Mitsubishi Sigma

Flybrian

Okay, so I saw a Mitsubishi Sigma today. Can someone enlighten me a bit more about this car?

Again, obviously an 80s product with Sigma badging, looking very much like so...
Posted Image
Posted Image

I'm picking up a bunch of names like Sigma, Eterna, and Diamante in searching for this car.

I would've snapped a picture but for my girlfriend is borrowing my digi. Hopefully, I'll get one tomorrow.

In the '80's, the flagship of the Mitsubishi lineup in the U.S. was the Galant. Then a bigger car, called the Galant Sigma, was placed at the top. That car became just the Sigma, and then was replaced by the Diamante around 1990. Like the Diamante, the Sigma was an entirely forgettable car. It was powered by a V-6.

Mitsubishi Sigma review from the Chicago Tribune:

Jim Mateja
Chicago Tribune
May 13, 1990
Sigma.
What is it?

It`s a four-door luxury sedan that`s as much pleasure to drive as aToyota Cressida, Nissan Maxima or even a Lexus ES250.

Who makes it?

Mitsubishi, the folks that make the Eclipse at Diamond-Star.

Sigma is one of the best kept secrets on the market, not surprisingbecause it started life as a Mitsubishi Galant, the original best kept secret on the market.

Mitsubishi reasoned that if Honda could add Acura, Toyota Lexus andNissan Infiniti, it could have its own luxury product called Sigma. So, allthe bells and whistles were added to the Galant and Sigma was born asMitsubishi`s top-of-the-line model.

Now that you know the background, be advised this is Sigma`s last year on the market. Mitsubishi might keep the name but that`s unlikely when an all-newtop-of-the-line luxury car previews in mid-1991 as a 1992.

The replacement is just being introduced in Japan under the Diamantenameplate.

The 1991 Diamante, or whatever Mitsubishi calls it in the U.S., is larger than Sigma. It`s built on a 107-inch wheelbase and is 186.6 inches long,versus a 102.4-inch wheelbase and 185.6-inch length on Sigma. Diamante isroughly the size of a Honda Accord or Ford Taurus.

The U.S. Diamante will feature a 2.5- or 3-liter, 24-valve V-6 borderingon 200 horsepower. A new luxury sports version of the Galant will come outthis fall called VR-4, which sets the stage for Diamante by offering four-wheel drive, four-wheel steering and four-wheel antilock brakes. The front-wheel-drive Diamante being introduced in Japan offers all those, plustraction control and an air suspension system.

Unlike Acura, Lexus or Infiniti, the new car will be sold throughexisting Mitsubishi stores. Dealers won`t have to plow $3 million into aseparate site that wastes land just to salve the manufacturer`s ego.

We asked Mitsubishi the chances of coming up with a version of theDiamante under the Chrysler name. Based on Iacocca`s tirade against Japaneseimports, the chances of a Chrysler Diamante are remote, we were told.

Back to the `90 Sigma.

It`s powered by a sprightly but quiet 3-liter, 142-h.p., V-6 with 4-speed automatic with overdrive that`s rated at 18 miles per gallon city/22 m.p.g.highway.

The gear lever selector button allows you to engage overdrive when youwant optimum mileage on the open highway. For optimum power, leave the button alone. The two times it came down to a decision to hit the accelerator or the brake, we hit the accelerator to avoid trouble and the V-6 delivered the boostneeded without hesitation.

Had we chosen to hit the brake, Sigma`s four-wheel antilock system wouldassure fast, straight stopping regardless of road conditions.

The suspension system complements the engine performance and takes it astep further. Sigma features air-controlled shocks with self-leveling andautomatic valving as well as anti-lift and an ti-dive geometry to keep thevehicle on an even plane under hard acceleration or braking.

In laymen`s terms, you float on a cushion on the straightaways, but hangtough in the corners and turns without body swing or sway. The power steering is as nimble as that on a Honda Prelude, probably the benchmark for powersteering systems.

There`s plenty of arm, head and leg room front and rear, comfortableseats and a trunk that seems to have been designed by a magician, considering all the stuff you can hide inside.

The only objection is a heavy, prop-held hood.

Base price is $17,879, and you get a lot for the money.

Standard equipment includes driver-side air bag; power brakes andsteering; four-wheel antilock brakes; air conditioning; tinted glass; AM-FMstereo with cassette and controls in the steering wheel; power windows/doorlocks; cruise control; digital quartz clock; rear window defroster;intermittent wipers; color-keyed, dual, power mirrors with lectric defogging;power antenna; color-keyed bumpers; bodyside moldings; 15-inch, steel-beltedradial tires; stainless-steel exhaust; bucket seats with eight-way manualadjustment for the driver; velour upholstery; split fold-down rear seatbackswith pass-through to trunk; remote hood/fuel filler door/trunk openers; andmudguards.

Just think... this was only 15 years ago. My, how unrealistic people's expectations have become in order to receive a "decent" review... let alone one with flying colors.

Looks alot like the Eagle Premiere/Dodge Monaco. Are they the same car as this?

[post="13000"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No, the Premiere/Monaco is the red headed stepchild of the partnership with Renault, they were actually decent cars for their day.

Wow, these past few weeks have been a bit crazy and I've encountered a few weird "Twilight Zone" coincedences. This is another. My girlfriend's Grandmother's next door neighbor has a 1990 Sigma. I've always admired it for its quirky styling and unique looks. Sharp looking cars really. It's FWD and Automatic so I'd never be super-interested in buying it but it is a lot nicer looking than the other two cars in their driveway. ('99 Camry & '05 Stratus)

Just last week they put a for sale sign on it as they do not need it anymore. I thought for $700/OBO with only 120,000 it was a good deal for a 1990 in excellent condition. As the owner of a '84 Maxima you all know I love rare cars that were produced in small numbers and snuck under the radar of the typical car enthuisiast.

I told a friend of a friend about the car and we ended up talking Gram's neighbor down to $400. So now Paul has a car almost as quirky as my Datsun. Here's a front & rear shot.

Posted Image

I'm just saying it looks unique. I love designs that stand out and yet blend in at the same time. The Olds Achieva ended up wiht a few styling cues from this car. looks a million times better than the Camry or Maxima from this era. The Accord was still a decent looking car but this was more original.

Much of Mitsubishi's pre-1990's history seems to be half-forgotten, like something from childhood. And, of course, it doesn't help that Mitsubishis were never sold here in Canada (at least, not under the "Mitsubishi" nameplate) until a couple years ago. I have to admit, I have a soft spot for weird 1980's cars. The boxy yet space-age styling, the primitive computer technology (digital gauges, anyone?), the cheezy interiors. You can just tell by looking at them that they're from the age when Sci-Fi was king. There aren't many of these cars left in good shape nowadays, so it makes me smile whenever I see a 300ZX (the boxy, pre-'90's ones) or even a Buick Reatta. But, aside from the odd Eagle (I once saw a Galant-clone Eagle with the VR-4 powerplant), I have little hope of seeing any Mitsubishi cars from that era. So it's nice to see pictures of cars like the Sigma and the Starion and the original Galant. It's nice to see where a company comes from, even if that company is on the verge of dissapearing.

I love Starions. I came real close to buying one but ended up going with the Pontiac since I was not thrilled about a car with 95,000 miles that needed a new turbo. Still it was a very cool vehicle.

Posted Image

Just think... this was only 15 years ago. My, how unrealistic people's expectations have become in order to receive a "decent" review... let alone one with flying colors.

[post="12896"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Wait...are you saying every car shouldn't be everything to everyone? :o

No every car must be the BMW 5-series

[post="18030"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Haha, I've always thought that car rags had developed "3-series syndrome," the disease where they reviewed every car as if it were a direct competetor with the little Bimmer. The 5 works too, perhaps better, since they always bitch about lack of space.