Who here works out or exercises regularly?

mustang84

I just got back into the workout routine this semester, lifting weights and doing a couple laps around the track every other day. A buddy and I both keep a sheet where we record how many reps and the amount of weight each time, and it really shows you how much progress you've made.

I used to go sometimes last year, but we didn't keep a record and after a while only started going once every week and just kinda fell out of it as things got busier. But seeing the improvements written down each week really gets you motivated to go each time and keeping lifting a little more. I've also noticed I feel a whole lot better physically when I'm in a regular routine.

hah... well i dont. I can sprint decent, i lift a lot, i rather open a nice cold beer and chop a tree down. See i like the physical work were you get stuff done from working out. not sit on a threadmil and waste time.

Yup. I bought a bench and weights with my own cash, and have lifted since Christmas. It helped me do my job more efficiently, and I feel way better. I've also used supplements for quite a while too.

Now I'm looking into a Bowflex system or something comparable to broaden my exercise range...

However... Cardio to me is a :censored: and I can't remember the last time I ran. I used to use a jump rope... but yeah, I gotta start running or something.

I bicycle, at least twice a week. This Saturday I'll be riding 40 miles. I also have a gym membership where I do my weight training, but I've only been able to get here once a week or so due to time/energy constraints.

I play basketball a couple times a week to get some exercise. I used to lift weights for basketball, but I kind of lost any interest as a 2nd semester senior who wasn't playing any sports. I worked my ass off in the 2nd semester of junior year, summer after junior year, and the 1st semester of senior year, and I got pretty strong. It does make you feel better, I think, but I just didn't have any motivation.

Actually, I should restate that. I did lift, but only my legs/calves. I am very close to being able to dunk now as a result.

having played football and track for all of highschool, I pretty much ran, sprinted and lifted consistantly for years then even more intently my first 2 years of college doing rugby and crew. I was in sick shape but havent done anything for a while, i gained 20 lbs from partying over working and bad eating. just started back today and gotta try and get bck to the old form but it sucks so much going back and not being able to put up the same weights or run the same times. at my peak last year i could run a 4.6 40, 615 miile, lift a max of 350 on bench, 600 squat , 500 deadlift @ 5'9 190 and 5 percent BF. now its 275 bench 405 squat, 315 deadlift, dont know the 40 time but my mile was 725 and i weigh 210. its goin to be a long road back. moral ... dont get lazy and stop working out

I belong to a chain called 24 Hour Fitness - very big on the West Coast, more so than Bally's.

Some of them are skanky which makes me less than enthusiastic about going...I like a more low-key, well-maintained health club, but the price is right.

My ideal schedule is (2 days/wk lower body +30 minutes elliptical) and (2 days/wk upper body + 30 minutes elliptical). I might also add another day or two of elliptical only.

When I stick to it, I feel great and am at my ideal weight. Right now, with all the OT and a couple of night classes, I'm doing about half of what I should in this regard.

I used to swim competitively pretty much everyday up until a year ago when I quit. Now I'm paying the price... my eating portions are about the same, and while I haven't gained weight, my body fat has certainly increased.

I need to find a way to exercise outside the pool... fast.

Edited by empowah

I used to swim competitively pretty much everyday up until a year ago when I quit. Now I'm paying the price... my eating portions are about the same, and while I haven't gained weight, my body fat has certainly increased.

I need to find a way to exercise outside the pool... fast.

190459[/snapback]

Trade in the car for a good pair of walking shoes. Running burns the same calories as walking by distance. Basically running just saves time. Walking is easier, generally more enjoyable, and way easier on your joints. Oh, and you only sweat walking if it's humid!

I need to walk (makes me feel so energized), and I lift dumbells and do various kinds of crunches. Sometimes I jog, but I don't want to hurt my knees. My walking route has a lot of different levels of incline, 2.1 miles. Edited by ocnblu

Yes I do. It is called Chip...and Dip. Does pressing the remote count? It might build up my finger muscles lol. People ask me if I work out and I tell them the same or just say, does it look like a work out, lol. I will probably start exercising soon though. The problem is if I go out for a run or jog my sister will come as well. I don't like her being near me.

Yes I do. It is called Chip...and Dip. Does pressing the remote count? It might build up my finger muscles lol. People ask me if I work out and I tell them the same or just say, does it look like a work out, lol. I will probably start exercising soon though. The problem is if I go out for a run or jog my sister will come as well. I don't like her being near me.

190505[/snapback]

Heh, my friend makes the same argument, only substitutiing Chip and Dip with "programs"

You know, Halo 2, Counterstrike, Battlefield 1942...

I bicycle, at least twice a week. This Saturday I'll be riding 40 miles. I also have a gym membership where I do my weight training, but I've only been able to get here once a week or so due to time/energy constraints.

190371[/snapback]

I heard the quality of the Bowflex wasn't too good, i wanted to buy one but have been scared off by the negative report.

I was wondering if they are really good.

I started working out fairly heavily last March... I had to stop pretty much completely last week when work started up again, because for a while, it's just a nonstop day/night work-fest until I get into a groove and I learn my students, have my plans and grading under control, etc. I was interested in getting a Bowflex... I've heard nothing but great remarks about them. It'd save me time from going to the gym--but I'm always afraid, if it's there, and I'm not physically leaving the house--will I actually do it?

Bowflex quality has been fine. Customer service has been excellent. When I first got mine in July of 2002 I had a plastic shield that mounted the power rods to the tower crack because I apparently overtightened the bolts. I received a new one for free within a week.

My Bowflex was recalled...I wanna say a year ago? Maybe 18 months at this point. Apparently the bench could become unlocked and move when in use if you used a high amount of weight over a period of years. I was never affected by it, but I got the repair kit rush mailed to me with the recall notice for installing an extra latch to secure the bench. Perfect.

Everything else has been great, and I really like most of the exercises I've tried on it. Definitely good.

Paulie: You'll do it if you keep a log and schedule it. If not, congrats you have a 2x6 paperweight that set you back $2k. That's motivation enough for me...

It'd save me time from going to the gym--but I'm always afraid, if it's there, and I'm not physically leaving the house--will I actually do it?

190650[/snapback]

If I don't go to the gym and see other people achieving results, I almost know for sure I wouldn't do it at home. The only thing I can think of that would be cool to have at home is either an elliptical or a NordicTrak to use for 30 minutes while watching morning TV before going to work.

I work out pretty regularly here at home, nothing too strenous since I know i'm going to be running my ass off at work hustling parts all day. Normaly about 120-180 sit ups, 30-50 push ups, about 100 jumping jacks, then a ton of stretching and that's about it. All the cardio stuff I get running over five miles of interior building space at my job.