Tradmark Activity

HarleyEarl

GM reregistered the name 'Fiero' in June/06.

On October 06/06, the name 'Firebird' will be 'published for opposition'. This is a required step in the trademark process. This republication suggests that the name may be used again.

Edited by HarleyEarl

Yeah it's probably due to keeping the name and nothing else. Look at Ford and the name "Futura". It was going to use this name for what is now known as the Fusion but Pep Boys prevented them from using it since it was a brand name for their tires. The really funny thing is that Ford used the name first several decades back but since they didn't renew it, the lost it and will probably not be able to use it again.

GM may want to use the name again but I wouldn't count on it right now. The name still has a stigma to it.

Edited by Cadillacfan

Yeah it's probably due to keeping the name and nothing else.  Look at Ford and the name "Futura".  It was going to use this name for what is now known as the Fusion but Pep Boys prevented them from using it since it was a brand name for their tires.  The really funny thing is that Ford used the name first several decades back but since they didn't renew it, the lost it and will probably not be able to use it again.

GM may want to use the name again but I wouldn't count on it right now.  The name still has a stigma to it.

191129[/snapback]

A stigma? LMAO! Unless you're talking about people born in 1960 or early you're incorrect. And if you're talking about people born later, they will have no idea what you're talking about.

As a 21 year Fiero owner there is a snowballs chance that Pontiac will be making a Fiero now or in the future.

They will make a Fiero just after Chevy reintro's a new Corvair.

Besides I don't think after spending all this time and money on the Soltice they would be planning a second 2 seater let alone another low priced Mid engine after the second MR2 died. If we see anything it will be a Solstice coupe or convertible on a second gen platform with a bigger trunk in a few years.

This was just done to protect them on trademark infringment on repo parts etc. It gives them the say so on who can make what and to what degree of quality. All Detroit MFG's and even the tire companies have been doing this for a while.

As for the Firebird I not going to give it a Snowballs chance but after the GTO and everyone saying this is not what a GTO looks like I would rule it out.

Even if Pontiac did a retro GTO there are those who would be made it looked like a second gen and not a first gen or vise a versa. Leve the modern retro to Chevy.

Pontiac would have to do a very retro car to stop the B#t@hing and right now Pontiac really needs a outstandingly euro styled car but not a retro.

In either case it would be difficult for GM to use either name right now on any car. A complete new name would not carry any stigma positive or negitive to the new car from the part models.

In either case both are much to do about nothing from Autoblog.

I just wish Pontiac would new real names for their new models as the G system sucks.

Edited by hyperv6

We go through this every so often... As much as I hope a car

just like the one in your sig roars back to life in 2009/2010

wiht the Firebird name I think this is just for the sake of 1:18

scale models, T-shirts, posters & such.

A new Fiero would be cool, but from what I hear there are still many people with sore feelings at GM from when the last one was killed.

191224[/snapback]

There are many sore feelings in GM and with the UAW yet. It is better now than ever but the 1990 Fiero was never publicly shown till just a few years back because of the bad feelings that were going on in and around GM.

A lot of people got burn by GM managment and Chevy.

I have no proof of anything.  But I'll bet we'll see at least a Firebird and maybe even a Fiero.....not the like the original...but the name used on another car.  The Solstice coupe for instance?

191815[/snapback]

If I were betting.

I find the Firebird name a remote chance but feel Pontiac will get hit with it does not look like a Firebird again as they did with the GTO. To reuse a old name on a new car not heavy on the retro can be polarizing as we have seen.

The value of the Fiero name to Pontiac is low as it is a damaged name and I see no place for it. The cost to recover the name for use again would be too high. Besides if GM had any use for the Fiero name they would have used it on the Solstice.

I am not a Fiero hater by any means as I am a 21 year Fiero owner. But I would be the first to never understand why Pontiac would name a new car with a damaged [in the eyes of the public] name for a new car.

Pontiac should just use Banshee on a car as they have on several showcars and not worry about the wailing ghost image. It is just a cool name!

All in all it is time for Pontiac to move on and go into the future and try to rehash the past. We have has enough of the name game of plastering a name like Bonneville on a Lemans and Lemans on a Korean Opel.

Sometimes going home is not how you remember.

I was always partial to the name Ventura roo bad there is no place for it today as many will not remember that car. It would be like a fresh start with little stigma.

Edited by hyperv6

All good points. But I don't think Fiero is as damaged as one thinks. I don't see that name in a negative way at all. And I dare say the public won't either.

I believe we will see a Firebird and not a GTO. You heard it here, so remember when it all unfolds. I believe GM fans are in for a surprise.

Just me thinking out loud. Just mulling over things.

All good points.  But I don't think Fiero is as damaged as one thinks.  I don't see that name in a negative way at all.  And I dare say the public won't either.

I believe we will see a Firebird and not a GTO.  You heard it here, so remember when it all unfolds.  I believe GM fans are in for a surprise.

Just me thinking out loud.  Just mulling over things.

191847[/snapback]

I would not be shocked by a Firebird before GTO at this point but I wish they would break out of the mold if they are doing a car that will be different from the Camaro [less Pony car like].

Believe me the Fiero name is damaged! If you own one you know all the negitive things the uninformed masses say. I have heard them for years.

These things catch fire, They are unsafe, There engines blow up, These things are junk. ETC.

Fiero's did have problems but most were confind to the Iron Duke powered cars. Most V6 cars were very reliable and will last for 200K miles with proper care.

To the informed the Fiero name is not damaged but to the general uniformed public it needs a lot of work before it would be seen in a positive light with the public.

Besides Pontiac did little to help the Fiero's rep till it was bringing back the Solstice then it shined a positive light on it's history with the Fiero. Till just a year or two ago many at GM still wished the car had never been built and treated it as such.

Time will help mellow the public on the Fiero name like the Corvair but even the Vair still has the stigma yet today. The sad part was the 1965 car was a great car and never got the credit by the general public.

I love my car and I would love to see the name used again but I just don't see it in the cards. If there is a Solstice coupe it will be called a Solstice Coupe and not Fiero.

Well at least that is my take for what it's worth. Well just have to wait and see.

I do know many more people are making repo parts for the Fiero and GM is doing more to protect it's rights toward the car in that respect.

Posted Image

192912[/snapback]

Aww man, I love that. That car is absolute sex.

I just sold my 86GT. I'll get another one that day. I'd like it to be that ^^ one.

Edit: Another thing about that photo: Look at the black truck. It looks like a blazer with a removable roof, right? That also would be f@#king sweet today!

Edited by nyscene911

The Truth is the 1990 Fiero was kind of sort of built by GM.

They took the original styling and adapted it to the front engine RWD F bodies.

John Schinella said it was too good to waste.

Posted Image

I think you can see how similar the lines of the 1990 Fiero can be seen in the F body.

Aww man, I love that.  That car is absolute sex.

I just sold my 86GT.  I'll get another one that day.  I'd like it to be that ^^ one.

Edit:  Another thing about that photo:  Look at the black truck.  It looks like a blazer with a removable roof, right?  That also would be f@#king sweet today!

192989[/snapback]

Completely agree with all you said!!

And I wish GM would bring back a 2-door suv with removable top!!.........I'd be frist in line. I miss the GM that did things like that.

Please note the car today has blsck sail panels but originally they were tinted see through.

One side was damaged a while back and this being the only car they had no replacment. The repaied it and painted it black to cover the repair.

It was good GM did make it a priority to save this car but the 3 known 1990 coupes were crushed a while back.

The red car I have been told was flat black, gray and then painted red. It was the only running prototype. Some of the pictures of this car show a non mesh wheel, they were drivable plastic wheels Motor Wheel was looking to make but never went into production. They were lighter but not that much. The first time I picked one up I did not even notice it was plastic till I was told to look at the back side.

The Truth is the 1990 Fiero was kind of sort of built by GM.

They took the original styling and adapted it to the front engine RWD F bodies.

John Schinella said it was too good to waste.

Posted Image

I think you can see how similar the lines of the 1990 Fiero can be seen in the F body.

193010[/snapback]

I think it resembles the Firebird a bit more. After all they're both Pontiacs. :D

Posted Image