction, different from what I expected. Could this look similar to the rumored 2010 Lambda, if not a thinly-disguised unveil?

Well, remember. This is a lone platform. Not related to the Lambda at all since it's riding on that skateboard chassis but I'm sure a lot of the design elements could show up. This is a very futuristic looking chevy so I doubt we'd have anything looking like this that soon.

I can't explain it but for some reason the crossbar in the grill.. and full roof make it a little bit less ugly than the GM Sequel. It's good that someone is really pushing on alternative fuel methods.. just as long as they put out the smooth rumble of a pushrod v8 :P

Though.. I still think it looks like this in some aspects (mainly the headlights):

Posted Image

Edited by Decka

At alittle more then 2 1/2 tons, its not entirely heavy. And with 3000 lb/ft is alot but then again its mainly electric. I only wished it would pick up a bit faster, but hopely only GM brings it to the market b4 honda releases thier next FCX, and they will be the ones with the first mass produced hydrogen vehicle. GM's lineup of 2010 looks promising.

Makes the Prius look like a '83 Corolla, and that's just based on styling.

Looks great! Ok, so the car is ready..... but how about hydrogen filling stations? How costly and how hard will it be to start throwing these up at filling stations to make them fesable for market?

I've had great interest in GM's hydrogen research since Autonomy was introduced in the late '90's. I only hope this can come true VERY soon. This would make hybrids instantly obsolete and make EVERYBODY play catch up to GM>

Edited by BuddyP

The great thing about hydrogen cars is how the all the running gear can be integrated throughout the bottom of the car and only be 11 in thick.....the skateboard idea that GM developed.

Posted Image

192366[/snapback]

Yeah, that's going to keep the center of gravity nice and low, it should handle great for a 4800 lb vehicle.

I know it's just a concept, but I'd really like to see something different for a dash design, a full console for one, and a different gauge pod.... I like the blue gauge there, just dont' like the bubble around it.

I'm not really well versed in hydrogen technology.  All those big openings/vents on this vehicle, does it need a lot of ventilation being a hydrogen car?

192257[/snapback]

Probably. The fuel cell splits O2 molecules from the air (oxygen atoms left to themselves will cling to each other in pairs) into single oxygen atoms. It also splits H2 molecules (same thing, they like to pair up) into single hydrogen atoms. When this happens, there are leftover electrons that go floating about, and the fuel cell routes them through wiring.

Ta da! electricity!

Then, the electrons meet up with all these singled atoms on the other end of the fuel cell, and the H's and the O's get together & make H2O. Obviously, since there's a little more H in water than O, it takes more H2 than O2, but it all works out, and you just get electricity, heat, and water. :)

All that O2 comes from regular air, so it makes sense that they need some good intake ducts. Shame those couldn't be included solely in the skateboard, apparently.

Personally, I think this vehicle looks great, except for the ducts beneith the tail lights. Shape them more nicely, leave the rest alone, and it'd look great. I wouldn't necessarily try to hide all the duct openings all together - they tell you that there's something different about this vehicle, and that would appeal to a lot of people. Just make sure the openings are shaped, styled, and located right. :)

Oh, and I think that chevy bar with the holes in it looks VERY classy! Wouldn't be a bad idea for regular production cars... ;)

Now if only... we could get some nuclear infrastructure in place, and get some hydrogen production going, we'd have an environmental party.

Sadly, the treehuggers can't see past their nose on these issues  :nono:

192429[/snapback]

I agree. Nuclear is a great stopgap which will provide the increased production needed to bring cars onto the grid. Hopefully it is only a stopgap though, and renewable energy such as wind or solar can be slowly built over the next 30 or 40 years.

They need to start building a lot more nuclear plants, right now!!

Am I the only one who hates the skateboard?

192487[/snapback]

Must be, I think it's a very well executed idea.

192510[/snapback]

Same here, I think it has some cool capabilities... Why do you hate it?

Edited by AAS

Every time I bring up anything car related be it that my car needs new front tires or GM's investment in E85, my dad says he will buy the first hydrogen car to come to the market. From the looks of the Sequel, it won't be long now! :)

192427[/snapback]

BMW announced that they will release a hydrogen-burning car, early next year; it will be a 7-Series.

and gm and bmw been working on this together, too. 

how far behind is toyota on this one?

192542[/snapback]

I don't know about Toyota, but Honda has been leasing out their FCX (hydrogen fuel-cell) around here. I saw one driving just this morning.

The real difficulty is creating the hydrogen infrastructure and making the technology affordable.

BMW's hydrogen car has a traditional ICE, I believe.

This is a significant car.  A milestone.

192075[/snapback]

Why is this news soo significant???? Every car company, including GM, has had demonstrator fuel-cell vehicles. GM has already built a spearate one a while ago.

The technology behind fuel-cell vehicles is still incredibly far from making it mainstream. Infact, its not even that easy to produce them as a niche product because the technology is far from proven and the hydrogen fuel isn't exactly easy to come by. Not to mention it would cost at least in the hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy.

I just wish GM invested its millions into building a real hybrid engine instead of this public relations vehicle.

Why is this news soo significant???? Every car company, including GM, has had demonstrator fuel-cell vehicles...

192800[/snapback]

Only GM's is a "skateboard" chassis (self contained fuel tanks, drivetrain, breaks and suspension) with proposed optional plug-n-play bodies.

Why is this news soo significant???? Every car company, including GM, has had demonstrator fuel-cell vehicles. GM has already built a spearate one a while ago.

The technology behind fuel-cell vehicles is still incredibly far from making it mainstream. Infact, its not even that easy to produce them as a niche product because the technology is far from proven and the hydrogen fuel isn't exactly easy to come by. Not to mention it would cost at least in the hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy.

I just wish GM invested its millions into building a real hybrid engine instead of this public relations vehicle.

192800[/snapback]

It's significant because of its range, mostly. And fuel cells are very proven, though I'd agree that some of the connected technology likely needs more work, and the cost of the technology reduced. Fuel infrastructure is probably easily the #1 challenge, though it's far from the only one.

Oh, and have you not hear about the 3-mode hybrid system that GM has created and will be putting in vehicles before long? Yeah, that's right - they did this "public relations vehicle" AND a real hybrid drivetrain (I don't think you can call any of them hybrid engines unless they start putting the electric motor inside the block...).

Edited by PurdueGuy

192800[/snapback]

Adding to PurdueGuy's post:

This is a significant car because unlike the other hydrogen fuel cell vehicles, they still rely on the archaic combustion engine, which is terribly inefficient when you compare it to the skateboard engine.

In addition, Hydrogen is one of the most abundant elements on earth, producing the fuel may be expensive but Hydrogen will always be available and can be extracted from a variety of sources. Everyone is aware that the costs are high. That’s why GM and the other automakers involved in Hydrogen fuel cell development are working with other companies to help bring the cost down and set up an infrastructure of hydrogen refueling stations. The US government is even helping along with other countries around the world. Do not think that they haven’t addressed your concerns.

GM will have several mild and full hybrids on the market by the end of the decade. The first hybrid will be out very soon if you've been paying attention to the news.

Seems like someone is drinking too much Automotive press Kool Aid.

Edited by Cadillacfan

This is a significant car because unlike the other hydrogen fuel cell vehicles, they still rely on the archaic combustion engine, which is terribly inefficient when you compare it to the skateboard engine.

192915[/snapback]

Actually, if it's a hydrogen vehicle using an ICE, it wouldn't be called a fuel cell vehicle, just a hydrogen vehicle. ;) Your point is quite good and valid, just a terminology thing, though quite a few other cars (concepts) have used the fuel cells vs the hydrogen ICE.

No where do they give any indication when (or if) this vehicle will be produced. It certainly looks more 'production car' than 'far out concept'. And the fact its an evolved version of the orginal GM Sequel shows there are pans for the car... but some info however vague about a timeframe would be good.

I think they've mentioned 2010 in the past haven't they? I don't see why they would show a very production ready looking concept a full 4 years out from its on sale date though.