Ipod Connection to be on all GM models!

Clownzilla

This might not be the most important news of the day, but it is very nice to hear. Since this will most likely be a pure digital connection (like the VW and BMW), the sound will be MUCH better than the current AUX jack on SOME GM models. Add the intergrated controls on the radio (again, like the BMW and VW), and I think this will be another one of those "on the fence" options. Given the staggering number of people who own these things, I think this will be a bargaining tool much like XM radio and OnStar. I think this is a good move for GM. Here is a link to the CNN article:

http://money.cnn.com/2006/08/03/technology....reut/index.htm

The iPod car feature will allow drivers to charge the digital music player and store it in a glove compartment as they listen to its songs. It will also allow listeners to use car stereo controls to select music on the iPod device.

GM said it would offer the "personal audio link" at dealerships for less than $160 plus installation as early as October for some car models.

worth every penny.

This effectively makes the iPod the largest available CD changer.

Posted Image

Pic from Autodeadline.com

My opinion is that GM needs to be more universal instead of Ipod specific.  If the Microsoft Zune takes off then they are just sitting dead in the water.

175431[/snapback]

Not really... even in that pic you can still see the input jack on the front of the head unit.

If microsoft wants to be in cars that badly, they'll offer an adapter kit too.

It's really just an adapter that tranlates the CD changer control into an iPod control.

My opinion is that GM needs to be more universal instead of Ipod specific.  If the Microsoft Zune takes off then they are just sitting dead in the water.

175431[/snapback]

They already are universal in offering the auxiliary input on the face of the radio. Having this OPTION is a bonus.

My opinion, Apple > Micro$oft

I have an Pioneer head unit with the iPod adator and I can't see myself going back to cds (even mp3 cds) any time soon. With this feature becoming avaiable in newer cars, I won't have to resort to the aftermarket to get what I want.

Posted Image

Pic from Autodeadline.com

175431[/snapback]

boy, you are out of the loop.

Ipod is like 77% of the market. those who 'ahem' don't have one, that's what the miniplug on the front of the radio is for.

this should been out 2 years ago.

tho....in 2007 its not exactly earth shattering

Edited by regfootball

Not really... even in that pic you can still see the input jack on the front of the head unit.

If microsoft wants to be in cars that badly, they'll offer an adapter kit too.

It's really just an adapter that tranlates the CD changer control into an iPod control.

175434[/snapback]

if it involves microsoft, its not gonna work intuitively or be easy to use. in fact....it probably won't even work at all.

if it involves microsoft, its not gonna work intuitively or be easy to use.  in fact....it probably won't even work at all.

175645[/snapback]

Yeah well, I agree with him. It's just a matter of time when something new comes out with more features and a lower price that will take a chunk out of the iPod's marketshare. Whatever, still a good feature I guess.

if it involves microsoft, its not gonna work intuitively or be easy to use.  in fact....it probably won't even work at all.

175645[/snapback]

Must be why the X-Box never caught on. Oh wait...

Zune won't be the new Ipod because Apple knows how to market it's products better.  The Ipod will continue to be popular if Apple keeps it fresh. 

175688[/snapback]

Careful, that sounds suspiciously like the overly-invincible mindset that GM had a number of years ago. Apple seems to have a good product, and definately good marketing, but in the technology world, it doesn't take too much of a nitch feature or product to take a notable chunk of market. Majority? Maybe not, but then GM is still technically the largest auto company... but compared to what it was...

At any rate, there will probably be adapters for all the major media players. No need to sweat it...

I'm just disappointed they didn't already have this when I bought our HHR. I have my IPod connected almost all the time, but with no battery it becomes useless, especially when I forget to turn it off when not using the car.

boy, you are out of the loop.

Ipod is like 77% of the market.  those who 'ahem' don't have one, that's what the miniplug on the front of the radio is for.

this should been out 2 years ago.

tho....in 2007 its not exactly earth shattering

175643[/snapback]

Ahem, lets get a few things straight. I sell Ipods and MP3 players at my part time job. I am in the trenches I see trends as they happen. I also know the majority of people that buy an Ipod come in saying "I want an Ipod." Those people are a lot like Toyota loyal, they heard good things and want one.

This situation is also VERY similar to Sony and the Play Station systems. They thought they had the market cornered, good product and good marketing. BUT Microsoft came in and bring out the X-box that is almost spec to spec to PS2 BUT had one feature the PS2 didn't, the hard drive. And look at what happened: Despite PS's vastly superior selection of games Xbox carved out a niche for itself and has moved a LOT of units. Enter next gen: Xbox 360 comes out before PS3 and at a lower price point and guess what it lines up almost spec for spec (minus BluRay which won't matter to the end user). BUT it has things that the PS3 doesn't: Xbox Live and a great marketing machine. Given that along with the fact that its easier to develop games for than PS3 and they are carving out a much bigger piece of the pie.

Guess who is in charge of develoing the Zune brand, and it will include multiple models, and heading up the project: the same guy who brought out the Xbox and Xbox 360. Guess who is literally throwing money at the project: MS.

PS we don't really know how easy to use the Zune will be but there is a pic of it.

Posted Image

Also it will have wifi capability, Bluetooth headphones are rumored, upgradable with flash memory and will be able to connect to the Xbox 360, in addition to having a larger screen AND costing roughly the same as a video Ipod. MS is building a strong brand here and they are also recruiting accessory companies to develop an accessory set that is roughly as large or larger than Ipod.

Don't understimate MS, if there is a market they want in then they will get in.

can this be bought for slightly older GM cars and installed at a dealership?  I would love to get this for my '0 malibu SS

175897[/snapback]

Just click here.

this is essentially the same thing.... it's just that GM is going to make the effort to make more models compatible with these... and offer them for sale and installation at the dealership.

It's a *great* add on sale for the dealer.

Ahem, lets get a few things straight.  I sell Ipods and MP3 players at my part time job.  I am in the trenches I see trends as they happen.  I also know the majority of people that buy an Ipod come in saying "I want an Ipod."  Those people are a lot like Toyota loyal, they heard good things and want one. 

This situation is also VERY similar to Sony and the Play Station systems.  They thought they had the market cornered, good product and good marketing.  BUT Microsoft came in and bring out the X-box that is almost spec to spec to PS2 BUT had one feature the PS2 didn't, the hard drive.  And look at what happened:  Despite PS's vastly superior selection of games Xbox carved out a niche for itself and has moved a LOT of units.  Enter next gen:  Xbox 360 comes out before PS3 and at a lower price point and guess what it lines up almost spec for spec (minus BluRay which won't matter to the end user).  BUT it has things that the PS3 doesn't:  Xbox Live and a great marketing machine.  Given that along with the fact that its easier to develop games for than PS3 and they are carving out a much bigger piece of the pie.

Guess who is in charge of develoing the Zune brand, and it will include multiple models, and heading up the project:  the same guy who brought out the Xbox and Xbox 360.  Guess who is literally throwing money at the project: MS.

PS we don't really know how easy to use the Zune will be but there is a pic of it.

Posted Image

Also it will have wifi capability, Bluetooth headphones are rumored, upgradable with flash memory and will be able to connect to the Xbox 360, in addition to having a larger screen AND costing roughly the same as a video Ipod.  MS is building a strong brand here and they are also recruiting accessory companies to develop an accessory set that is roughly as large or larger than Ipod.

Don't understimate MS, if there is a market they want in then they will get in.

175834[/snapback]

MS has never demonstrated the ability to sell anyting cool and hip, much less anything that is easy to use or even works like its supposed to. Apple's future is dependent on retaining the status of their media superior products. Apple is forward thinking and inventive enough that they are probably 2 steps ahead of microsoft with whatever they are developing now.

MS has never demonstrated the ability to sell anyting cool and hip, much less anything that is easy to use or even works like its supposed to.

176569[/snapback]

Yeah that Xbox didn't really catch on at all, oh yeah why did they even bother to come out with the 360 I mean they are only selling them as fast as they can make the? Crazy Mircosoft :duh: .

Video game machines and MP3 players are different. Most consumer electronics aren't always brand loyal. Just because someone buy's an XBOX doesn't mean they're going to not buy an Ipod becuase it's from Apple.

176871[/snapback]

True but I was responding to this

MS has never demonstrated the ability to sell anyting cool and hip

And the success of the Xbox and 360 prove both wrong. And since the same team is doing the launch we can expect the same results. But remember that there ARE some people who will buy a Zune specfically because it CAN link to their Xbox360 and because they enjoy the product.

This system may help seal a few deals for GM. People want their music, and they want it easily accessible. It's a  :censored: when I'm driving and flipping through my Nano's menu. Usually I am at a stop light, but even then, distractions cannot be afforded.

175455[/snapback]

I agree with you 100% in addition to my need to pull out my glasses to read my nano menu.

True but I was responding to this

And the success of the Xbox and 360 prove both wrong.  And since the same team is doing the launch we can expect the same results.  But remember that there ARE some people who will buy a Zune specfically because it CAN link to their Xbox360 and because they enjoy the product.

176872[/snapback]

well, let's hope both the Xbox and Zune can function without crashing.

thing is Microsoft was never a leader or inventor for the mp3 player nor video games. they will always be playing catch up.

Edited by regfootball

well, let's hope both the Xbox and Zune can function without crashing.

thing is Microsoft was never a leader or inventor for the mp3 player nor video games.  they will always be playing catch  up.

177047[/snapback]

You say that as the Xbox 360 is on the verge of replacing the Playstation as the household name in gaming.

As for the first statement, the only company in the gaming industry that has had all but flawless hardware and software has been Nintendo. Both Microsoft and Sony, the current leader, have historically had both hardware and software failures in their consoles.

Microsoft is the leader in marketing and product placement. TRUST me when I say that in 2 years, the only two companies in gaming will be Microsoft and Nintendo. At $600, regardless of how "advanced" the hardware is, the PS3 will be a dead console.

universal indeed! I have an Iriver and if it only has an iPod dock, then no one other than applers will be able to use it.

177529[/snapback]

It'll still have the AUX jack it's had for a couple years, but as an extra option it'll have the iPod dock connector.

I think the fact that the iPod has roughly 77% of the market and 70% of cars sold in the US will have iPod connectivity pretty much $h!s all over Microsoft and every other MP3 player manufacturer.

Yes, capriceman, you are.