Rendezvous

Guest buickman

Guest buickman

LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Why cancel Buick's Rendezvous?

JAMES M. DOLLINGER, Chairman, Dollinger Motors Inc., Flint, Mich.

Automotive News / August 21, 2006 - 6:00 am

To the Editor:

The Buick Rendezvous has sold well, mostly through inexpensive leases.

It is Mexican-made, with a French name, looks imported and was promoted as "The Spirit of American Style."

Although not an example of classic marketing, it did bring new customers to Buick.

Similar to previous loyalists -- Park Avenue lease supports were pulled April 1 as the spring market arrived -- Rendezvous lessees will scramble for a replacement within their budget when General Motors introduces the more expensive Enclave. Why not continue Rendezvous?

Buick stores would have a fighting chance with two popular crossovers

Guest YellowJacket894

The Enclave is a Rendezvous replacement, correct? So I don't get why there's even a complaint here to start with.

The Enclave is also lightyears ahead of the Rendezvous. The 'Vous was really just an Aztek with bloated LeSabre taillamps and an oval grille.

If a Rendezvous owner wants another Rendezvous, they'll just go to the Enclave...and be twice as happy in the process. And I honestly don't think it'll be that much more expensive, either.

Edited by YellowJacket894

Marketing-wise, GM's practice of continuing to sell the new model alongside the old (Malibu/Classic, Trailblazer/Blazer) or discontinuing the old model months before the new one is ready (what Saturn was about to do with Ion/Astra and what Dollinger says is going to happen with Rendezvous/Enclave) is bushleague. Maybe this is how GM must do things to make money? And, sure, I understand that Buick is in transition. But it would be nice to see GM get its timing right on like Honda and Toyota. This also applies to nameplates. Why not some good old-fashioned continuity?

It has been suggested before, by a number of people including myself. In addition it would be a good idea to directly replace the Rendezvous with a 7-seat crossover similar in size to the Chevrolet Captiva—larger than the Vue, but smaller than the probable Torrent replacement from GMC. With the 3.6 L V6 or the turbo 2.0 L it would round out the BPG lineup with something smaller and more economical than the enormous Enclave and Acadia.

The Enclave is a Rendezvous replacement, correct? So I don't get why there's even a complaint here to start with.

The Enclave is also lightyears ahead of the Rendezvous. The 'Vous was really just an Aztek with bloated LeSabre taillamps and an oval grille.

If a Rendezvous owner wants another Rendezvous, they'll just go to the Enclave...and be twice as happy in the process. And I honestly don't think it'll be that much more expensive, either.

182962[/snapback]

While I can't argue with any supposed sales numbers, a Rendezvous rental was one of the most depressing recent drives in a GM product I can remember.

When so many newer GM products (Rendezvous is based off a decade-or-more old minivan platform) seem to show such promise, Rendezvous reminded me of the "old" GM........

* Floaty, boaty, poorly-controlled suspension

* Coarse and gritty pushrod V6 powertrain

* Truly cheesy interior plastics and fit-and-finish (with actually classy-looking, if tough-to-read, gauges)

* Styling that truly looked like someone tried to plunk an SUV body down on a minivan architecture (which is exactly what they did)

I say Buick is better off abandoning such a poorly-competitive entry in one of the hottest segments.

Let's go Enclave!!!!!!

And yet look how well it sold. Some argue the 'Vous shouldn't have been built in the first place; reality confirms the opposite.

Imagine how well the Enclave will do...

183043[/snapback]

Did it REALLY sell well though?

How are the Rendezvous sales numbers compared to other crossover vehicles in ~ the same price range?

....or did it just sell well for a Buick?

I'd love to see the numbers.......

Did it REALLY sell well though?

How are the Rendezvous sales numbers compared to other crossover vehicles in ~ the same price range?

....or did it just sell well for a Buick?

I'd love to see the numbers.......

183053[/snapback]

Don't have competing numbers on-hand, but the Rendezvous averaged 60-70k for several years. I'm sure RX and MDX numbers are similar and I know the Rendezvous often outsold Acura and came close to the Lexus on several occasions.

I know what you're going to say next - how many were retail? That doesn't matter, because the Rendezvous wasn't fleeted in significant numbers until the past year or so and even then, it left its mark on the landscape, lowering Buick's average age and bringing many into the Buick family. It was also one of the first midrange crossovers on the market. Furthermore, it bolstered Buick's sedan-heavy fleet when the market turned to SUVs and provided a great base market for the upcoming Enclave.

It has been suggested before, by a number of people including myself. In addition it would be a good idea to directly replace the Rendezvous with a 7-seat crossover similar in size to the Chevrolet Captiva—larger than the Vue, but smaller than the probable Torrent replacement from GMC. With the 3.6 L V6 or the turbo 2.0 L it would round out the BPG lineup with something smaller and more economical than the enormous Enclave and Acadia.

182971[/snapback]

I can't agree with you more-that's an awesome idea, and it would plug the gap between a potential Acura MDX fighter and the Enclave, however a 2.0-liter turbodiesel would be too small for Europe or anywhere-a Rapid Theta in China maybe, but definitely not in North America for either. I still shudder at the thought of a car-based GMC however, and unless it takes a Mazda CX-7-like styling/performance SUV turn, I see no reason for Pontiac to have a crossover.

Regardless of sales, the Rendezvous conveys an image that Buick (and GM) are working away from.

Sacrificing some Rendezvous sales will pay off in the long run.

Although it sold well, the quicker product like this becomes a distant memory, the quicker Buick's image will be able to rebound.

its dated, cut the cord. its TIME TO MOVE ON.

-aztek owner

Maybe a two row shorter version of the Enclave is needed.

In defense of the voux, its owners love the vehicle, and are a happy bunch, just like tek owners. Honestly, I don't think very many rendezvoux were fleet, if any at all.

people love to bitch about ugly crossover vehicles and minivans but if you've ever loaded a large piece of furniture or something in one that you couldn't fit in a car, you'd understand. I just like to tell THOSE people to FLICK OFF when i see hilarious things like having to take a 20 inch tv out of the box in order to get it to fit in their sedan's backseat because the trunk won't fit it. So to some degree I see where Jim is coming from. Hey Jim, its two years to the day since we got our Aztek, my wifes run up 50k miles on it, and its been trouble free. So now be the saleman you are and take my Aztek on trade for a new RDV Ultra AWD with 3.6 for my wife.......if the deals are THAT good you should be willing to part with one for about 20.

And give me 14 on trade for my Aztek. And since you are a proponent of home delivery I am totally fine with you having it sent to my wife's work right pronto. 0% interest is included, right?

:ohyeah:

Edited by regfootball

Guest buickman

Jim, aren't you the same guy who said the Rendezvous looks too weird for Buick and was probably supposed to be an Olds?

183070[/snapback]

Yes, that was me. However, since we did the job with what we were given, we should be afforded the opportunity to continue servicing the customer body we developed. Unfortunately, Wagoner and Co have our demise within their sights and will continue virtually unabated in their dastardly plan to kill the foundation stone. Mark my words, GM is out to "KILL" Buick. The true purpose of "channeling" is a forced climbing to the hangman's noose.

Buickman

Edited by buickman

Yes, that was me. However, since we did the job with what we were given, we should be afforded the opportunity to continue servicing the customer body we developed. Unfortunately, Wagoner and Co have our demise within their sights and will continue virtually unabated in their dastardly plan to kill the foundation stone. Mark my words, GM is out to "KILL"  Buick. The true purpose of "channeling" is a forced climbing to the hangman's noose.

Buickman

183171[/snapback]

if killing means giving Buick one of the best designed product from GM in years, then yes they are in fact bringing a glock to thier head, biatch.

Yes, that was me. However, since we did the job with what we were given, we should be afforded the opportunity to continue servicing the customer body we developed. Unfortunately, Wagoner and Co have our demise within their sights and will continue virtually unabated in their dastardly plan to kill the foundation stone. Mark my words, GM is out to "KILL"  Buick. The true purpose of "channeling" is a forced climbing to the hangman's noose.

Buickman

183171[/snapback]

Uh, if anything I think the Enclave is going to boost Buick's status amoung premium brands.

-I don't expect it to be priced much higher than the Rendezvous.

-It's better looking the 'Vous. It actually looks like a higher-end vehicle.

-It's safe to assume it will be of better quality than the 'Vous as far as the interior goes.

-It's the first real competitor GM has had to the Lexus RX (I believe the best-seller in its class).

Guest buickman

Guaranteed they'll kill it like they did Olds. By "channeling" they avoid legal entanglements. Granted, it will be a relatively slow death, but it will happen. Wags is out to own distribution and the death of divisions allows for an end run around state franchise laws. GM has nothing but time. It took over 50 years to destroy the union, but it happened. They own the leadership. Radical unionism is de, as are any hopes of leadership for the middle class which was once represented by caring stewards rather than the absolutely worthless officials who have sold out their members. Like the UAW or not, at least recognize that GM has bought and paid for the current regime.

Buickman

Oh well, what can they do when they only got 25% of the market. There are no real 'Buick Stores' that need all clones of Chevys.

The days of look alike clone cars to please all the fat cat dealers are over. Now it is time to please buyers.

The 'Rendvooo' is one of the Ron Zarella era "Crest Toothpaste" cars, an 'Azzz-tek' twin. Most of them are in rental lots.

I will be glad to not see them at the Auto Shows sitting ignored, almost as 'modern' as the A body Century was in the 90's.

I can't agree with you more-that's an awesome idea, and it would plug the gap between a potential Acura MDX fighter and the Enclave, however a 2.0-liter turbodiesel would be too small for Europe or anywhere-a Rapid Theta in China maybe, but definitely not in North America for either. I still shudder at the thought of a car-based GMC however, and unless it takes a Mazda CX-7-like styling/performance SUV turn, I see no reason for Pontiac to have a crossover.

183067[/snapback]

Since I was thinking purely North Amrica I didn't mention "diesel". There is another 2.0 L Turbo in GM's catalog.

Guaranteed they'll kill it like they did Olds. By "channeling" they avoid legal entanglements. Granted, it will be a relatively slow death, but it will happen. Wags is out to own distribution and the death of divisions allows for an end run around state franchise laws. GM has nothing but time. It took over 50 years to destroy the union, but it happened. They own the leadership. Radical unionism is de, as are any hopes of leadership for the middle class which was once represented by caring stewards rather than the absolutely worthless officials who have sold out their members. Like the UAW or not, at least recognize that GM has bought and paid for the current regime.

Buickman

183182[/snapback]

If by killing Olds you mean giving it all new products, distinctive features, hotbed of test technology, unique engines and then pulling the plug when the median buyer age doesn't drop and sales continue to slow. Then yes they are starting to do the first step of that.

Jim, you can't just keep selling old, out of date models because people are familiar with the darn name. YOU the salesperson (your not an order taker right?) has to talk to people about the new product and show them the benefits of the newer, better product. That is your job. Unless you only sell so much because you are an order taker. :scratchchin:

And lets not forget the fact that the rendezvous was over run with problems.

I actually had my customers getting locked inside. (not just too stupid to use the latch) i mean the door latch was stuck in lock and the windows would not role down. its no wonder that GM didnt have to recall the entire vehicle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:(

i for one am glad to see it go. i have had more people tell me they are trading it in for a yota than i ever have before.

I don't believe Buickman is wanting to keep the current Rendezvous around in its current form, but to replace it with another compact/midsize CUV in Buick's line-up. The Enclave will be larger and more expensive than the Rendezvous. There's room in the line-up and a customer-base for Buick to have a mid-size CUV from $25k-$32k. If Buick doesn't receive a premium compact sedan for an entry-level vehicle, the next-gen Rendezvous could serve this purpose (in price at least).

I have to agree with his idea even though we've discussed this before.

LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Why cancel Buick's Rendezvous?

JAMES M. DOLLINGER, Chairman, Dollinger Motors Inc., Flint, Mich. 

Automotive News / August 21, 2006 - 6:00 am

To the Editor:

The Buick Rendezvous has sold well, mostly through inexpensive leases.

It is Mexican-made, with a French name, looks imported and was promoted as "The Spirit of American Style."

Although not an example of classic marketing, it did bring new customers to Buick.

Similar to previous loyalists -- Park Avenue lease supports were pulled April 1 as the spring market arrived -- Rendezvous lessees will scramble for a replacement within their budget when General Motors introduces the more expensive Enclave. Why not continue Rendezvous?

Buick stores would have a fighting chance with two popular crossovers

182872[/snapback]

Buickman

183171[/snapback]

James, I can't honestly believe you are STILL selling the same old tired line. I also believed long ago that somewhere along the line, something snapped and you've been in need of professional help ever since.

To recap for those of you who might remotely think I'm coming across as harsh, this is the same James Dollinger who attempted to push Delphi to strike earlier this year as a way to force GM to adopt his 10, 12, 100 (or whatever it is) point plan, even if it meant destroying General Motors in the process.

This "Plan" and I use that term lightly is something he's been pressing for longer than I can remember. Some time ago, he was pressing for a meeting with Rick Wagoner, who gave him some real or imagined slight, and he's been making a nuisance of himself and flaming every single decision GM makes ever since. He has been especially venomous towards Rick Wagoner, going so far as to reaching back to the early 90s to blame Wagoner for GM's issues today... even though Wagoner wasn't CEO back then.

James Dollinger is the exact same guy who believes himself a super automobile salesman, however, his experience is limited exclusively to a little corner in Michigan. Instead of accepting that he knows the market in his area very well (nothing to be ashamed of), he feels that he is an expert bar none on what sells everywhere else.

Making a small fortune selling Buicks to retirees and GM and industry employees under industry discounts and/or leases, and the guy thinks he knows what works in California, Florida, and everywhere else in the US, even though sales figures and every study done both inside the industry and out discredits his view. He honestly feels that Buicks don't sell in California because they aren't marketed correctly! Yep. That stunned me too.

This guy has been on (and banned from) certain enthusiast websites where he tried selling his "Plan" for GM recovery as a wrapping for his hatred of GM's management. He always posts offers for constructive input to make his plan better. Much like he's done on this thread, and as you'll see the more he posts, he's not intrested in making his plan better or the well thought out input of others (including those who actually are in the industry). He will either ignore your input & constructive criticism, or will accuse you of being a mindless GM dupe. That's his M.O. When proven wrong, simply ignore you or call you (insert degrading comment here) , and keep on going his way. The word that fits here is delusional.

So, you ask, why did Rick Wagoner and GM's upper management slight Buickman simply for offering his plan?? He'd have you believe it's part of some evil plan Wagoner has fostered over the past 20 years to run GM aground. Truth is, James here refused to talk to them about it unless they paid him millions of dollars first. Rick and company politely and correctly showed him the door. But not before offering him a position in which Mr. Dollenger had the opportunity to enact some of his plan.

He turned it down. He wanted cash instead.

What was this glorious plan to save GM, you ask? Was it new models? Was it creating better products? Was it streamlining GM's development process? Nope. It consisted of eliminating any pricing influence from the factory allowing dealers to overcharge whenever they want. It involved sending salesman on company paid field trips to factories and having picnics, it involved rebates & incentives for dealers, it involved quite a load of items.

All focused on the sales side.

NOTHING focused on product or product improvement.

As you see, he thinks the Rendevous should continue and that the Enclave (a superior vehicle by far in design, assemby, and quality) is a waste of money and all but hates the thing... despite that it got rave reviews even from people who don't like minivans (I was at NAIAS during press previews, so I heard it firsthand).

James (aka: Buickman) will bring out testimonials from his website, and will tell you he has 1,000, 10,000, even hundreds of thousands of people behind him. The reality is that many of those testimonials later changed their view after they realized what his goals really are. I was one of them. I'm sure he also used my early quotes for his purpose. As for those multitudes of people who support him, and his role as a humble servant of the people out to save GM? Baloney.

Does this sound like a man with both oars in the water:

""Mr. Wagoner, last year, I called for you to resign. This year, I'm calling for your indictment. You've misled investors," said James Dollinger, a Flint car salesman who calls himself Buickman ......(GM's stockholder meeting, AP June 7th, 2006)

Bottom line is this:

This man is out for money. Lots of it.

He has shown a willingness to permanently wreck The General Motors Corperation in order to force them to give it to him.

He has a personal vendetta against Rick Wagoner, and thinks the rest of the GM board is a bunch of rubber stamps.

He HONESTLY believes that GM doesn't need better cars. He wants more perks for dealers and the freedom for dealers to make as much money as they can, even to the point of massive markups.

So, before you buy into this guy, LISTEN to what he says, and ask yourself:

1. "Is this really going to help GM... is it really going to make things better???"

2. "Does this sound like a man who has a vendetta against someone???"

3. "Why is he so against GM's new products???"

I promise you, you'll figure this one out on your own.

Edited by guionM

By the way, The Rendevous sold 3222 in July, and as of August 1st has sold 39,211.

Just to give you a sense of what those numbers mean & to give you a scale to go by the slow selling Buick Lacrosse did 8,000 in July and 42,685 year to date, making Rendevous Buick's worst selling vehicle currently in production.

The Rendevous also has one of the worst residual value of any truck or SUV, according to Edmunds. They are also one of the more discounted, leased, and rental driven vehicles (which keeps the sales figures artificially....er....high (?).

Keep that in mind when someone tells you there's nothing wrong with the thing and GM is screwing up by discontinuing them. Again, question their motives.

GM's new Lecerne is earing good sales and great reviews. If another person had their way, he would have forced GM to continue selling Park Avenues instead.

What's better?

This:

Posted Image

or this?

Posted Image

Enough said.

Edited by guionM

Thanks guionM. Nice summation of the facts. I am currently leasing an '05 Rendezvous and it cannot end soon enough for me. I am considering buying out the remainder of the lease just to be done with it. It is big outside, small inside, poorly assembled, confused (real mahogany on the steering wheel and sad plastic wood every where else). It feels tippy, has no power (though lots of noise) and averages 18 MPG on my daily loop. On the plus side, it was discounted so much that it undercut a good cross-over by hundreds per month on the lease payment.

The Rendezvous represents the GM of the late '90's. It did its job. Let it rest in peace.

Non-sequitur --> Maybe GM should try making a decent minivan so that I am not forced to buy a Honda Odyssey and I can stay in the family.

Edited by bdubsee

Guest buickman

James, I can't honestly believe you are STILL selling the same old tired line. I also believed long ago that somewhere along the line, something snapped and you've been in need of professional help ever since.

To recap for those of you who might remotely think I'm coming across as harsh, this is the same James Dollinger who attempted to push Delphi to strike earlier this year as a way to force GM to adopt his 10, 12, 100 (or whatever it is) point plan, even if it meant destroying General Motors in the process.

This "Plan" and I use that term lightly is something he's been pressing for longer than I can remember. Some time ago, he was pressing for a meeting with Rick Wagoner, who gave him some real or imagined slight, and he's been making a nuisance of himself and flaming every single decision GM makes ever since. He has been especially venomous towards Rick Wagoner, going so far as to reaching back to the early 90s to blame Wagoner for GM's issues today... even though Wagoner wasn't CEO back then.

James Dollinger is the exact same guy who believes himself a super automobile salesman, however, his experience is limited exclusively to a little corner in Michigan. Instead of accepting that he knows the market in his area very well (nothing to be ashamed of), he feels that he is an expert bar none on what sells everywhere else.

Making a small fortune selling Buicks to retirees and GM and industry employees under industry discounts and/or leases, and the guy thinks he knows what works in California, Florida, and everywhere else in the US, even though sales figures and every study done both inside the industry and out discredits his view. He honestly feels that Buicks don't sell in California because they aren't marketed correctly! Yep. That stunned me too.

This guy has been on (and banned from) certain enthusiast websites where he tried selling his "Plan" for GM recovery as a wrapping for his hatred of GM's management. He always posts offers for constructive input to make his plan better. Much like he's done on this thread, and as you'll see the more he posts, he's not intrested in making his plan better or the well thought out input of others (including those who actually are in the industry). He will either ignore your input & constructive criticism, or will accuse you of being a mindless GM dupe. That's his M.O. When proven wrong, simply ignore you or call you (insert degrading comment here) , and keep on going his way. The word that fits here is delusional.

So, you ask, why did Rick Wagoner and GM's upper management slight Buickman simply for offering his plan?? He'd have you believe it's part of some evil plan Wagoner has fostered over the past 20 years to run GM aground. Truth is, James here refused to talk to them about it unless they paid him millions of dollars first. Rick and company politely and correctly showed him the door. But not before offering him a position in which Mr. Dollenger had the opportunity to enact some of his plan.

He turned it down. He wanted cash instead.

What was this glorious plan to save GM, you ask? Was it new models? Was it creating better products? Was it streamlining GM's development process? Nope. It consisted of eliminating any pricing influence from the factory allowing dealers to overcharge whenever they want. It involved sending salesman on company paid field trips to factories and having picnics, it involved rebates & incentives for dealers, it involved quite a load of items.

All focused on the sales side.

NOTHING focused on product or product improvement.

As you see, he thinks the Rendevous should continue and that the Enclave (a superior vehicle by far in design, assemby, and quality) is a waste of money and all but hates the thing... despite that it got rave reviews even from people who don't like minivans (I was at NAIAS during press previews, so I heard it firsthand).

James (aka: Buickman) will bring out testimonials from his website, and will tell you he has 1,000, 10,000, even hundreds of thousands of people behind him. The reality is that many of those testimonials later changed their view after they realized what his goals really are. I was one of them. I'm sure he also used my early quotes for his purpose. As for those multitudes of people who support him, and his role as a humble servant of the people out to save GM? Baloney.

Does this sound like a man with both oars in the water:

Bottom line is this:

This man is out for money. Lots of it.

He has shown a willingness to permanently wreck The General Motors Corperation in order to force them to give it to him.

He has a personal vendetta against Rick Wagoner, and thinks the rest of the GM board is a bunch of rubber stamps.

He HONESTLY believes that GM doesn't need better cars. He wants more perks for dealers and the freedom for dealers to make as much money as they can, even to the point of massive markups.

So, before you buy into this guy, LISTEN to what he says, and ask yourself:

1. "Is this really going to help GM... is it really going to make things better???"

2. "Does this sound like a man who has a vendetta against someone???"

3. "Why is he so against GM's new products???"

I promise you, you'll figure this one out on your own.

185891[/snapback]

Your facts are worse than distorted, they're flat wrong. Furthermore, I don't remember ever quoting you. I never demanded any money upfront until told I'd have to resign from my General Manager posistion. Before that, it was all pay for performance. That sir is my methodology, not your gross misinterpretation.

Buickman

Edited by buickman

The vehicle is an old turd on a dated, outmoded platform that dilutes the Buick brand - may we never see its like again.

186002[/snapback]

Here here-bring on the Enclave!

Your facts are worse than distorted, they're flat wrong. Furthermore, I don't remember ever quoting you. I never demanded any money upfront until told I'd have to resign from my General Manager posistion. Before that, it was all pay for performance.  That sir is my methodology, not your gross misinterpretation.

Buickman

185978[/snapback]

OK, point out the areas where I was wrong or misrepresented you.

I have a search button on multiple websites,

......and I'm NOT afraid to use it. :yes:

Here's just a few gems:

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412180

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=410382

and finally, your martyr-like "Banned in Wilmington" (named to imply GM's "evil" plan to silence you... LOL) where you outline your "plan".

The exchanges here is typical when people question you:

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384183

Edited by guionM

Guest buickman

"So, you ask, why did Rick Wagoner and GM's upper management slight Buickman simply for offering his plan?? He'd have you believe it's part of some evil plan Wagoner has fostered over the past 20 years to run GM aground. Truth is, James here refused to talk to them about it unless they paid him millions of dollars first. Rick and company politely and correctly showed him the door. But not before offering him a position in which Mr. Dollenger had the opportunity to enact some of his plan.

He turned it down. He wanted cash instead."

Total falsehood. As to banned, only from CamaroZ28 while you indicate multiple sites. The support for GM and Wagoner on that site is very strong as members sincerely desired to bring back their beloved automobile, an honorable and successful effort.

Buickman

Edited by buickman