Spending Green To Go Green

Flybrian

Spending Green To Go Green

BMW, GM, DCX to spend $1 billion on hybrid transmissions

By RICHARD TRUETT | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

AutoWeek | Published 08/11/06, 10:17 am et

Link to Original Article @ AutoWeek

Going green isn’t cheap.

Andreas Truckenbrodt, executive director of hybrid powertrains for DaimlerChrysler, revealed General Motors, BMW and DaimlerChrysler will spend at least $1 billion to develop a pair of "Two Mode" hybrid transmissions to be used in full-sized SUVs, luxury vehicles and front-wheel-drive cars.

The $1 billion is not equally divided among the automakers, said Larry Nitz, executive director of hybrid powertrain engineering for GM. That's because the costs for each automaker go up based on the number of vehicles in which the Two Mode transmission is used. Each model with the Two Mode must have its own software calibrations, Nitz explained.

BMW, which, except for the Mini Cooper makes rear-wheel-drive cars, is not taking part in the development of the front-wheel-drive version of the transmission but might at a later date.

None of the automakers have ever commented on the cost of the project, nor have they given volume projections. Truckenbrodt said core development of the transmission's internal workings cost $300 million.

About 500 engineers from the three automakers are working on the Two Mode under a single roof in an office complex in Troy, Michigan.

GM is scheduled to launch the transmission first, late next summer in the Chevrolet Tahoe. The Two Mode is also slated for the GMC Yukon and Cadillac Escalade, both due in 2008. Dodge will use the transmission in the Durango for the 2009 model year.

BMW and Mercedes-Benz vehicles will get the Two Mode. But neither automaker will say what cars or SUVs will get the transmission and when those cars will be marketed.

The Two Mode transmission, when used with cylinder-cutoff technology, is expected to increase the fuel economy of a full-sized V8-powered SUV by at least 25 percent. That means a 5000-pound Tahoe could get highway fuel economy of about 26 mpg.

GM will build the rear-wheel Two Mode in a plant near Baltimore and sell it to BMW and DaimlerChrysler. The front-wheel-drive version, which uses many of the same parts as the rear-drive Two Mode, will likely be built by DaimlerChrysler.

GM, you have the capacity. Build all of the models of this transmission and sell them to the other companys. People can and do knock you for many things, but building quality, reliable, smooth transmissions is the one thing you to better than anyone else.

If GM is the head of all this then it sounds like we are in great position right now.  To stay number one in the worldm they need to be number one in designs and concepts.  think outside the box!!!!! 

Keep it up GM!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

180698[/snapback]

Even if GM drops to #2 but keeps up with world leading designs and technology with the out of the box thinking, then GM will blow past Toyota in the future. I think when GM and

Toyota hit the fork in the road, Toyota went the wrong way and GM went the right way. Keep it up GM! :yes:

I'd be hitting my head about the FWD part... not DCX. <_<

But yes I agree, this is good news. GM needs to become

more competetive and this is a great way to ensure that.

I still think Hybrids like the Prius & Insight are 95%

marketing tools 05% practical solutions to the problems

of fossil fuels. It's a billionth of a percentage of a drop in

the bucket. Cars aren't the biggest problem to begin with.

I'd be hitting my head about the FWD part... not DCX.

181023[/snapback]

That doesn't even make sense. RWD two-modes are also being made. "Mercedes" and "reliability" aren't interchangable anymore.

Cars aren't the biggest problem to begin with.

181023[/snapback]

You're actually saying motor vehicles are not the biggest contributors to fuel consumption? :blink:

181023[/snapback]

It'd be nice if someday you could pull your head out of your butt and admit that FWD has a place in the market. You don't like it? Fine, don't buy it, but have enough of a brain to realize that making every vehicle on the market RWD would be dumb.

This is good news fo GM. Keep this momentum going!

If a Hybrid Tahoe can get comparable fuel economy to our Venture, I think I've found its replacement when the time comes.

You're actually saying motor vehicles are not the biggest contributors to fuel consumption?  :blink:

181028[/snapback]

i think he was hinting at the most effective hybrids... public transit uses..... right sixty8?

eh... i still think changingworldtech.com has the best solution. but there are scientists, at least one "infamous*" one has said we do have an unlimted supply of oil, just have to beable to drill for it and beable to improve drilling methods.

* he also made an insane prediction about something else, can't remember, and everyone thought noway, but it became true... i try a quick look up for this guy...?

But yes I agree, this is good news. GM needs to become

more competetive and this is a great way to ensure that.

I still think Hybrids like the Prius & Insight are 95%

marketing tools 05% practical solutions to the problems

of fossil fuels. It's a billionth of a percentage of a drop in

the bucket. Cars aren't the biggest problem to begin with.

181023[/snapback]

You're actually saying motor vehicles are not the biggest contributors to fuel consumption?  :blink:

181028[/snapback]

umm i'm not sure what he was implying... but motor vehicles are the biggest contributors to fuel consumption, but, they arent the biggest contributors to global warming...

It'd be nice if someday you could pull your head out of your butt and admit that FWD has a place in the market.  You don't like it?  Fine, don't buy it, but have enough of a brain to realize that making every vehicle on the market RWD would be dumb.

181029[/snapback]

and i think he was complaining about dcx making the fwd trans.... not the cars actually being fwd...

But it's the most controllable.

181249[/snapback]

thats why its not a big player in the global warming as it was 20-30 years ago....

fuel consumption has declined for decades

emissions have declined again for decades

like they said... a brand new car emits less smog causing elements traveling 12k miles a year, then a vehicle from the 60's that is parked all year round... :o

Edited by Newbiewar

???!!!

Are you sure about that?

fuel efficiency has remained fairly stagnent <sometimes falling> due to people switching from cars to SUVs/Trucks.

181541[/snapback]

... yes, but regaurdless a impala from 20-30 years ago... gets what 12 mpg?

now they are 21-31?

... yes, but regaurdless a impala from 20-30 years ago... gets what 12 mpg?

now they are 21-31?

181560[/snapback]

different class man.

try this:

A Chrysler 5th Ave gets XX and a Chrysler 300c gets xx.

How about one of the oldest cars on the road out there now. The Town Car... it's mileage hasn't gone up that much and now then only sell a fraction of what they used to. The towncar has been replaced by the Navigator as Lincoln's top seller... and it gets about the same as that old towncar from 20 years ago.