Just Dashes

HarleyEarl

Joe, your steering wheel is sticky because of all the oil, dirt and dead human skin cells slathered onto it. Clean it with warm soap and water, or maybe rubbing alcohol. It will feel so much better.

Or it could be a Ford-exclusive safety feature designed to keep your hands on the wheel.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having trouble finding a picture, but I always thought a late 30's Lincoln Zephyr (not Mazda Zephyr) looked pretty cool; 1939 is the year that sticks out in my mind for whatever reason as having a really cool giant speedometer in the middle of the dash.

Can't seem to find many good shots of it right nopw, but I love the Spyker C8 spyder...the entire interior as a whole...

Posted Image

183288[/snapback]

Damn, I like that!...it's almost a update of cars from the early years. That is now another favorite of mine. Thanks Nick.

here are a few of my favorite dashes:

---

183445[/snapback]

Lemme help... :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also the Merc CLS, Volvo S40, Citroen C6, Aston DB9, Mercury Mountaineer (if only for the black leather/cream terry), MINI...

Edited by empowah

Actually, those red pleather seats are kind of interesting... (in the Nissan) :scratchchin:

I actually like the newer BMW dashes, but only without the tacked-on looking nav screen. The Z4 dash looks retro, simple and elegant, for example.

Edited by ocnblu

Sweet Mother of Pearl!.....does it get anymore Americana than this, so 'everything-is-right-with-the-world'. I melt. It even has little silver shot glasses!

The STUNNING 1957 Cadillac Series 70 Eldorado Brougham:

Posted Image

Bonus shot, the rear entry....it doesn't get any better than this:

Posted Image

Edited by HarleyEarl

Posted Image

183425[/snapback]

I gotta say, though I do find much appealing in modern interiors, when shown in the same topic with all this old eye candy they look like they were designed by the Michellin Man or maybe The Pillsbury Doeboy...............I think Oldsmobois photo here just about sums it all up. You can twist and turn, curve and offset all you want but when your done you still just have a big puffy lump of plastic.

There simlpy is no substitute for real wood, stamped stainless and honest to goodness individual gauges. The old steering wheels are finely crafted artwork not these massive characterless blobs.

You can twist and turn, curve and offset all you want but when your done you still just have a big puffy lump of plastic. There simlpy is no substitute for real wood, stamped stainless and honest to goodness individual gauges. The old steering wheels are finely crafted artwork not these massive characterless blobs.

F'ing Amen.

Look at the steering wheel in the posted Bentley pic- sickening for $300K+. You can get the same basic thing in a sentra-class box.

For you, FLy:

Posted Image

XP715: It is the '39 Zephyr coupe that has the dash you're thinking of. Sedan has a different one, not sure what other year coupe's had the same. Can't find a pic quick. There's a top-shelf yellow custom that came out a few years back, it's been in a car polish print ad, it had the dash you're talking about. Awesome pick, BTW.

dig the GT, definitely dig the 3-series (although I much prefer the one without the "iDrive System")

this is a horrible picture, but...

Posted Image

mine has leather seats though ;D

p.s. interestingly enough, i used to work for a company called "iDriveonline". we never got sued, but now they're gone.

Posted Image

183425[/snapback]

Well, atleast it wasn't inspired by a computer...

Posted Image

:withstupid: for sure.

183637[/snapback]

Or an S10 Blazer...

Posted Image

But me? Well... I'll stick with this over those any day.

Posted Image

I gotta say, though I do find much appealing in modern interiors, when shown in the same topic with all this old eye candy they look like they were designed by the Michellin Man or maybe The Pillsbury Doeboy...............I think Oldsmobois photo here just about sums it all up. You can twist and turn, curve and offset all you want but when your done you still just have a big puffy lump of plastic.

There simlpy is no substitute for real wood, stamped stainless and honest to goodness individual gauges. The old steering wheels are finely crafted artwork not these massive characterless blobs.

183654[/snapback]

Ew, wood. Ew, hard. Ew, space wasage. Ew, no airbags.

I, personally, have never seen the appeal of wood in a car. Especially fake wood, but you get the point. As for stainless steel... um yeah... metal dashes... real upscale. So shiny, so hard, so useless. And individual gauges? Well, they have their positives, but they take up space and it's not like they're that much easier to read. But this last think cracks me up... The steering wheels. Haha. Forget about airbags? They have their use and they take up space. And while steering wheels aren't as flashy as they use to be... they're not blobs, most have a design, and some are even good looking. But first and foremost... they are more comfortable. Less positions, yes, but the recommended position is at the 2 and 10 o'clock anyways and all cars have that open for hand usage.

So yeah, while I can attest to the appeals of classic dashes, I greatly prefer modern dashes.

F'ing Amen.

Look at the steering wheel in the posted Bentley pic- sickening for $300K+. You can get the same basic thing in a sentra-class box.

183686[/snapback]

I'll agree with you there... The Bentley's steering wheel is pitiful.

I might be biased, but..... :P

Posted Image

183242[/snapback]

Oh... and some interesting tidbits about my Millenia... it has real wood trim. I was messing around with my stereo and I accidentally broke a piece off and yeah... it's real wood. I was surprised, needless to say. Also, I have yet to be in a vehicle with nicer dash plastics. Now, I haven't experienced every interior of every vehicle, but I've been in just about every newer GM vehicle and random other vehicles. With the array of low gloss, soft touch, and velvet finish plastics, it's the best I've been in. Considering, I've been in GM's best... It's quite sad.

God, I hate modern interiors. plasticplasticplasticplasticplastic, plastics are the cheapest material used in car interiors; synthetic chemicals squirted into a mold. Bakes & brittles in the sun, scratches, gouges & cracks under contact, irrepairable, even smells like $h!. An awful, necessary evil. People desperate to validate the stomach-lurching quantity of 1000 lbs in every car use atom-splitting judgement calls on levels of 'gloss' & 'texture'... it's simultaneously pathetic & laughable. {spits}.

God, I hate modern interiors. plasticplasticplasticplasticplastic, plastics are the cheapest material used in car interiors; synthetic chemicals squirted into a mold. Bakes & brittles in the sun, scratches, gouges & cracks under contact, irrepairable, even smells like $h!. An awful, necessary evil. People desperate to validate the stomach-lurching quantity of 1000 lbs in every car use atom-splitting judgement calls on levels of 'gloss' & 'texture'... it's simultaneously pathetic & laughable. {spits}.

183804[/snapback]

Go sit in a Cobalt and then in a DTS, and I assure you that you'll easily appreciate the difference. It's hardly atom-splitting... cheap ones "bake and brittle in the sun, scratch, gouge, and crack," while expensive ones don't.

Go sit in a Cobalt and then in a DTS, and I assure you that you'll easily appreciate the difference. It's hardly atom-splitting... cheap ones "bake and brittle in the sun, scratch, gouge, and crack," while expensive ones don't.

183969[/snapback]

We've seen alot of dashes do all sorts of things over the years. I have'nt seen much gougeing or scratching though. Part of our point my be that in so many ways the materials have become cheaper. Older plastic dashes used to be nice and soft, though the sun did its eventual damage. Eventually the sun will destroy any plastic material.

Viper, that Millinia is nice. It reminds me of most of the Oldsmobile leather interiors as well as others from that late 90's early 00's period. These colors always make for a pleasent feeling interior when in leather........... in cloth..............baby poop.............. :lol:

I dont see how you feel new wheels are "more comfortable" there is simply no way, and thats not taste either, there just is no way they can be more comfortable, "comfort" is a term never even thought of in old wheels, you dont start talking about comfort until youve made something uncomfortable..........which they have done a really good job of with steering wheels of late. So now we strive for comfort in our steering wheels ? I hope they keep striving, they have a long ways to go.

Of course youve drivin so many...............right ?

Steering wheel style ? your way off on that one too. Today they work really hard trying to make these fat blobs stylish...........yet we can look at them and see they are all just about the same, so hold on tight........right there at 2&10 just like a good little puppet............then watch the test drivers (all former and current race drivers) on SPEED as they fumble around all those posts and try to grip the wheel at 9&3..............just like all good racecars are set up..................not that they are any kind of optimum driving machines................ 8)

Um wood hard ? you mean like that hard plastic instrument panel.........oh I see the benefit of the trade off.............one is real wood and one is real black plastic, OK groovy

Stainless, so hard, so shiny, so worthless.................um you mean like that thin black plastic insert around the shifter on that Honda S2000 ? So if thats soft it gives you something to pinch with your wittle fingies while you drive ? I guess that would make that black plastic eye sore purposefull, then that big red button, such a design revolution, so stunning, like wow!, would you look at that...............yeehaw :pbjtime:

I do like the wrap around into the doors and lack of "stack" but the rest ? Your car blows that thing away, so does our LSS and Flys Aurora. The Honda Chris showed with the stack, no better than GM's and I can only guess that this is something GM is copying in order to please import buyers. Wrap around into doors ? Our 89 NYer had that with plastic wood and was very appealing. Our LSS has the wrap into the doors, as does Aurora, as did Riviera, there is actually nothing revolutionary in that S2000. The black plastic instrument "bezel" is crude and elementary..... Watson

GM's "new" course grain dash look is pretty nice actually, I like it, the material feels pretty nice but its applied to a hard surface, oh well, they will get better. I rarely touch it anyhow, Im too busy grasping that phat wheel at the mandated 10:00/2:00 to get a chance to relax caress the dash pad........................... :ohyeah:

Viper, that Millinia is nice. It reminds me of most of the Oldsmobile leather interiors as well as others from that late 90's early 00's period. These colors always make for a pleasent feeling interior when in leather...........

Yes, It is nice.

I dont see how you feel new wheels are "more comfortable" there is simply no way, and thats not taste either, there just is no way they can be more comfortable, "comfort" is a term never even thought of in old wheels, you dont start talking about comfort until youve made something uncomfortable..........which they have done a really good job of with steering wheels of late. So now we strive for comfort in our steering wheels ? I hope they keep striving, they have a long ways to go.

Yes, they are more comfortable. They're thicker, padded, and usually wrapped in leather.

Of course youve drivin so many...............right ?

You haven't changed, I see. :P

Steering wheel style ? your way off on that one too. Today they work really hard trying to make these fat blobs stylish...........yet we can look at them and see they are all just about the same, so hold on tight........right there at 2&10 just like a good little puppet............then watch the test drivers (all former and current race drivers) on SPEED as they fumble around all those posts and try to grip the wheel at 9&3..............just like all good racecars are set up..................not that they are any kind of optimum driving machines................ 8)

Funny, even Ferraris have posts at 9 and 3 with the optimum position at 2 and 10. Fine for a Ferrari, fine for much less performance oriented vehicles as well. No wonder youre in the extreme minority with your steering wheel criticisms.

Um wood hard ? you mean like that hard plastic instrument panel.........oh I see the benefit of the trade off.............one is real wood and one is real black plastic, OK groovy

:blink:

Stainless, so hard, so shiny, so worthless.................um you mean like that thin black plastic insert around the shifter on that Honda S2000 ? So if thats soft it gives you something to pinch with your wittle fingies while you drive ? I guess that would make that black plastic eye sore purposefull, then that big red button, such a design revolution, so stunning, like wow!, would you look at that...............yeehaw

I do like the wrap around into the doors and lack of "stack" but the rest ? Your car blows that thing away, so does our LSS and Flys Aurora. The Honda Chris showed with the stack, no better than GM's and I can only guess that this is something GM is copying in order to please import buyers. Wrap around into doors ? Our 89 NYer had that with plastic wood and was very appealing. Our LSS has the wrap into the doors, as does Aurora, as did Riviera, there is actually nothing revolutionary in that S2000. The black plastic instrument "bezel" is crude and elementary..... Watson

GM's "new" course grain dash look is pretty nice actually, I like it, the material feels pretty nice but its applied to a hard surface, oh well, they will get better. I rarely touch it anyhow, Im too busy grasping that phat wheel at the mandated 10:00/2:00 to get a chance to relax caress the dash pad...........................

You're weird.

that 'stack' (barely a stack, that interior is so tiny) is a pretty basic design element, I don't like it or dislike it, it's just there.

what I dig is the relatively decent quality and look of the interior and the general placement of controls and instruments. plus it just looks sweet, and it's all black.

Thicker, padded and wrapped with leather?................what a soft touch.......... :lol: Wouldnt want to get blisters on we wittle fingies driving back nd forth through town :blink: when we go on big trips we pull out the "driving gloves" ?............................... :lol:

Like I said there was never a comfort issue with wheels until the 90's. But you just clampon that soft wheel and keep pretendin :ohyeah:

so back on topic before all these colorless plastic marshmellow photos

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Centurion.... what a concept. Wow.

It's a hardtop, it's a g;ass-roof, it's a bubbletop. :blink::wub:

The '57 Cadillac E.B. has THE nicest one in the thread.

------

P.S. The Honda S2000's: :puke:

I found it interesting because it does have a bit of design to the dash top and appears to be vinyled with trim and the rollercoaster grab bar is priceless............ :lol:

These things were all about weight or lack of it, see the tiny door levers, slide windows, just whats needed. These 450S's actually won Sebring in 57 but that was about it.

http://www.supercars.net/cars/2966.html