Detroit News Bias

RJB

So where's all the news about Toyota's recalls?! Instead the Detroit News reports that the big 3 market share is the worst ever. Why can't Toyota's bad news be on the front page?!! Please post your comments on this. GM is on their biggest turnaround, and are doing this faster than ever but for some reason everyone wants to pile on them-STILL. It seems GM can't do any right in the American medias eyes, yes I know there are some positive reports finally coming out, but the tide has not turned fully yet. Ford on the other hand...sorry guys I can't help you there!

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=AUTO01

to me the answer seems simple. GM is one of the biggest companies in the world and the headquaters is our backyard. toyota on the onther hand is not that big and is not located here. the american news media sees GM as news worthy when it comes to it financial side and toyota is going to take a back seat to that. it sucks but its true.

to me the answer seems simple.  GM is one of the biggest companies in the world and the headquaters is our backyard.  toyota on the onther hand is not that big and is not located here.  the american news media sees GM as news worthy when it comes to it financial side and toyota is going to take a back seat to that.  it sucks but its true.

175343[/snapback]

toyota on the onther hand is not that big :blink: Huh ??? Toyota just outsold Ford in the USA and closing on GM as the Global No.1. Toyota also is the most profitable autocompany not to mention one of the largest company by market value.

Oh drama queens - what do want people to say?

Good job Ford!

Good job GM!

Your both excellent BLUE CHIP companies, producing excellent product people desire and purchase while making boatloads of cash.

Give me a break.

If anything the press has been kind to both companies and has given Ford a free ride as the company continues to implode.

Ford is TEETERING on disaster.

the problem is that the media will report the recall for trunks on their tailgate cables like it will cause the truck to fall apart. but the recall for toyota that really do cause the car to loose control has yet to be reported on!!!!!! if that is stupid and over dramatic then over dramatic am I!!!!! :angry:

I am so sick of people riding toyota about all this crap, yes i hate them too...but it's not their fault GM has been sucking ass. so it's not their failure that can put gm back on top , it is only gm itself that can do that.. and if you beleive toyota's downfall will be GM's ascent to great heights once again you are sorely mistaken.. once the big dogs at GM grow some balls and put out cars that have more appeal for purchase other than that it is American .....so we can be patriotic....keep america strong..thats a load of bull..

i am not looking for yota to screw up so GM can be on top. i am just getting tired of the media not reporting both sides. i agree GM has problems and so does yota I just wish i could here about both sides of the story instead of hearing GMs problems and having to investage yota's

thats all!!!!! it is only fair thats all i want :hissyfit:

i am not looking for yota to screw up so GM can be on top.  i am just getting tired of the media not reporting both sides.  i agree GM has problems and so does yota I just wish i could here about both sides of the story instead of hearing GMs problems and having to investage yota's

thats all!!!!!  it is only fair      thats all i want :hissyfit:

175428[/snapback]

Toyota and Honda completely bucked market trends and sold a ton of cars...the big 2.5 are not only down from '04's numbers (pre-employee discount), but DCX and Ford just recalled over 2 million vehicles collectively (for steering failure and passive fire issues!)

If the Detroit News is 'biased' then I guess its too late for domestics...(that's sarcasm, BTW)

Ford is staring at the precipice....Both it and GM are a Middleast missle away from absolute disaster...why shouldn't THAT story be prominent, rather than another (3/4 in the last 2 months?) Toyota recall article....

If it Bleeds it Leads....that's the news industry guys, whether you like it or not.

i thought this article was mostly straight up reporting. the detnews is especially tough on the domestics and not afraid to hammer them or tip toe around the truth.

sadly this is the truth.

if you look at baseball for instance in pittsburgh or kc io dont think the papers are saying, well, they tried really hard but lost again. lets hear it for almost.

that only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

maybe people will wake up and realize whats going on...

"No one gets to make mistakes now," said Jim Sanfilippo, analyst with AMCI Inc., an industry consultancy in Bloomfield Hills. "Failure is not an option with product launches. It's like NASA."

and

In coming months, GM will trot out three models for Saturn: the Aura midsize car, a hybrid-gasoline version of the VUE crossover and the Outlook, the first of a trio of full-size crossovers. But the new pickups are the most crucial piece of the automaker's product plans this year.

or especially...

funny enough the quote i remember reading earlier is not here.

im fairly certain i read it here. now its gone.

do they edit these things or did i read it somewhere else.

it went along the lines "...the japanese car makers also benefit from a perception of better fuel economy..." i know i read that somewhere and just as im saying maybe they arent so bad. :nono:

basically theres still hope for gm at least.

im gonna look for that line, if i come across it ill add it.

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

if you look at baseball for instance in pittsburgh or kc io dont think the papers are saying, well, they tried really hard but lost again.  lets hear it for almost.

The papers in Pittsburgh, as well as the yinzers who read them, are actually just kinda resigned to the fact that we're going to lose as long as they're owned by the same group of people.

Attendance really is impressive, though.

But I don't wannt drag this one too far off-topic :P

One might... but the DN has been specifically & pointedly anti-Detroit for decades. You can pick up the editorial glee between the lines if you read carefully. To me, it smacks of a desperate (but unconvincing) move to 'prove' objectivity.

175544[/snapback]

What?

For a non-trade publication Detroit News provides the best coverage of the industry in the US.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...416/1148/AUTO01

How exactly is that biased? McCormick is just pointing out the obvious.

And to top it off Dan Howes is by far one of the most knowlegable and balanced auto writers in the business overall and he just happens to write for Detroit News.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...319/1363/AUTO02

At the end he does point out potential kinks in the armour of Nissan and Toyota.

Detroit News is not perfect though they do a very competent job of reporting the industry in a fair and balance way.

Sorry but the Detroit auto industry has some serious systemic problems. It is Detroits auto reporters job to point that out. And it has been like that for over 30+ years. You do not have to be biased to point out the obvious.

Edited by evok

the detroit news is like the jewish mother when it comes to the domestics. nothing will ever be good enough...

" look at toyota. see what theyve done.. would it kill you to make a car that sold 400k a year without incentives?"

"this is plastic? i sit in a camry and it feels like velvet."

and by the way...that line has been completely wiped. it was replaced with "the japanese continue to make inroads" line.... see my above "post" if you dont know what im referring to or if you care. f@#k that.

i still think they do a semi decent job of reporting though. minus a few.

i just widh i knew where their intentions lie. or lay. i never get those right.

TOKYO -- Surging gas prices are sending auto buyers around the world to Toyota.

The Japanese automaker is profiting from its reputation for producing fuel-efficient vehicles. Toyota says profits jumped nearly 40 percent in the past quarter as drivers snatched up the company's low-mileage models.

Sales increased over the world, but saw the biggest boost in North America. Smaller models such as the Corolla and the Prius hybrid have gained popularity with Americans as retail gas prices rise.

In contrast, U.S. automakers have been struggling against a gas-guzzling reputation. Last month, Toyota beat Ford in U.S. vehicle market share for the first time. Some analysts predict Toyota will overtake GM as the world's top automaker in a few years

176069[/snapback]

http://www.wmur.com/automotive/9629180/detail.html

Along with this article, the newscaster went on to tell how Toyota reliabilty has been on the rise, and that was attracting the eye of many granite state buyers.

---------------------------------

Uh huh, so two million plus recalls counts as "on the rise"?

Sorry to diviate off topic a bit