Record heat

the_yellow_dart

yea it reached a 115(!!) here last week and we have wildfires burning and just a week ago we sat our record energy consumption the same time it got that hott from all the AC's.

Toronto just hit a record high for energy consumption. Great. Hope we don't have any brownouts/blackouts. Can't blame people for using the A/C like crazy though:

36C (97F). Feels like 46C (115F).  :(

174421[/snapback]

Well, crap.

Chas and I were thinking about taking an extended weekend there in 2-3 weeks

I hope cools down a bit.

Global warming? What global warming?

This heat is crazy, My A/C has been working overtime.

We hit an all-time record of 26,712 megawatts at 1 p.m. . . . Last year we peaked at 25,000 megawatts. . . and we expect tomorrow to hit 27,000 Megawatts.

Yeah, right now we have energy "blackouts" in a few towns in the area... Hopefully all gets better soon. Tomorrow's supposed to be bad, too, but only marginally better than today. Then we're getting a cool down. :)

174475[/snapback]

Some of you might think I'm crazy for this, but maybe if we tear down all the old crap on the East Coast and build more efficent buildings you wouldn't be having that problem.

Go with me for a minute on this. Our 3 year, 1600 sqare foot home cost $75 in electricity last month to keep cool with record high temps for Oregon (104 degrees on one of the days). We couldn't keep our old 1000 sq ft heated in the winter months for less than $100 a month even without record lows. I couldn't even start to imagine had we had AC in our old apartment what the cost would be. Our home uses gas for heat and so far our worst bill has been $70 when we had the super cold spells this last winter.

Imagine if we tore down all the old buildings back east, as the west coast is known for already tearing them down and starting over, we could cut our overall energy consumption in 1/2.

Still, Brookville is a historic district... take that away and there'd be no reason to visit. :lol::D

174921[/snapback]

Well, sorry to break the news but... uhh.. there's no damn reason to visit Brookville.

Sorry, but someone had to. :P

There is alot of new housing in the NEast, many older houses are going but there is too much here to just destroy it. There is also energy/environmental concern in doing so as well. Many NEasterners dont have residential AC anyhow though that is changing with the hot summers. Heat waves around here used to be high 80's low 90's and only an occasional summer, now we have had two brutal summers. I remember the summer of 75 I was in Boston. It hit 92 and we said "WEW!" Than it went up to 94, 96, 98 and if I remember correctly it peaked at 106. But that was Boston, here at home they only had high 80's low 90's. The college I was at did not have AC in the dorms, we survived but it was intense and we were young and having the time of our lives.

At least here in the NEast we still have alot of shade in old residential areas. I cant speak for the NWest but any photos of the SWest I see are nothing but rooftops and buildings as far as the eye can see. Citys are nothing but big huge passive solar heat sinks, for the life of me I cant figure out why all these rooftops are not covered with solar cells, hell they just sit there bakeing in the sun.............all for nothing. I guess prioritys are a bit out of touch............or does our government have its hands in the oil industry ? Naw thats not it.

Well we are on the right track if we want to keep setting new record high energy usage. Just keep that old population skyrocketing upward............yea thats it.............thats the answer. Come one, come all, welcome to the land of the free.....................ride!

Yes there is. Go to Brookville and take his Millenia away, so that he quits whining how he has to put premium gas in it. :P

175143[/snapback]

Yeah, but that would make him run out. Not because of his Millenia, but because he wants to get sexual with any guy that gets within 2 miles of him. :lol::P

Hmm... NOS is just jealous because my ass looks better than his. As for Toni, well I can't help that my Millenia will out run his G6. Blame Pontiac. :D:P

Anywho... my balls are sweaty... yet again.

175215[/snapback]

200hp and yet I still get better mileage than you, and no premium gas needed. :P

:pokeowned:

Edited by ToniCipriani

Hmm... NOS is just jealous because my ass looks better than his.

175215[/snapback]

Sorry, but I've got ya beat.. both physically and our cars.

And you can't compare a current GM vehicle to a 40 year old Mazda. Just.. no. :P

Yesterday was awful. I walked around D.C. for about 7 hours, and spent only about 2 inside at the Air and Space Museum. Of course, this wasn't for me-I've basically seen all D.C. has to offer, including the crime. My sister and her fiance is up here from Charleston, so all the sight-seeing is for them. And they even complained about the heat. Thank God for air conditioning.

Temps from yesterday:

heat index: 110-a new record.

w/out heat index: 104-almost a new record.