The Regal and Cherokee are dead to me, but...

american_revolution_2005

The dealer still has the Regal but I don't want it. I went to go make a deal on the Cherokee but they sold it off. I went to the back lot to look but they had something better. My patience is up, I found THE ONE. So sitting back there with an 1989 Pontiac 6000 Safari with portholes, a 1997 Cavalier, and the Regal is a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire GT with only 114,000 kms on it. It is black and has power everything and a sunroof. They want $3500 for it. What do you think? Here are the pictures.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks like mine my mom's... except her's is dark blue. Personally, it handles well and isn't a slouch (0-60 in 7.8s and it can burn out... easily :P ), but from my experience, they're pretty $h!ty. It is a J-body afterall and my mom's makes me not want one. The engine feels like crap. And everything about it feels like its going to fall apart. But for a first car at only $3500, it's more than acceptable. I wouldn't taken it.

Personally I like them and I know many people who have owned and still own them. I like the looks of them and this one is loaded as well. Sunroof, power locks, power windows, automatic, etc. I have had a couple people advise me that this is a good first car. BTW, that is $3500 CAN so I dont know what it would go for in the US.

I had a 2001 Sunfire. Not a bad car. Protected me well when I destroyed it too. Mine was also black.

The only real weakness these J-bodies seem to have is a frame prone to warping in the front - that is, if you hit something with the front or the door, the quarter panel and door will bind. Just be careful with it and you should be OK.

I will be very careful with it. I am ot going to be a retarded driver and try to get air of of speed bumps. I have seen that and know it doesn't work. The rednecks and tuner people try it. There have been a couple wrecked. Its a good way to ruin a bodykit lol. They also had a 1997 Cavalier there with over 300,000 kms on it. It still was in excellent shape and also passed emission testing and safety standards. That Cavalier should be a good sign.

Edited by american_revolution_2005

Guest YellowJacket894

Well, go for it.

Just a shot in the dark, but isn't $3500 bucks Canadian somewhere around $2700 in U.S. bucks?

In any case, if the Canadian price isn't that much of a difference between the US price, it sounds very reasonable to me.

The J-Body is. . .well, the S-10 of compact cars. :D The interior squeaks and rattles here and there, and the interior plastic is a little on the cheap side (although most of it is pretty squishy. . .well, in the S-10 anyway), but it's soild as the Rock of Gibralter and, with modifications, can be the most unqiue and a pretty impressive performer.

And, hey, in the future you could keep it and convert it to rear-drive as a project. :AH-HA_wink: :D

BTW, that is $3500 CAN so I dont know what it would go for in the US.

190716[/snapback]

I think that equates to two rubber bands, a rusty paper clip, and a chewing gum wrapper :canada::P

Seriously, J Bodies will last a very long time with a mnimum level of maintenance. I've had experience with both the old 2.2L and the 2.4L twin cam that came with those cars, and they're pretty close to bulletproof. My dad's Skylark with the 2.4L has 160K miles on it and just now needs its first tuneup. My sister's old Cavvy with the 2.2L lasted for well over 200K miles, and didn't leak or burn anything when she sold it.

BTW, that front fascia is my favorite out of all the ones they've used on the Sunfire.

Guest YellowJacket894

BTW, that front fascia is my favorite out of all the ones they've used on the Sunfire.

190734[/snapback]

:withstupid:

The one on the GX/P concept was pretty nice, too, though.

Edited by YellowJacket894

My family just must be prone to $h!ty cars then. I would never call the 2.4L in ours "bullitproof". Funny, though... the two Grand Ams we had before it and the Blazer were exceptionally good, reliability wise. Even after the two wrecks the 00 SE went through.

And as far as looks go, I dislike those front fascias. They look cool at night, but that's about it. It's just way too much of a mess to actually look good. Nothing flows and looks out of place with the rest of the car. I much prefer the look of the original GT with its simple yet sporty look. Or the the newest design, especially the GXP concept.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by blackviper8891

I'd say go for it. Sure you may have few, minor, flukey things go with it, but overall, its a reliable and sturdy car. I haven't seen any problems with ones I've worked on (oil changes, brakes, nothing interior engine related), and they're all still on the road today, so I can't complain in the least about them.

Well, I'll offer yout he opposite view here on the Sunfire. My parents just got rid of their 2002 Sunfire SE coupe for a leftover 2006 G6 V6 sedan... and they couldn't have been happier.

The problems? The power window motors/regulators were constantly wearing out, and their not cheap to have replaced. The mileage odometer/trip odometer display went blank and did not indicate the mileage. I think riding on a surfboard with wheels was more comfortable. Very cramped interior with horrible Fisher-Price plastics. The pump for the windshiled washer fluid was cracked and leaked fluid (not the platic container, the actual pump). Power was decent, but not hot rod-like. My dad took care of it too, which is the sad part. He finished paying it off in April, was going to buy new tires (with only 27,000 original miles, the tires on it were crap), but thought it was too much of a money pit already. Because of the non-working digital odometer (went through State inspection in June and was recorded with mileage in the high 26k area), the condition of the tires, and some small scratches & dents, the best trade-in deal he could get was $4,000. The car was loaded with power windows/locks/mirrors, sunroof, cd player, 4-speed auto trans with Enhanced Traction Control (ETC), and the upgraded chrome wheelcovers.

My parents are happy to be gone with it. The funny part is their insurance was higher on the 2002 Sunfire than on their 2005 Saturn VUE (and now the G6). The reason - they're usually totalled in an accident, or if not totalled cost some $$$ to get repaired. Insurance companies don't want to take a big loss on a crappy vehicle.

Just my $0.02 here (the sad part was I always loved the '95-'99 Sunfire GT models)

In the end, after all the B.S. and annalytical stuff buying a car

is mostly a "emotional decision" so just do what YOU want.

As long as you're happy who cares right? It's not s Camry or

a Yugo so just go with your gut. :)