Has your job/work changed you?

knightfan26917

When I was younger, I was an introvert. I had very few friends ... and didn't feel well liked, if even liked at all. Within the last few years, however, that has changed ... dramatically. I am now an extrovert.

Yet, my current job (call center rep for an annuity contact center) is changing me back to an introvert. Most of the callers are unhappy about one thing or another (understandably, of course) ... and that grates on my nerves so much so that I have yet to go to a local cruise night this year. It doesn't help that I'm "tied to the desk" 24/7 while I'm at work. I get home and don't want to do anything; haven't even had the older 4 MCs out much this year. I cringe if my phone rings, no matter who it is. Over the weekends, it is a bit better, but I'm so drained (physically and emotionally) from the week that barely anything gets done.

Yes, I am searching for a new job ... but even that search drains more energy (not to mention time) ... and its starting to really get to me.

Heh ... I'm in my 30s and just don't seem to have found my niche yet ... something that "society" seems to "frown" upon.... Even more, sometimes, I don't feel I belong anywhere. A friend was telling me about his 22-year-old cousin who recently settled down and started a family; I'm almost 11 years older than him ... and haven't even had the opportunity (if you know what I mean) to have kids.

Hmmm...that October road trip out west is looking very very very good right about now. Then again, I'd need to reverse the current trend of going back to being an introvert ;).

Sooo...how about you? Has your career path changed you?

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

"Beginning to think that I'm wasting time" ... Dobie Gray ... 'Drift Away'

Blah.

Swamped with work. even working after work right now. then hauling machinery and old supplies to another shop in my 1 hour of free time i have a day. I feel its going to be like this till and least January or next September. Blah

(phone rings) yeppie i get to go to another job.

I work at UPS... I'm more energetic and faster at what I do... not like the UPS guy on Mad Tv, but getting there...

190877[/snapback]

:lol: If you were like that guy you would probably have some suspicions on smoking crack.

But really Im so drained from this week. never had so much work. didnt even have time to blow off and surf the web on company time.

its to the point where if i ever see another f@#king Cad drawing i need to change i will want to just hit the computer with a bat.

Between that and parts molding I have been busy. Some Company's prototype shop went under and then we got all of there projects/Accounts. some half complete. Kind of a mess really.

Architecture is a weird field, with people running the gamut from artsy-fartsy design types who aren't technically proficient to people who should have been engineers or construction managers. I don't back down very easily and, because you are constantly challenged and confronted, this field has given me a stronger personality....you can't let a contractor walk on you, or they will.

But I think I had a strong personality to begin with. I have become a little bitter from being in this field and don't plan to stay in it for the long haul. I had a previous occupation and am planning to return to it. It suits my extroverted side better.

Architecture is better suited for introverts with a lot of patience for painstakingly long hours and detailed work. I was an introvert as a teenager and, by the time I left college, I was an extrovert. In fact, when I was in H.S. and took an assessment test for career aptitude, my highest score was for architecture. Then, 10 years later (after college), my aptitude for architecture, according to the numbers on aptitude tests was very low, probably because my personality was no longer suited for it. But I still went back to grad school and went into it anyway. :stupid:

Edited by trinacriabob

I have a hard time just getting/staying in the field I wanted...

It's been take a struggle... :(

My biggest debated is whether I should go out of state or not...

191997[/snapback]

Im my honest opinion I would say pack up the family and get away and dont look back. I have a feeling its going to get worst. I know when i Retire im moving out of here. probably to Alaska and plow snow and grate roads.

Also my Previous "job" has been haunting me lately. Apparently If you do harm to a group of radicals they want to find you, and well... I wont go any further.

Who works on computers alot in there job? since well i have this problem of going through monitors, mouses, and keyboards. Can anyone explain that?

I think my perspective on work and meaning of work has changed..when I was a psycho Phd academic in my mid-20s, and my years in startup companies afterwards, I was very enthusiastic, gung-ho, 'do whatever it takes if means working 100 hrs a week to get the job done', make a difference, etc).

After a couple of rounds of burnout and depression in my early 30s, I'm more cynical about corporate life, more resistant to doing any overtime, and more interested in enjoying my vacation time. I've made gains in position and pay, but I'm not driven to be the VP of Engineering or CTO if that means working 75-80 hrs a week (which it usually does).

I've never been interested in the normal 'get married, settle down in suburbia, raise 2.5 kids, and have a minivan' lifestyle that so many of my peers have... my g/f and I have talked about marriage, but I don't think we will get married any time soon..though I have thought about moving to the 'burbs so I can have more square footage.

I've also thought about becoming an independent contractor/hire gun again, I did it briefly a few years ago..after 4 years in the same company (that has gone from 150 people to 300 people to 25000 people now after 2 aquisitions) I'm getting bored with the insurance software business..

I'd like to work abroad at some point also...

Im my honest opinion I would say pack up the family and get away and dont look back. I have a feeling its going to get worst. I know when i Retire im moving out of here. probably to Alaska and plow snow and grate roads.

Also my Previous "job" has been haunting me lately. Apparently If you do harm to a group of radicals they want to find you, and well... I wont go any further.

Who works on computers alot in there job? since well i have this problem of going through monitors, mouses, and keyboards. Can anyone explain that?

192153[/snapback]

True-

But the toughest part is most of our family lives here. Makes it a tough choice.

I hope it doesn't get any worse...

After a couple of rounds of burnout and depression in my early 30s, I'm more cynical about corporate life, more resistant to doing any overtime, and more interested in enjoying my vacation time.  I've made gains in position and pay, but I'm not driven to be the VP of Engineering or CTO if that means working 75-80 hrs a week (which it usually does).

I've never been interested in the normal 'get married, settle down in suburbia, raise 2.5 kids, and have a minivan' lifestyle that so many of my peers have...

though I have thought about moving to the 'burbs so I can have more square footage. 

192159[/snapback]

Yep - too much work can lead to depression. I really feel great when I get 7 to 8 hours of good sleep, which is rare.

Yep - not interested in kids ... don't dislike them, just don't want them. I like DOGS.

Yep - suburbia is fine....very fine. Square footage, newer construction that doesn't smell musty and a lower decibel level. If being cool means living in-town, then I'd rather not be cool.

Edited by trinacriabob

Yep - too much work can lead to depression.  I really feel great when I get 7 to 8 hours of good sleep, which is rare.

Heh....7 hrs or sleep for me is rare, except for the weekends.

Course, it doesn't help when the stress of work makes me so exhausted I don't do much of anything at night during the week ... and instead "lounge around", only to get the "second wind" and then not get much sleep at night :(.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"You probably won’t remember me" ... Jan Arden ... 'Insensitive'

Edited by knightfan26917

My first two jobs were draining but now I'm much happier at my current place. Much better work, better environment, etc.

I no longer feel dread waking up in the morning knowing I have to go to work. So currently, work has made me a happier girl.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm Michael Bolton from Office Space. :duh::spin:

Except instead of blasting TuPac I blast G&R....

PLus I don't drive a pu$$ymobile Honda, today

I took the Super 88 to work again and snagged

the #1 parking spot at 6:40am.

Edited by Sixty8panther

Actually... a more proper word is immature. Like, those transition years and first time facing the real world that sort of thing.

Ah, OK ... makes sense ... sorry I didn't follow that at first.

I find myself way too protected when I was a kid. I need to learn to learn from mistakes.

I've learned from plenty of mistakes in my days, but I, too, was a bit protected as a kid, but that was because of my heart condition more or less.....

My current job was the trigger that sent me spiralling out of control to the point where I had to face my demons and fight for recovery. Seeing that negative side of me has made me love Life in a whole new way!