GM's XM Satellite Radio Option Now $199

Flybrian

Posted Image

GM's XM Satellite Radio Option Now $199

XM Satellite Radio is One of the Fastest Technology Rollouts in GM History

DETROIT - General Motors has lowered the option price of factory-installed XM Satellite Radio (NASDAQ: XMSR) by 39 percent to $199, from $325, beginning with most model-year 2007 vehicles. More than 90 percent of GM's model-year 2006 and 2007 U.S. retail vehicles offer factory-installed XM Satellite Radios as either an option or as standard equipment.

"The economies of scale and engineering efficiencies brought by the rapid pace of XM Radio installations across GM's product lineup allow us to pass along cost savings to our customers," said Mark LaNeve, vice president of GMNA Sales, Service and Marketing. "XM Radio has become a must-have feature for many customers and demand just continues to grow. Chevrolet alone has produced over two million XM-equipped vehicles."

Consumer acceptance has made factory installation of XM Satellite Radio one of the most rapid technology rollouts in GM history. More than 60 percent of current GM customers with XM-equipped vehicles say they will prefer their next vehicle be equipped with XM Radio and 80 percent say they will recommend it to friends and family. General Motors, the industry leader in offering factory-installed satellite radio equipped vehicles, has built over 4 million XM-equipped vehicles since 2001 -- more than all other vehicle manufacturers combined.

"The strong support of General Motors and its customers has been a key factor in establishing and maintaining XM's leadership position in satellite radio and in-car entertainment," said Steve Cook, Executive Vice President, Automotive, XM Satellite Radio.

XM is the exclusive satellite radio partner of GM, which offers more than 50 vehicle models that feature XM Satellite Radio -- the most extensive model line up of satellite-equipped vehicles in the industry. GM was the first vehicle manufacturer to introduce satellite radio in 2001 as a factory-installed option on 2002 Cadillac DeVille and Seville models. XM Satellite Radio is standard on all Cadillac models. All GM retail vehicle sales with factory-installed XM radios include a three-month trial service period.

I won't be surprised if it comes standard sooner or later. AFAIK it uses the same hardware as OnStar, and since GM is making OnStar standard, it would make sense to make XM standard as well.

181051[/snapback]

+1, they still make money off the subscription. Of course people would/will complain about "I didn't want that option, why are they forcing me to have it?", but they'll get over it. :lol:

+1, they still make money off the subscription.  Of course people would/will complain about "I didn't want that option, why are they forcing me to have it?", but they'll get over it.  :lol:

181055[/snapback]

Well, if people really doesn't want it, they can still have the hardware, just no subscription for it. Much like cable boxes or DSL modems for certain companies.

I don't see the harm though. It's not like it's a huge cost to make it compatible anyways I suppose.

Well,  if people really doesn't want it, they can still have the hardware, just no subscription for it. Much like cable boxes or DSL modems for certain companies.

I don't see the harm though. It's not like it's a huge cost to make it compatible anyways I suppose.

181066[/snapback]

I work on the GM Minivan assembly line in Doraville GA. To see the number of vehicles that come down the line without the Onstar or XM "bump" up there on the roof is mystifying. I rationalize it as hardware availability. I have both in my personal vehicle in addition to the DVD GPS nav unit. I am spoiled I suppose, but I am waiting for the day when I can punch in a destination and have the vehicle deliver me to my chosen location.

I gotta say that I really wanted to like XM, but it's just 'okay' in my opinion. It was cool to drive from Texas to Colorado on a ski trip and be able to listen to the same station, but other than that.....it's just okay. Glad to see they're droping the price and I'm not knocking XM, but I'd rather spend the extra $$$ for the OnStar subscription.

Is OnStar not standard on the Uplander in the U.S.? Up here in the hinterland, OnStar has been standard for two years now on the Uplanders, which we sell a lot of.

Back to XM, I've had it since March and I am addicted. No more Cds. Never use my iPod either (my XM is a portable).

Like most new technology, there will be some resistance, but to use XM for a couple days is to become hooked.

I have Sirius and would never get XM, and if I were to buy a GM car with XM, I'd just switch the "brain" to a Sirius brain....Sirius has a better music library IMO and Howard Stern. I love Sirius. GM is lowering the price for one reason and one reason only, XM is doing bad, they've had a huge loss of revenue since Howard Stern joined Sirius. Sirius is on par to pass XM in total subscriptions soon.

:ohyeah: This is great. Two great products being sold as one. Love the new price. As far as aftermarket installations, you risk a squeaky dash or wires all over the place with an add on module, plus leaky seals where they push the antenna through. The factory install is great - just wish that GM would figure out that the shark fin would look better at the rear of the vehicle and not over the front window on the driver's side. If Audi, BMW, Mercedes, VW and every other damned manufacturer understands where to put the antenna - why not GM? 'Tis me only gripe...fergive me!

XM radio has succeeded and thrived largely because GM has aggressively put it on so many vehicles, something Sirius has not had the luxury of.

GM has done so because they own 8% of XM. A big beneficiary of this has been Honda, which owns 10% and is a much smaller player in the U.S. market (and hence in XM's success), but benefits from the rise in stock price.

I have Sirius and would never get XM, and if I were to buy a GM car with XM, I'd just switch the "brain" to a Sirius brain....Sirius has a better music library IMO and Howard Stern.  I love Sirius.  GM is lowering the price for one reason and one reason only, XM is doing bad, they've had a huge loss of revenue since Howard Stern joined Sirius.  Sirius is on par to pass XM in total subscriptions soon.

181124[/snapback]

I don't think so. XM has a lot more subscribers than Sirius, and while neither is making huge amounts of cash, XM is in much better financial shape.

Well, I don't know how anyone can definitively say who has a better library, unless you subscribe to both and listen to ALL formats of music. I am sure each has its strengths. Stern is crass and gets on my nerves after a while. He is funny to a point, but wears thin, IMO.

However, I am a dance music freak and the first night I had XM they played a very rare dance music 12" from 1981, called The Break. Great track and if they've got that in their collection (or whomever the guest DJ was that night), then I am impressed.

HOwever, if Sirius has a better collection of Nana Miskouri, well I don't care. LOL

I don't think so.  XM has a lot more subscribers than Sirius, and while neither is making huge amounts of cash, XM is in much better financial shape.

181145[/snapback]

XM does have more subscribers...and I already stated that, the fact of the matter is Sirius has gained almost 5 million people in the last year due to Stern while XM, which has the advantage of being a factory installed option whereas Sirius was late to the game, has had to lower their projections for the 4th quater of the year and has come to an almost standstill while Sirius is on the rise.

XM has I believe close to 8 or 9 million subscribers and has been around longer than Sirius and Sirius is in the 5 million range and about 4 and a half million of those subscribtions have come due to Stern, plus the NFL and now NASCAR. Sirius is pushing new products, a new version of the Sportster, and a new totally portable unit (much like an Ipod). With Sirius now being offered in DCX products as well as I believe Volkswagen, the tables will infact change.

Opie and Anthony have gone back to free radio because they failed big time with XM, and frankly every XM sales location I've been to like Best Buy etc....all the XM units are overstocked and Sirius is almost always sold out.

Well, I don't know how anyone can definitively say who has a better library, unless you subscribe to both and listen to ALL formats of music.  I am sure each has its strengths.  Stern is crass and gets on my nerves after a while.  He is funny to a point, but wears thin, IMO.

However, I am a dance music freak and the first night I had XM they played a very rare dance music 12" from 1981, called The Break.  Great track and if they've got that in their collection (or whomever the guest DJ was that night), then I am impressed.

HOwever, if Sirius has a better collection of Nana Miskouri, well I don't care.  LOL

181239[/snapback]

Stern hasn't been funny since 1991 IMO.

IMO XM is decent but not great, sirious is also just ok.

what i dont understand is why it matters. i am pretty sure that someone on the fence on choosing a car to buy did not just say "oh, well that settles it. I am going to buy a GM car thanks to cheaper XM!"

Seriously does it really matter that much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :duh:

Opie and Anthony have gone back to free radio because they failed big time with XM, and frankly every XM sales location I've been to like Best Buy etc....all the XM units are overstocked and Sirius is almost always sold out.

The Opie and Anthony XM/CBSRadio deal was brilliant. XM is making money from it, CBS replaced David Lee Roth and is making very strong gains in the markets he ruined, Opie and Anthony are now heard by more people, and XM listeners get to lisen to them more, so, wheres the problem?

Hoo Hoo Howie talks about how bad the deal is, only because he wasn't offered it (he says he was, but he's a crazy old man with woman hands). Hes upset because he lost a lot of listeners when he went to satillite (his Sirius numbers were lower than Opie and Anthonys pure XM numbers), and now Opie and Anthony picked up a lot of his old audience (the ones not scared away by Howies replacement, Roth).

Not to mention, Howie sure takes a lot of time off, is he back from vacation yet?

Well, I don't know how anyone can definitively say who has a better library, unless you subscribe to both and listen to ALL formats of music.  I am sure each has its strengths.  Stern is crass and gets on my nerves after a while.  He is funny to a point, but wears thin, IMO.

However, I am a dance music freak and the first night I had XM they played a very rare dance music 12" from 1981, called The Break.  Great track and if they've got that in their collection (or whomever the guest DJ was that night), then I am impressed.

HOwever, if Sirius has a better collection of Nana Miskouri, well I don't care.  LOL

181239[/snapback]

If you really thank howard has brought so many listners over to sirus you are are so so wrong 90% of howards free fm base didnt not go over to sirus. howard has pretty much takes off on all fri. he lies just about everythang he talks about he thanks hes god HES NOT....

Go over to Xm listen to Opie and Anthony and little jimmy 5-6 hour hour morning program mon thrue fri they also are on Fm radios stations matter fact they are doing there Fm gig in howards old studio some the best radio out there is on Xm ok maybe we lost Nascar for now but it will return well still have nascar programs like Dale jr and jimmy Johnson on there own program Baseball oh yea just like the old days football just isnt my cup of tea on radio :CG_all:

The Opie and Anthony XM/CBSRadio deal was brilliant. XM is making money from it, CBS replaced David Lee Roth and is making very strong gains in the markets he ruined, Opie and Anthony are now heard by more people, and XM listeners get to lisen to them more, so, wheres the problem?

Hoo Hoo Howie talks about how bad the deal is, only because he wasn't offered it (he says he was, but he's a crazy old man with woman hands). Hes upset because he lost a lot of listeners when he went to satillite (his Sirius numbers were lower than Opie and Anthonys pure XM numbers), and now Opie and Anthony picked up a lot of his old audience (the ones not scared away by Howies replacement, Roth).

Not to mention, Howie sure takes a lot of time off, is he back from vacation yet?

182711[/snapback]

:lol: ...mark

For the HHR, the Canadian 2007 price is $260, including 3 months free service. You may be required to upgrade the stereo, however, depending on the model. On the LS, for example, you need to pay for US8 ($325) which upgrades to MP3 compatible, more features on the unit, etc.

Some packages (such as on Equinox LT) are now including XM. FYI, I am being billed $45 every 3 months for my service, but that is going up September 1. You can lock into a 1 or 2 year plan for $11 something a month, but you need to do it fast.

181377[/snapback]

Are you nuts? OnA were basically dead before XM... No radio station would take them.

XM is what brought them back to life. They are back on regular radio now because their XM show was so GOOD that every FM market wanted them.

You don't get syndicated in just about every major city of the US because you are a failure.

Edited by Whistler

For the HHR, the Canadian 2007 price is $260, including 3 months free service.  You may be required to upgrade the stereo, however, depending on the model.  On the LS, for example, you need to pay for US8 ($325) which upgrades to MP3 compatible, more features on the unit, etc.

Thanks very much..I assume the upgrade to the Pioneer speakers and sub is also necessary as it was in 2006, on the LS...adding almost $1K to the price all in. (unfortunatley).

Are you with a Canadian GM dealership? If so, I may have a quick question or two

via PM.