Just Dashes

HarleyEarl

I probably have a dash fetish. I analyze them to death. Love all the little details...they tended to be more interesting on cars from the past. More free spirited, not so worried about perfect ergonomics. Dashes from most car manufacturers today have a sameness to them, although there are a few out of the norm.

1930 Cadillac Madame X Coupe: This dash has some interesting shapes/details for the time.

Posted Image

1932 Cadillac Sport Phaeton: Beautiful details. Notice the abundance of exposed screws. I tend to like them as they suggested machine-like qualities. Today our sensiblities have changed, we are aghast at the slightest hint of assembly.

Posted Image

Edited by HarleyEarl

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1932 Cadillac Sport Phaeton:  Beautiful details.  Notice the abundance of exposed screws. I tend to like them as they suggested machine-like qualities.  Today our sensiblities have changed, we are aghast at the slightest hint of assembly.

182123[/snapback]

Thank You!

So very true. That's for the same reason why FWD is a must for so

many buyers and "soft plastics" are considered luxurious. We've

turned into a bunch of soft, femenine meatheads.

Sixty8, I dare you to get into a 20 MPH head-on accident in one of those and get out with so much as a bump, bruise, or scratch.

182482[/snapback]

There's always a middle ground.

But as it stands I'd rather die in a 1930s Cadillac

then live with myself owning some FWD tin can

with a interior made of plastic puke.

Just because the dash/instruments are plastic

does not mean they can't look like a million $

and can't include some elegant chrome and

brghtwork in elegant colors. White leather

interiors need to come back in Cadillacs &

Buicks too while where at it.

NOS:

Let me know what you think about the safety

equiptment on that 1903? Olds Curved Dash. :wink:

Edited by Sixty8panther

White leather

interiors need to come back in Cadillacs &

Buicks too while where at it.

182519[/snapback]

Ever try to clean white leather? Better yet, ever seen a car with a white leather interior after about three years? Looks great in the showroom, but a royal bitch to take care of. I'd rather have straight black. And, Christ Almighty, stop bringing drivetrains into every thread...

And the Curved Dash's safety equipment is its top speed.

Wildmanjoe...lovin' that sig. That is one of the nicest pics of that car I've seen. It's an underappreciated year and model......I tend to like them. It's fantastic in white and skirts.

Here's another beautiful dash, the '41 Buick Limited Phaeton. I like the turned metal.

And honestly I'd rather take my chances in a car that still has some character, some soul, where it hasn't had every shred of joy and uniquess squeezed out of it because of all the do-gooders good intentions. People all over are driving classics on a daily basis....and not too worried that there is no air bag, no squishy soft plastic swathing the interior. It is interesting that people are still getting killed and maimed in their modern 'armored tanks'....just like they used to before all the big brother 'interventions'. Stop me before I get all political on ya.

Here's an adage I love to live by....'life without risk is no life at all'. Gents, we ain't gettin' out alive....lets enjoy some pleasures. Whether that be smoking a cigar, running with sissors or the enjoyment of car culture. Don't let the do-gooders strip you of all the fun. Be on guard...fight them off.

Anyways I got sidetracked there....here's a great dash...enjoy...

Posted Image

Edited by HarleyEarl

It is interesting that people are still getting killed and maimed in their modern 'armored tanks'....just like they used to before all the big brother 'interventions'.

182546[/snapback]

This is both a false and ignorant statement, namely because the gulf between injury and death has been widened to the point where ambulatory injuries far, far outnumber deaths and 'maiming' is nearly nonexistant, except in the most violent and awkward of crashes. People die by sheer force of impact instead of having steering columns shot through their lungs or tendons severed by steel dashboards.

Also, I'd argue most of the automobile deaths today are almost voluntarily initiated. In other words, today you can choose not to wear a seatbelt and be catapulted through your windshield whereas in the past, you were almost compelled to suffer violent maiming in a serious accident. Also in this category are single-car drunk driving fatalities and intentional reckless driving.

Federally mandating 3-point seat belts isn't "stripping away the fun;" it ensures you and I will be around longer to enjoy those pleasures of life.

Harl, how about some crazycool Mopar dashes with pushbutton Torqueflite, rectangular steering wheel and rearview mirror on the dashtop? How about some Pontiac late 50's-mid 60's dashes? It's always nice to see Chevy dashes from the same era. Anything GM, really. Also... some Ford dashes, like the tilt-away steering wheel cars?

That 1932 Cadillac Sport Phaeton is just perfect, a full set of gauges right infront of the driver, not sure if all can be seen through the wheel but if so, its perfect.

It is interesting that people are still getting killed and maimed in their modern 'armored tanks'....just like they used to before all the big brother 'interventions'.

The automobile and cancer, mankinds only natural predator..........let the chips fall where they may..........or at least bring back the sabretooth tiger :AH-HA_wink:

I still do and always will love this photo

nothing fancy

just the goods

with a V12

under the hood

1957 Ferrari 250 GT LWB California Spyder

Posted Image

I'm a big fan of the dashboard in my father's 1937 Packard Super Eight model 1500 touring sedan, even in its unfinished state. Great looking cluster in the center, with driver and passenger gloveboxes and the optional "banjo" steering wheel. Fantastic.

That 1932 Cadillac Sport Phaeton is just perfect, a full set of gauges right infront of the driver, not sure if all can be seen through the wheel but if so, its perfect.

The automobile and cancer, mankinds only natural predator..........let the chips fall where they may..........or at least bring back the sabretooth tiger  :AH-HA_wink:

I still do and always will love this photo

nothing fancy

just the goods

with a V12

under the hood

1957 Ferrari 250 GT LWB California Spyder

Posted Image

182598[/snapback]

omg...if a dash could be sex....that would be it.

I'm a big fan of the dashboard in my father's 1937 Packard Super Eight model 1500 touring sedan, even in its unfinished state. Great looking cluster in the center, with driver and passenger gloveboxes and the optional "banjo" steering wheel. Fantastic.

182601[/snapback]

And here is a '37 Packard Super Eight 1500 dash:

Posted Image

Here's a '42 Packard Darrin, amazingly modern in design:

Posted Image

Edited by HarleyEarl

That 42 Packard must have some early plastic ey ? Its got a kinda pearled effect, so cool. Somehow that cover on the top, is it an ashtray top ? Somehow that looks fimiliar.............maybe something similiar on some old early AM radio that was around ? I cant remember any Packards in the family. Now the steering wheel and horn ring are a showpiece in itself.

I knew an older fella that survived the "Pacific Theater".......he told me "the best is gone" though it sounds bleaker than reality actually is, there is also alot of truth in it. This is but one example.

Edited by razoredge

Posted Image

^^Just ran out into the garage to take a picture; glovebox doors aren't mounted, steering wheel's not refinished, and the car's got no interior, but it gives a better view of the gauge cluster, which is all done.

Please note that the '37 Packard dash has an early aftermarket turn signal setup mounted to the steering column; it's not factory.

182614[/snapback]

I was gonna say, the Mack Im driving has one of them............well you know how Packards and their electrical problems were.................... :AH-HA_wink:

Posted Image

^^Just ran out into the garage to take a picture; glovebox doors aren't mounted, steering wheel's not refinished, and the car's got no interior, but it gives a better view of the gauge cluster, which is all done.

182617[/snapback]

breathtaking....it's going to be a beaut.

...and that brings up another subject dear to my loins. I love a good view out the windshield of a voluptous hood. I just get hard at the sight of it. That Ferrari give's sensational hood. So nice to see something there and not just the base of the windshield and dropping off into nothing.

Edited by HarleyEarl

Well I went to see what the early obscure European cars had for dashes, hard to find for starters. The famed Bugatti type 57, forget it, very stark, the various body shells on the other hand were quite nice. This is still kinda base compared to the Cadillac of the same early 30's

1932 Delage D8 SS Four Seat Tourer by Chapron

Posted Image

Edited by razoredge

...and that brings up another subject dear to my loins.  I love a good view out the windshield of a voluptous hood.  I just get hard at the sight of it.  That Ferrari give's sensational hood.  So nice to see something there and not just the base of the windshield and dropping off into nothing.

182658[/snapback]

thats what I meant about that photo, though a bit is cut out in the shot it is otherwise such an angle to give great effect. Only thing that would improve it would be the music under that hood.

yes that piece of wood and stainless in XP shot is awsome, must be the other 37 Packard is somewaht different ?

So Harley.........Mr Photofinderman...........what did Cord and Auburn have back in the day ? My search for French dash design exhausted me and left me fairly fruitless.  :(

182668[/snapback]

Here's a Cord. O man looking at some of these makes from the golden age of American cars just makes me weak at the knees. America made some incredible cars in those years.

Posted Image

...and that brings up another subject dear to my loins.  I love a good view out the windshield of a voluptous hood.  I just get hard at the sight of it.  That Ferrari give's sensational hood.  So nice to see something there and not just the base of the windshield and dropping off into nothing.

182658[/snapback]

Posted Image

Sorry to disappoint you, mister Earl, but she ain't got a hood to look out over yet! :lol:

Early plastic in the Buick shots is likely Bakelite, a dense, high-quality-feel synthetic (then again- it may be soybean-based: Ford was doing it). Nothing since is as nice and rich- I laugh when reviews praise the quality of -say- lexus plastics.

Ferrari dash is cool & purposeful, tho you can't help but wonder if the wheel was mounted 180-degrees from where it is, the guages would be perfectly unobscured. Reminds me of the Cadillac LeMans dash:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The '32 Cadillac & '37 Packard clusters are gorgeous.

Edited by balthazar

yea, gotta wonder what one can see throu the three spoke wheel, two spoke as usual, onces again rules. Sunbeam had a two spoke banjo, no obstruction, I actually dont like these three spoke "sport wheels" at all. Polished aluminum and wood or not, look nice but Im all about function.

I don't think any manufacturer ever used an 'upsidedown' 3-spoke; guess nearly everyone has fallen subject to 'form over function' at one point or another.

2-spoke would be better, or either a 'lazy' 3-spoke or a 'lazy' 4-spoke, where the upper 2 spokes laid lower. Divide the pie evenly and you get obstruction.

Ever try to clean white leather? Better yet, ever seen a car with a white leather interior after about three years? Looks great in the showroom, but a royal bitch to take care of. I'd rather have straight black.

182520[/snapback]

Ummmm... remember Big Red, XP's RED/WHITE/WHITE '79 CdV?

Yeah, the only thing wrong with the while leather was the driver's

seat was split & cracked. Common sense: if you're going to own

a car with white leather don't sit in it after you go mud wrestling

& before you shower.

That's like saying:

"Chrome wheels suck they're a bitch to keep clean"

Sure there's truth to that but who effin cares? If you're that worried

about it then just let us have the chrome wheels & you can get

hubcaps instead. Same goes for white leather.

Alternative, no obstructions:

Posted Image

182824[/snapback]

As I read Joes post and while this loaded I was actually thinking of and expecting the Firebird concept.

What is this one Balth ?

Satty.............thats just gross, comparitively speaking

Harley and Balth - Wheres the photo of the early 60's Chrysler dash ? You know the one

Razor, do you mean the '63 Chrysler Turbine?

No, but ....................cool ! Not the gauges so much but the rest............very interesting, maybe the coolest console yet ! At least if you dont want to rest the right arm.

I was talking about the dome or globe style gauges, kinda like gauges in a bubble, staged off in tiers or something of that sort........Balth knows, we discussed it once. Early NYer I believe..............

speaking of which, I wonder about the Airflow ? Let see ................

1935 Chrysler Imperial CX Airflow Limosine 8 Passanger

Posted Image

1934 DeSoto Airflow 2 Door Sedan Dash

Posted Image

interestingly I see quite a bit of VW Beetle in this here 1934 DeSoto Airflow 2Door Coupe which is going to make me hunt the Beetle post back up and post the photo

Razor- I actually uploaded the Chrysler AstroDome last night, just didn't get around to posting it. Here ya go, this is a '60:

Posted Image

The '63 Turbine does indeed have one of the coolest consoles in the world, but the smallish guages & lack of shiny bits left me less than amorous about the rest. Still good, just not outstanding as the console is. I sat in car #18.

Pic I posted earlier with the speedo in the steering hub: '54 Lincoln Futura. Some of you might know it better in it's 2nd life: the original '66 Batmobile.

Airflow/Airstream had some of the coolest details: the vent windows opened conventionally, but when closed, the entire side window AND vent window roll down into the door. Ingenious.

BV- :lol:

Edited by balthazar