Do you wash/clean your engine?

trinacriabob

Do you wash/clean your engine?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wash/clean your engine?

• Yes
    • No

Yesterday, I was cleaning around the engine bay with a rag, an old toothbrush and some cleaning fluids for this purpose.

When I had my very first Cutlass (carburetor, no electronics), I would go to those wash places and steam clean the engine on a self-serve basis. Not any more. I am willing to employ elbow grease.

BTW, are there are benefits to a clean engine other than the way it looks (which can be very nice)?

I'm sure it's gotta run cooler if it's clean. My engine has been powerwashed once by me with this vehicle, it wasn't really dirty, but it looked a lot better afterward. The automatic car wash I go to has a pretty strong underbody wash that spritzes the undercarriage while you drive into position in the bay. That seems to keep the Colorado's underbelly pretty clean. I don't go mudding any more, so it doesn't need much.

I voted NO because compared to SpedingPenguins Malibu

and my buddy's '67 Camaro my engne is downright filthy.

Well... the Super 88s is semi-clean but I don't really want

to clean it as the car is so original I'll probably do more

harm then good and the Q45s has not seen a winter since

it's been steam cleaned by the dealership we bought it

from. Cleaning my engine has never been a top priority

for me. I'm not a clean freak when it comes to the

mechanical components in a car. Then again with my

eventual 2010 Camaro which I'll probably buy new I will

most likely be more A.R. about cleanliness etc.

We always cleaned the engines at the dealership. Basically, if it's not too dirty, just take a power washer and wash off the dirt. But if it's rather dirty, power wash it, then wash it with some car wash, and then power wash it again. To dry it try I guess use a towel (I used an air gun). Then, if you want it to look really clean, spray some tire dresser on it and then wipe the excess off. Or, you can spray the tire dresser on it before you dry it and then just power wash it again after you spray on the tire dresser to get the excess dressing off.

I usually wash my car at the power wash stalls, and I always noticed the "engine cleaner" option. this last time I took the Cobalt to the wash was the first time I'd ever cleaned my engine with it. the plastic cover was pretty dirty, so I just gave it a spray wth the engine cleaner, let it soak, and then rinsed it clean. no big.I don't think I actually got the engine itself, though, but ah well...

No, but I want to. I don't know the proper way.

182813[/snapback]

Basically put a plastic bag over anything you don't want water to get in to...You should be good for the most part. A plastic bag over any electrical is always a good idea (such as any ecu stuff under the hood), or if you have an exposed intake like a cold air intake or something, then obviously a plastic bag over the filter is also a good idea.

Um... my grand am was worthless to clean under the hood (ugh, talk about dirty). My Millenia... is better, much better, but then I hear Millenia's are very sensitive to water (thank god for places like C&G in the Mazda world). There's so much you'd have to cover it's just a hassle. I'll take a rag and wipe off surface dirt, however. So... where's the "other" option for this poll? :P

No, but I want to. I don't know the proper way.

182813[/snapback]

Hahaha... I asked this question like a month or so ago! My Malibu engine and underhood area is in a dire need of a wash. I had a '92 Cavalier Z24 that I used to spray some Simple Green on, use a toothbrush to scrub some areas, and then hose off (the only thing I covered was the open air cleaner). I did this for about 5/6 years, at least once a year - never a problem. Then I had a '95 Trans Am that I washed the engine once and the car wouldn't start for over two hours. This made me stop doing this when I cleaned cars. However, I'd like to clean the engine areas again so maybe I'll suck it up and just do it. Hopefully I won't mess up the Malibu!!! :P

actually, i'd love to clean the engine bay, but worry about the effects of the water. also, here in MN, we get salt under the hood. Nice to get it out if you can. Under the hood of my v8 sho there was no room other than engine so very little crud got under the hood. If you have a car with lots of open space under the hood and the more nooks for air and water to get into, you'll get lots more crud.

Edited by regfootball