Does This Make Sense To You?

Guest YellowJacket894

Guest YellowJacket894

I just ran some insurance quotes over at Allstate and, I have to ask, does this make any sense to you?

*1998 Chevrolet Camaro, V6, Base: $3,150.00

*1998 Pontiac Firebird, V6, Base: $2,760.00

That's right. It's pretty much the same friggen car and the Firebird comes out cheaper on insurance. (And, you know, it never occured to me until just a minute ago to see what a Firebird would cost me on insurance; I thought it would cost around $200 bucks above the Camaro.) Well, folks, looks like I may just be finding a Firebird to drive. That's not a bad insurance rate, really.

Guest YellowJacket894

At the moment, I'm sixteen and I live in Kan-tuck-eee. (My age has a lot to do with it, I suppose.)

Edited by YellowJacket894

Guest YellowJacket894

The more I research the 'Bird, the more it makes sense to purchase.

Lets see, I can buy a 1998 like the one quoted for around $9,995 wig wams with low miles. Payment at 48 months is $248.73. I think Ace Hardware may pay me enough to make the payment if they hire me...I hope. :D

Guest YellowJacket894

Damn, Yellow. My insurance will end up cheaper than yours. :blink:

This is an '01, so I'd say this may cost me anywhere between $50 and $150 additional bucks. But the price is great (only $9,775), so are the miles (53,132 mi.) and the color (black). Not to mention it's a manual (which means I'll be finding a way to get rid of the skip-shift function...or is that the six-speed only?).

The car...

Posted Image

The 6-speed is the only one with skip-shift. The only reason it has it is so that it doesn't get the gas guzzler tax on the V8s.

Was the Camaro by chance red? That will raise the rates quite a bit...

I think you're getting ripped-off though. We pay $750 a year on the GTO, but I guess we also have 5 cars which makes it go down.

Guest YellowJacket894

The 6-speed is the only one with skip-shift. The only reason it has it is so that it doesn't get the gas guzzler tax on the V8s.

Ah, that's what I thought. :AH-HA_wink:

Nope.

I think you're getting ripped-off though. We pay $750 a year on the GTO, but I guess we also have 5 cars which makes it go down.

Probably. That was just a quick quote, though. I should've checked out State Farm, though, since we have 3 cars through them.

180139[/snapback]

Um.....I'm pretty sure thats BS. I've never had an insurance agent aske me what color my car was (and I've held policies on five red cars and one blue one in the last three years).

I was paying $275/month for my Saturn when I first got it ($180/month car payment) and after six months a ticket fell off my record and my payments went down to $235. That was with American Family. The day I test drove the Solara, I went and got a quote from State Farm who quoted me $90/month then went to my AmFam agent who quoted me $240/month, then Allstate who quoted me about $90/month as well. I went with State Farm and when I went to AmFam to cancel my policy she asked why. I told her it was because she was going to charge me almost three times as much as the other places. She came up with some crap about how they were going to give me a good driver discount or something, I just signed the cancellation stuff and left.

Is insurance government subsidized in the US? That's the only way I can see rates this low...

$90/month is RIDICULOUSLY low. I'm assuming the Solara was worth about $15k. At $90/mth, it would take over 12 years to repay that, never mind what it costs the insurance company just to stay running, paying employees and such. How are they still in business???

I had glass last winter with a girl who had a 2001ish Chrysler Sebring coupe or something along those lines whose monthly insurance payments were $58/month. My friend's wife has an '87 Corolla hatchback with about 230,000 miles on it and they pay $36/month for it for the minimum insurance allowed by Missouri.

Ontario - and Toronto in particular, has the highest insurance rates in North America, possibly the world. Who do you think is paying for those fancy insurance buildings downtown - you know, the ones with the marble lobbies and the golf course lawn. I had a 53 year old male client who was Canadian born but had lived outside the country for 12 years and he was charged $530 a month for a Venture minivan! The insurance companies cannot descriminate based on race, so they nail every new driver, regardless of age. I had a higher up insurance rep tell me that Toronto has the highest amount of fraud and losses because of new drivers.....what he isn't allowed to say but indicated with a shrug is that it is the "new Canadians" that are the problem. Now, I am not going to get on an anti-immigrant rant, but let me say that when I was in Sao Paulo and Rio last year I thought the drivers there were crazy, but the key thing is that they are all crazy in the same way. The driver's there anticipated each other's zigs and zags because they all learned to drive the same way. Here in Toronto, where half the population was not born here, you get people from all over the world, many of whom developed habits (both good and bad) elsewhere. If you've ever driven in China, for example, there is absolutely no respect for the rules of the road. Signs are merely suggestions. Mix all these people up and put them in a city where the government has hated the car for 30 years and you have a good recipe for disaster. Remember: Toronto is only 5 milliion and LA is 10, but the 401 handles more traffic in a day than the Santa Monica Freeway. It is no wonder we pay such outrageous rates!

Guest YellowJacket894

Keep in mind guys that those are quotes for every six months. Multiply by two to see what it would cost yearly. (But, still, the 'Bird comes out cheaper.) :AH-HA_wink:Also, I've been interested in a base SE Dodge Charger. The rate? $3,360.00 big ones due every six months. That doesn't add up either because the Charger is a newer, four-door car.Allstate is pretty screwy.I think I'll ask State Farm next if their stupid quote page doesn't go FUBAR on me again.

Guest YellowJacket894

Ouch! Those rates are for every 6 months?!

Y'hup. I plan on paying monthly, though. Or maybe I'll just add myself onto my parent's policy. I don't know.

I pay like 150 bucks a month or so for my car...granted, I am under my parent's policy.

I guess the later makes sense then.

I have a 2006 TBSS its about 3,000 a year with GEICO. I am 22, live in NJ close to newark and i have an accident and ticket. There are discounts on there like good student, airbags, abs, onstar, antitheft and partner organization. With all that it is just a little over 3,000 a year with comp and collision. After the march renewal it will go down about 250 or so a year because the ticket and accident i think come off by then. Next big step is the good driver discount....two more years to go for 5 years of no accidents or tickets and that should take a few more hundred off each year. Then i gotta get to 26 and i get out of the insurance doghouse.I am just curious...does anyone else think the stats on teenage males in accidents are bs? I see lots of cheerleader type girls around here that are too busy blabbin on the cell phone to drive the car....then it takes out a lightpole and a fence and comes to a stop at the fire hydrant. They also seem to rearend people. And the ones where daddy buys them a super fast car as their first car always ( and i mean every single female in my highschool graduating class that was given a hot car has crashed it in less than a year from getting it.) Maybe there are just horrible female drivers by me?

Guest YellowJacket894

I am just curious...does anyone else think the stats on teenage males in accidents are bs?

Yes. It's bull$h!.Although I think BV may be the main cause of why it's so high... :D

good god! what state are you in?

I'm at $1100 a year for a policy that covers my '04 CTS and '03 Avalanche

180126[/snapback]

I live in Michigan. I pay $900 a for ONLY my Caprice on PLPD. with clean record just one not a fault Accident. my 01 silverado for full coverage was about 2990 a year

Guest YellowJacket894

Yikes, the rate for me on the GTO (no accidents or violations, 18 years old) is $2500 every 6 months. Again, we pay $750 a year for full coverage!

180271[/snapback]

:nono:

Why do those slug-brains at the insurance companies treat us like a bunch of frickin' jerks? They should cut us some slack; it's because of us they have that nice new Audi in the driveway.

I didn't mention this before, but we have MetLife.

One reason it's so cheap is because we have fleet insurance (for 5+ cars), so that helps considerably.

Also, what are your other cars YJ? I'm the "primary driver" on the 1995 Olds LSS, and my dad is the "primary driver" on the GTO. That probably has something to do with it.

Umm. First, I'm in MI. Second, State Farm.

180454[/snapback]

Yeah, yeah NOS, I know you live in MI... :rolleyes::lol:

State Farm?

Have you tried AAA Michigan? When I was comparing rates-they seem to come out

decent....

I was going to stay Allstate, but I've noticed that their rates are going up around

here...and they red zone BAD....

Guest YellowJacket894

Also, what are your other cars YJ? I'm the "primary driver" on the 1995 Olds LSS, and my dad is the "primary driver" on the GTO. That probably has something to do with it.

180450[/snapback]

We own:

-1998 Chevrolet S10 LS 4cyl.

-1999 Dodge Dakota SLT V8

-2004 Chevrolet Impala Base V6

We have liability only on the S10 and it's dirt cheap. My dad is the primary driver on the Dakota and S10, my mom is the primary driver on the Impala. I'm just a -- what's the right term? -- "secondary driver" on all three, although I drive the Dakota more than my old man does.

Edited by YellowJacket894

Me and the wife pay right about 242.00 a month for her Cobalt and my Impala, both cars have full coverage insurance. Her driving record isn't that great, about 3 accidents and one ticket. Mine isn't bad, but it could be a hell of a lot better, one ticket, one at fault accident. OH well, c'est la vie. We can't really complain. I know for the liability insurance on my '76, I pay maybe 35 a month.

I have full coverage on two loaded '06 vehicles with Allstate (one of which has a V8). I lowered it from 240/mo to 140/mo by changing policies with them.

Here is one case where getting older helps!

Edited by Olds Guy

I just ran some insurance quotes over at Allstate and, I have to ask, does this make any sense to you?

*1998 Chevrolet Camaro, V6, Base: $3,150.00

*1998 Pontiac Firebird, V6, Base: $2,760.00

That's right. It's pretty much the same friggen car and the Firebird comes out cheaper on insurance. (And, you know, it never occured to me until just a minute ago to see what a Firebird would cost me on insurance; I thought it would cost around $200 bucks above the Camaro.) Well, folks, looks like I may just be finding a Firebird to drive. That's not a bad insurance rate, really.

180125[/snapback]

The difference is all about numbers. More Camaros were built, wrecked and stolen than it's Pontiac brother...soooo, that's why. In comparison to other vehicles,

pony cars are often driven with more risk, and speed.

Why not get a car thats lighter than those ...and put your own engine in it....

Guest YellowJacket894

The difference is all about numbers. More Camaros were built, wrecked and stolen than it's Pontiac brother...soooo, that's why. In comparison to other vehicles, pony cars are often driven with more risk, and speed.

Makes sense.

I also figured popularity had something to do with it as well. I see more Camaros than Firebirds around here, especially with people of my age set.

Why not get a car thats lighter than those ...and put your own engine in it....

Funds, mainly. I don't have a job just yet, but I know they won't be paying me much over minimum wage. (However, I'll be able to earn a down payment of a solid grand in...about three months time if I try my best not to spend any of the cash. I also know some of this will go to buying gas for the Dakota, which isn't too bad, but up until then I've been making it on twenty bucks per week for doing odd crap around the house...but that's beside the point. I'm just rambling here.) I was hoping to get a classic car (in this state, if you buy a car made before 1981, you aren't required to wear a seatbelt -- I counted that as a benefit), also a Firebird, but it would take a pretty good wad of cash to restore it and I know I won't have much of the green stuff to play around with.