My Solstice Is Wrecked

Guest Josh

Yup, got cut off on the expressway last night. Lost control, pinballed from guard rail to guard rail...the Solstice is hit.

Since I was the only car involved, what are the odds the insurance company will cover it, since its basically my word and only my word as not witnesses stopped.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$hit Dude... that sucks.

At least you came out okay. Did you have your seat belt on?

Post some photos when you get a chance. :blink:

I'm not posting any photo's I dont want to be reminded of it. Loki, why would Triple A drop me after? It wasn't my fault.....I just hope this turns out OK in the end.

Nos, I was on the I-94 entry ramp just before 13 mile rd coming home.

And, am I OK? Well...I think I have a concussion and my heart is broken. So......save for the broken heart, I guess I'm fine.

Oh and GMTruckGuy since I saw you are reading this....the car protected me just fine in a head on collision with the Guardrail...you should have the satisfaction of knowing you will be protected just fine.

Man that must have been one hell of a ride. I can't imagine doing that (pinballing) in my SKY without hitting my head somewhere on something inside. I hope you're alright.

How badly damaged is she Josh? Being that most of the panels are hydroformed, I'm sure it won't be cheap to fix. Frame damage? Gosh, I sound like ocnblu here!

You and the Solstice will be in my prayers tonight.

And, am I OK? Well...I think I have a concussion and my heart is broken. So......save for the broken heart, I guess I'm fine.

Oh and GMTruckGuy since I saw you are reading this....the car protected me just fine in a head on collision with the Guardrail...you should have the satisfaction of knowing you will be protected just fine.

181094[/snapback]

Thanks for thinking of me. However, from your wording "head on" I take it that there's a ton of damage and repairs seem unlikely. Even though you don't want to take pictures, your Solstice would be forever remembered (over on solsticeforum.com & Skyroadster.com - they post pics of damaged/totalled Kappa cars from time to time). I'll be blunt and say I'm interested in seeing what kind of damage this car can take to protect its occupant(s), but will understand if you choose not to post any pictures.

Josh - if the car is totalled by your insurance company, what are you going to do? Ironically I was thinking about this very thing over the weekend. I wondered what I would do if my SKY was totalled in an accident. It's not like I can just go to the dealership and pickup a new one - I know there's a backlog of orders, and the Redline model hasn't even been shipped yet. Would you, if you had the opportunity, get another Solstice (or slide over to Saturn :P )???

50/50 chance they cover it while jacking up your insurance rates to astronomical levels or simply drop you. They also could drop you afterwards; its happened to folks I know with Geico.

Sorry to hear it and good luck whatever the outcome. You're okay, though. That's the obviously important thing.

There's a dealership in Richmond (about maybe a half hour, 45 mins from Josh) with a red Solstice sitting out front. I'm sure they can get a Solstice in if they needed it. Besides, Josh doesn't lie when he says Jim Causley Pontiac/GMC is the best Pontiac dealer there is.

I would get another Solstice for sure Roger. There's no way I could sway from Pontiac.

I can't do anything until the police report is filed. The cop at the scene told me to talk to my friend who is a Roseville cop to file the accident claim which I have to do.

I'm just worried. I might go take pictures of it today.

I'm so sorry Josh. I'm glad you're OK though. GM will crank out another Solstice in Wilmington in no time. Can't say the same for you.

I don't know how MI is, but in NY, if you have a car on loan or anything, you're required to get full coverage on it. So your insurance people would probably fix it, then either jack your rates up or drop you, which might depend on your record with them up to this point.

You need to talk to your insurance company, like now.

181132[/snapback]

Yes. Don't wait to file a police report. That is only important if its clear its someone else's fault and you have witnesses/the person at fault alongside the road with you. You can forward that police report to AAA at any time.

If you haven't called your agent yet, do it now.

Did you even get a partial on the plate or vehicle descript?

Josh, I'm stunned. That's sad, and yes, heartbreaking news. Back when things were different, it was always fun to read your updates when you were waiting to take delivery. Best of luck in this bad situation.

heartbreaking alright............ :(

you'll get covered but with the steep depreciation that cars take immeadiatly. Probably wont cover all remaining payments. Then no matter what you insure you will probably feel sick at your next insurance quote. My company Erie, has first accident forgiveness, not sure how they would react to a total on a new car.

I really hope you get back around to and then beyond this as soon as possible, its gotta hurt bad. and yes, no photos, that would be sick.

Hey Josh, sorry to hear about your Solstice. Glad you're doing all right. That's the most important thing. I've had a few concussions of my own from playing football so I know what they're like. The only thing that heals them is time. As far as the person is concerned, if you got a description and even a partial veicle plate, then you can file that wil the Police and they'll pursue it as more of a "hit & run" rather than a single vehicle accident. My insurance company is the same on the Cobalt and our Impala, since they're both financed, then they HAVE to have full-coverage.

I'm glad to hear that you want another Solstice (A GXP model might just help your broken heart heal a little faster you know!). Here's to hoping that your insurance agent/company doesn't screw you with the amount they give when totalling out the car. I worked in a claims department (taking reports) for a large NJ insurance company during college. It might be helpful if you have any up-to-date pictures of your Solstice showing it's immaculate condition. This way your agent/insurance company can't claim the car might have had prior damage they won't want to pay for.

Again, I'm being selfish about wanting to see pics b/c I'd like to know just exactly how strong these Kappa cars really are. But I'll totally understand if you choose not to take any to share online.

How's that head today? Have you been checked out by your doctor or at the hospital? Don't let this slip by - taking care of yourself is priority #1 right now. Get better soon.

That sucks...Just glad that you are basically ok...

I agree with everyone...file that claim! Get yourself checked out!

Maybe you can get a GXP now... :)

I've noticed 94 has been really bad lately-I'm not sure why.

I was getting off 94 in Ypsi in the wife's car-and had not one-but two cars

cut in front of me-they just about took the nose off her car... :nono:

Stupid people... :(

Keep us updated...pics if you can...

Bummer... Thats why I always keep it in my head that if somebody cuts me off, hit them. Take the b*stard down with you and let insurance sort it out. Better than running yourself off the road and having to take it all alone.

181478[/snapback]

Yeah that's not the best course of action in Mass.

If you rear end someone in this state it's ALWAYS your fault.

99.999% of the time it's automatic no fault for the person

who is rear ended. This state's driver manuals say you should

be able to "maintain control of your vehicle at ALL times."

So you're supposed to be able to predict the future and know

when some prick cuts you off and slams on his brakes.

It's nothing but B.S. If you have a big $$$ lawyer you're set.

• 3 weeks later...

no mention of another car involved.

'tail happy' 'rear drive car'? (redundant terms by the way). One reason why FWD is so popular with the masses.

that sort of stuff is why I shy away from having a RWD car. Too much work required to keep it pointed straight. Hard to drink the latte and keep the car from being a bitch at the same time. Although in case it seems as though the driver was doing the fun and gun on purpose.

It would be interesting to see if the GXP's stabilitrak would have helped.

Edited by regfootball

I think stabillatrack definately would have helped.... it's saved my butt a few times in the CTS.

There was one time coming out of a car wash and I had the system turned off.... did a Dukes of Hazzard type right hand turn onto the highway.