Nice SS Trailblazer Review

G. David Felt

AUTO REVIEW

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer SS

'Big Gulp' on wheels for those who don't mind gas pains

PrintE-mailDisable live quotesRSSDigg itDel.icio.usBy Ron Amadon, MarketWatch

Last Update: 7:15 AM ET Aug 12, 2006

DARNESTOWN, Md. (MarketWatch) -- How you feel about the high-performance Trailblazer SS -- no, make that very high -- all comes down to gas prices. If you're in the camp that feels they're no big deal at current levels, this limited-edition SUV might just ring your chimes.

The SS means that GM's performance guys took control of the project -- and they did a lot more than just shove in a big V8 under the hood.

The first Chevy SUV to wear the SS badge packs a Corvette-derived 6.0-liter, LS2 V8 that bats out 395-horsepower and yields zero to sixty accleration in 5.7 seconds. It's tied to only a four-speed automatic, whereas rivals have smoother five and six speeds.

Yet for power buffs (like us), this one is a hoot with a seat-of-the-pants feeling that it's much faster than the stats say it is. If this really matters, look for about the Trailblazer SS to average 14 to 15 miles per gallon -- if you are good, really good, that is. See slide show.

But GM went further still, cranking a healthy dose of handling into this 4,552-pound vehicle. You actually will have to drive it a while to get some idea of how good the handling is -- far better than would typically be expected from such a vehicle.

Once your confidence is built up, you'll find that the SUV's performance suspension, refined at Germany's famed Nurburgring, is really rather spectacular. It's a far cry the old days when Detroit would simply shoe-horn a hulking V8 into a vehicle and hang the handling.

Inside our test truck, options galore included heated leather seats. We felt that the design of the interior looked a bit dated, but the controls were generally easy to figure out.

It came with $11,770 worth of options, putting the bottom line at a hefty $40,305. Major items included the $5,195 SS package, for which you get the big V8 as well as all-wheel drive, a limited-slip rear axle, performance seats, and nice-looking polished cast aluminum wheels measuring 20 inches and with six spokes.

Again, if a prospective buyer isn't bothered by pain at the pump, then the SS Trailblazer is simply a gas to drive.

Comments? [email protected]

Ron Amadon is an auto writer and morning news anchor on the MarketWatch Radio Network.

Gotta Agree with totally, it really is a sweet ride, just wish you could find a 2WD only model rather than the AWD or 4x4 SS models and get a really fast fun 30K ride. 8) Guess as the dealer said, will have to special order it. They feel everyone wants either 4x4 or AWD. I disagree. My suburban is 2wd with Posi and it is after all my customer work an SS version of what they could have done. plus it handles great off road and at the boat launch. No need for 4x4 or AWD.

I've always thought that the TB SS was a great looking ride and would probably perform great, although I've never test driven one to find out. I'd like to though before they probably get cancelled in favor for some other vehicle to take its place. Good article, I enjoyed the read a lot.

We`ve only had 2 AWD TB SS vehicles. Everything else we`ve had were 2wd. We have 3 2wd SS`s coming in the next month or so. As for the power and handeling, it`s awesome. I like it better than my 93 Typhoon. I hope to lease one when the next batch comes in if the wife will let me!!!

I test drove a AWD SS awhile back. It was pretty decent, it moved right along as lone as it was high up in the power band. The LS2 is deffinatly a revver, not a huge amount of low end torque though.

180678[/snapback]

Wait I saw a LS2 torque curve awhile back at 2000 RPM i thought it hit 300ft-lbs of torque, and never at any point beyond 2000 did it ever drop below 300. That isn't low end torque? What is then?

Wait I saw a LS2 torque curve awhile back at 2000 RPM i thought it hit 300ft-lbs of torque, and never at any point beyond 2000 did it ever drop below 300.  That isn't low end torque?  What is then?

180686[/snapback]

Not sure, just that the motor didn't really seem to wake up until 3k. It still moved along ok down low, just not as hard as one would expect with the LS2 being under the hood. Maybe the 2wd model would be a bigger difference over the awd??