2007 Torrent Centerstack

BlkHhr104

Wow, the whole thing looks like it was lifted out of an Impala.

Parts bin engineering at its worst....................

Wow, the whole thing looks like it was lifted out of an Impala. 

Parts bin engineering at its worst....................

178176[/snapback]

Not even close... the controls are attractively styled. The functions are intuitive. They move with precision and feel of quality. Who cares if they're used in more than one vehicle? They look and feel great.

Definately major improvement.  Even though I hate how Pontiac has a blatant 'Nox clone, I'll admit the Torrent looks good inside and out.

178390[/snapback]

I'de agree that the G5 is a blatant Cobalt clone, but the Torrent has different headlights, tail-lights, some sheetmetal... sure they look similar, but nobody would say they are nearly identical.

But since there is no way of telling how many of the Torrent sales are cannablized from would-be Equinox sales, how can we be sure that, over all, this is good for GM?

As the Equinox goes into its 3rd year without any major changes and Chevy has nothing to combat the Pilot, new Rav4, Acadia, etc., could it not have made more sense to have spent the money from the Torrent development on making the Equinox a better over all vehicle?

I realize most of the guys on this board are American, but if you look at the Chevy numbers for Canada, they show a very different picture: the Sierra outsells the Silverado and the Tahoe numbers (which are probably keeping some U.S. dealers afloat right now) are nowhere near "proportionate." Chevy kicks ass in the States, but in Canada it is just another name.

The P-B-G merger in the States has been a reality here for decades. It boggles my mind that the Acadia and Enclave will be sold in the same dealers, yet Chevy has no 7 passenger vehicle left - other than the gas guzzling Tahoe which is not selling in Canada.

I don't know why the Pontiac dealers got the Torrent in the first place, especially when the P-B-G merger must have been in the works, as were the Enclave and Acadia. They already had the Vibe and Rendezvous - all the while Chevy stores in Canada were losing Oldsmobile.

As we've discussed elsewhere, the Uplander/SV6 are dogs and should be euthanized; however, for us Canucks that is all we have that is selling.

Remember, this is the land where the Smart Car has already sold a few thousand, mostly on our doorstep (Toronto.)

Not that I will get much sympathy for dealers on this board, if GM does not have a healthy Chevrolet dealer network in Canada, it won't be good for the company either. Many GM stores in Toronto are losing money; more still will soon be closing.

GM needs to stop this badge engineering and start spreading models around that make sense in the new P-B-G reality.

I have no illusions about the importance of the Canadian market to American companies. When Texaco went down it was its Canadian subsidiary that was offered up to the Gods of Wallstreet as a sacrifice.

Guest YellowJacket894

That can't be the Canadian cluster. Canadian clusters have KM/H on the outer ring. This one has MPH.

178537[/snapback]

But look at the tire-pressure warning lamp. Isn't that the same as a Canadian-market car?

Maybe it's a factory goof up. Or maybe GM quit making two kinds of lamps for each North American sub-market.

But look at the tire-pressure warning lamp. Isn't that the same as a Canadian-market car?

Maybe it's a factory goof up. Or maybe GM quit making two kinds of lamps for each North American sub-market.

178584[/snapback]

Well, that could be a good thing. Not really a proponent of having English words. Icons look classier, me thinks.

Well, that could be a good thing. Not really a proponent of having English words. Icons look classier, me thinks.

179064[/snapback]

Same here and I would imaging from a cost perspections... a lot of one style might just be cheaper than less of two styles. It also looks cleaner as most of the warning/info are now symbols.

Not to be picky either, but why not use the same font on the radio as the gauges.. Might help to prevent that "drop-in radio" look :banghead:

The trial Torrent looked really nice...

Posted Image

I prefer it to the silver/black stuff.

178575[/snapback]

Umm, yeah, it looks like the fascia surrounding the centre stack is about to come off.

Even if it is a trial surround, they could have taken the time to secure it properly.

Edited by MyerShift

I've seen the '07 Nox in the flesh and GM has greatly updated it. Stablitrak, ABS and trac control, 4 wheel discs and alloy rims are all standard. The gages, radio, window controls and center stack have all been upgraded. The ugly cloth material is still being used but has been darkened to make it look less cheap, I guess.

Over all, the impression is much better even in the lesser models now.