Labor Day Weekend Plans

Cory Wolfe

Alright... anyone have plans for Labor Day weekend? If so, what are they?

If not... and you live in my general area... There's the Knox Dale Fireman's homecoming that I talked about a while ago. It'd be a good chance for some of you guys to meet me... see Brookville... etc. You can camp out there with a tent... or a camper of some sort (not an actual camp ground... so no luxuries like water/electric hook ups). Basically, there's campfires, partying, consessions, games, raffles, bingo, entertainment, demo derby, volley ball, and softball. Starts Friday, main days are Sat and Sun, while it ends Monday. I stay all four days since I usually have nothing better to do.

Well, just thought I'd offer since I still haven't gotten to meet any fellow C&Gers.

...I still haven't gotten to meet any fellow C&Gers.

Hmph. You make this sound as if you haven't had the opportunity to meet any C&Gers. I know I posted about my trip to PA ... and, as I recall, you indicated that you wouldn't be able to drive a bit to see me. THEN, I get back ... and find out you literally drove PAST where I was on your way to, iirc, Somerset.

As for my plans that weekend, clean up 1 or 2 cars .. and that's about it. I'll have the house all to myself, too...hmmm.....

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"Do you know what it feels like being alone?" ... All-American Rejects ... 'Swing Swing Swing'

Hmph.  You make this sound as if you haven't had the opportunity to meet any C&Gers.  I know I posted about my trip to PA ... and, as I recall, you indicated that you wouldn't be able to drive a bit to see me.  THEN, I get back ... and find out you literally drove PAST where I was on your way to, iirc, Somerset.

Yeah, I know... That was just bad timing and planning on my part.

I just got back from the campground, and boy is my ass wet. It poured both Friday and Saturday nights, and was drizzly all day yesterday and today. The weather forecast called for a "chance" of thunderstorms, otherwise partly cloudy. My tent, undertarp and air mattress are hanging over my deck railing right now, drying in the breeze.

I have a family picnic on the 3rd, otherwise nothing planned, really.

Working my ass off. If it isn't coursework that needs to get done, I have a $h!load to do with the Fraternity since I am now the Assistant Marshal (aka Pledgemaster) and running a New Member Program (even with someone else) is turning into a lot of work quickly. Aye me.

I plan to spend some quality time with my Corvette, installing new polygraphite body mounts, stainless steel brake lines, and stainless steel gas lines. I'll probably get a bike ride or two in, and finish building up my budget racing bike if I don't get to it during this week. In between all that, I'll find time for applying a good coat of pure carnauba for the Cobalt.

We're supposed to get pounded by Ernesto down here for most of the weekend, and, to ensure that no other plans could be made (if the weather were good), my aunt is splitting the weekend by having a picnic on Sunday that I have to attend. Labor Day weekend is shaping up to be pretty laborious, blah.

Alright... Well, I'll be leaving at about 6. Already have my stuff up there and helped set up my grandpa's camper. So don't say I haven't tried to meet some of you guys. I offered. And gas has been going down, down, down. You have no excuses. Other than your own plans even though I told you about this who knows how many months ago. :P

The fact that I am on the computer now and NOT at my buddy's cottage should tell you all you need to know.

Rain, rain, rain. This is the worst Labor Day weekend that I can remember.

It is 12 degrees (58 on the old scale) outside - and I live downtown where it is supposed to be warmer!

We opened yesterday at the dealership - the first Labor Day Saturday we've been open in years. Then I was glad it was raining - if it had been sunny and 8 of us were staring at each other there would have been a lotta bitching! Okay, there was a lot of bitching anyway, but it woulda been worse, let me tell ya!

My sister is in a tent trailer with 4 screaming brats ( 4 boys, ages 6-13 and they're all hers!) She dropped by Thursday and asked me if I wanted to join them. I asked her if she thought I was high, or stupid.

I wonder if the kids are still alive. Or if she is in jail right now! LOL

Vipes, I found out the secret to a dry tent. Don't let anything touch the walls if it's raining, the contact lets water wick in. I had my air mattress against the back wall, and the pressure and contact let a little come in. I moved it away, and it stopped. Also you have to use your rain fly, of course. My tent was only 38 bucks at Wal-Mart (before I boycotted them), so it ain't special. It's a Coleman, a good brand I guess. Tenting is still great fun, but I can understand giving up if you got wet, bleh.

It has stopped raining here, but it's still overcast, with no wind. If the weather forecast holds true (partly sunny and 76), I may try to salvage tomorrow at least by taking a day trip to the campground, as it's only an hour and 45 minutes away now with new road construction open.

Hmmm...let's see:

Friday night: birthday party for my bro's girlfriend Danielle, who's leaving for Washington State soon :( we all like her in the Fraternity...gonna miss her. Their crackhead landlady kept showing up though complaining about faucets or something...um hello it's midnight and a party? Best time to discuss that with them? Aye...

Saturday: No hangover! My friend Dan (current Fraternity New Member) didn't fare so well though...poor guy. He and I went to Chinatown with another bro for some morning after dim sum...yummmm! so much food for so little money! Then we drove to The Grove and saw Snakes On A Plane (soooooo cheesy but sooooooo good), then we got back to USC to walk over to my bro Alex's house to watch the game. I really don't remember much about the game after we scored 18. Somehow we got up to 50? Cool.

Sunday: 4:30am? No hangover!! Just chilling with a glass of water and some pumpkin seed granola. 10:00am? Still feeling great!

Edited by Croc

Funny story. Last time I was camping, I set up next to a guy with one of those. Well, it was a rainy weekend. Friday he forgot to zip up his rain fly and when he went to get in it to sleep, it was wet. Saturday night it rained again and he showed up at my tent, drunk, asking if he could come in. He made it sound like he just wanted to check out my air mattress, so I stupidly let him in, thinking it would only be for a minute. Well, he kinda started grabbing for my junk, and he was like a sack of potatoes, you know how drunks get when they're ready to pass out. I had to yell across the way for someone to help me get him out of my tent. He finally left with the other guy talking to him. He went to his bivouac and passed out, but he got drenched again. Next morning he packed his stuff and left at first light, all mad at me for some reason and saying he'd never come back.

Meanwhile, he had a Sierra pickup he could have slept in and been perfectly dry. :rolleyes:

OH, I thought your story was going to have a happy ending. About 15 years ago (when I was young and beautiful - okay, I was young!) a similar situation happened when a young man from across the way joined me in the rain to sit under our tarp. He complained about a wet tent. Mine was bone dry. I invited him to stay in my tent.

Oh, so Brokeback Mountain!

Update!

Sunday 12:15 "Hangover Breakfast" with a few of the guys (none of us were hungover though)...then I just relaxed all day long until 7:30 had dinner @ Subway with a few of the guys, followed by helping two different bros move some furniture into their new house @ 9. Then we had margarita night with some ΑΓΓ girls. As we moved the party to my bro Alex's house, my soon-to-be lil bro and I went to Chano's for some taquitos. Then we trekked back to Alex's place and watched the Fresh Prince marathon on Nick at Nite.

Hmm this weekend I detailed the caprice. I love clean cars!! And drove it around. Then did some Aggresive or Offensive driving with it. (in a safe invironment) Acciedent avodance was basicly impossible at anything above 55 mph. If i get some threads maybe it will be better. Since bald tires arent excatly gripy.

But it was a bad laborday weekend.

Edited by capriceman

Hmm this weekend I detailed the caprice. I love clean cars!!

Me, TOO!!!! He he he. I cleaned up the '87 MC LS on Sunday. Looks so much better now ... despite the rain we had today :(.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"Some things just glitter and shine" ... Confederate Railroad ... 'Daddy Never Was The Cadillac Kind'

It's ok, Croc. We know you prefer the company of males.

I was going to make a day trip to the campground, but I had too much to do here outside around the house. The only really good day of the weekend, and I was home.

Had a nice quiet 4 day weekend with family in Phoenix..did a lot of nothing...relaxing, playing with the dogs, grilling, getting a lot of pool time (the weather was perfect except for some rain). Found out Thursday afternoon that my company was being sold (2nd time in 2 years), so that was a nice start to the weekend (I'll actually make a few bucks on my stock options that are now 100% vested).