Is someone at Saturn an Asia fan?

mustang84

"Oh my God, is this an Asia poster? Are you kidding?

How hard did they laugh at you when you brought this

poster in to be framed?"

- 40 Y.O. Virgin

Astra, Aura.. maybe the next Vue can be called Antara like the Opel/Vauxhall SUV..

I kind of like this 'A' name theme for Saturn..definitely better than an alphanumeric approach..

Maybe if GM decides to give Saturn something bigger than the Aura eventually they can resurrect the Aurora name..it would with fit well with Astra and Aura.

Edited by moltar

I kind of like this 'A' name theme for Saturn..definitely better than an alphanumeric approach..

I think even "Turd", "Poop" & "Crap Redline" are better than

alphanumerics these days. Alphanumerics work for one or

two companies but if everyone starts using them it gets old

& lame REAL quick.

& lame REAL quick.

184879[/snapback]

Then maybe you should get Cima or Gloria badges for your Q45... :D

& lame REAL quick.

184879[/snapback]

Heh-heh... I've long thought 'Defecator' would be a great muscle car name, after all, Mercury had the 'Eliminator'.

Defecator would be also be a great name for a metal band, I think..

Asia - Aura (2001)

Posted Image

2007 Saturn Aura

Posted Image

Asia - Astra (1985)

Posted Image

(Opel) Saturn Astra

Posted Image

Coincidence?  Is the Saturn Alpha or Aria next?

184723[/snapback]

if any of you want to borrow any of my 20 or so Asia albums, let me know.

by the way mustang, i do believe Roger Dean (the artist of those covers) was an architect also.

Asia (reformed with all orginal members) was on Rockline wednesday night. For me, it seems just to cash in on the money. I want new albums.

I think its cool Saturn is using the Asia album names. I see a mechandise tie in and ad campaign, GM?

Astra, Aura..  maybe the next Vue can be called Antara like the Opel/Vauxhall SUV..

Maybe if GM decides to give Saturn something bigger than the Aura eventually they can resurrect the Aurora name..it would with fit well with Astra and Aura.

184871[/snapback]

sorry, they beat you to it already.aurora

Wasnt Asia former members of greater bands ? Or was that Europe ?

184986[/snapback]

John Wetton - King Crimson

Geoff Downes - Buggles (first video on MTV) and Yes, produced GTR

Steve Howe - yes, GTR

Carl palmer - emerson lake and palmer

The Asia debut album is the best rock album ever and their next two were almost as good.

interesting info

Question:

Question: This question has been on my mind for quite some time. Every time I see a movie with the THX Sound intro, I wonder whether the group Asia receives anything for allowing the THX brand to use the intro to their song "Countdown to Zero." Assuming that members of Asia own the rights to that bit, they could have negotiated the licensing deal of a lifetime with George Lucas. — Laura

Flickchick: It appears that the sliding chord that begins Asia's "Countdown to Zero" (from the 1985 album Astra) and accompanies the THX logo is an uncopyrighted sound bite concocted by keyboardist Will Alexander of Yes, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, and other progressive-rock bands. THX has been using it since at least 1983, when the "Introducing THX" trailer "Wings" debuted in theaters. On the THX promos it's played on a Synclavier 2 synthesizer.

Edited by regfootball

John Wetton - King Crimson

Geoff Downes - Buggles (first video on MTV) and Yes, produced GTR

Steve Howe - yes, GTR

Carl palmer - emerson lake and palmer

The Asia debut album is the best rock album ever and their next two were almost as good.

interesting info

185131[/snapback]

Wow, thanks Reg, thats what I was somehow remembering but didnt want to commit. I see more music I need to add to my collection. Just last year I got Brain Salad Surgery CD finally, I have no Yes and King Crimson ? I remember an album from them floating around, werent they the first band to have an electric violin...........no wait I just remembered, that was a band called "the Flock" they were an early 70's prog rock band. Some of those members may have went on to bigger bands or come from bigger bands, cant remember.

Side note - we have had ELP's '92 effort "Black Moon" for, well, years. I like it. Greg Lake has one of my favorite voices behind some great lyrics. I think Ill pop it in...........................

I did a search last year and found nothing. I was hoping to find a reprint of that recording or at least info. I remember nothing of it except it was different and they had a violin. Its was progressive and possibly off the wall, early"fusion", that does not necessarily mean they were bad but could make them quite unpopular. I remember the VanHalen concert Alice in Chain opened for............much of the crowd was not impressed, they just werent right for the VanHalen crowd. I found them interesting at the time and knew we had a new wave of heavy music evolving. Alice and Chain went on to fame and that was the last SamHalen recording tour.

Ask him if someone from The Flock went on to better recognization........I think so but my memory is questional. Ive often wondered if it was Jean Luc Ponty but who knows ? No I think Ponty came out of Mahavisnu.

Asia FAQ

Was there an Asia album with the title ARCADIA?     

Friday, 10 June 2005 

No. In 1985, the working title of Asia's third album was Arcadia. Prior to the release of the album, a Duran Duran offshoot group "Arcadia" released a self-titled album. In order to avoid confusion, Asia changed the name of their new album to Astra. Rumours continue to this day that Roger Dean has some rough sketches of what was to become the Arcadia album cover. These sketches have never been seen. 

What is the AURORA EP that was released in Japan only?     

Friday, 10 June 2005 

Aurora was a four-track vinly EP released in Japan in 1986. It contained the rare b-sides "Ride Easy", "Daylight", "Lying To Yourself", and the Astra album track "Too Late". The EP was never released outside of Japan, and copies are *extremely* difficult to find.

Arcadia, (Acadia?) Astra, Aurora.........

I think someone at General Motors is an Asia fan.

Wasnt Asia former members of greater bands ? Or was that Europe ?

184986[/snapback]

Now you've gone and done it... opend up a pandora's box

here on C&G. Europe's "The Final Countdown" is this long

running inside joke of the T!G#+ W#1P$ Car Club. :P

Both the Album cover & song. Don't get me or XP started

on Europe... it's pretty ridiculous.

Posted Image

The Final Countdown is pretty rediculous. I do like the actual song and a couple others off that album, but early Europe really isn't that bad. They get a lot of crap because of The Final Countdown, but their first two albums are pretty underrated, straight-up metal.

The Final Countdown is pretty rediculous. I do like the actual song and a couple others off that album, but early Europe really isn't that bad. They get a lot of crap because of The Final Countdown, but their first two albums are pretty underrated, straight-up metal.

The Final Countdown is pretty rediculous.  I do like the actual song and a couple others off that album, but early Europe really isn't that bad.  They get a lot of crap because of The Final Countdown, but their first two albums are pretty underrated, straight-up metal.

185399[/snapback]

news flash....Europe has a NEW album coming out.