My review of World Trade Center

the_yellow_dart

I was walking down the street with a friend of mine in Toronto and this woman approached us and gave us some free passes for an advanced screening of "World Trade Center". I wasn't too keen on seeing this movie, as I was kind of worried that it would be more flag-waving sappy drivel like "Pearl Harbor" (the movie). Since my friend wanted to go, and we didn't have anything better to do, I let her convince me.

I missed the very beginning (probably about 5 minutes), so I didn't get to see how they treated the actual event. However, this movie was not what I expected. This was much more a personal story about three people and how them and their families were affected that day. Two were Port Authority cops, trapped underneath the rubble in the lower levels of the tower when they collapsed. One is an ex-Marine, who suits up and goes to Ground Zero when the disaster happens. All three are completely based on real people.

This is a human story moreso than a historical, political, or war movie. Nicolas Cage did an EXCELLENT job with the character - I didn't realize it was him for about 15 minutes, partly because of the mustache, but mostly because his accent hid his voice so well. I'm no New Yorker, but I thought the accent was pretty authentic.

The whole movie really leaves you pondering the fragility of life, and both the evil and good that we are all capable of. It was actually quite a good movie.

Me and the wife want to go see it when it comes out. I really didn't like Pearl Harbor, the movie, to me it was 3 hours of love story, 45 minutes of good action right at the end that you had to wait for.....bleh. I really liked We Were Soldiers, that was a really good and really accurate movie, although it was based on the Vietnam War, and not September 11th, so there's definitely some time difference between the two events.

We need this movie and more flag waving movies. It seems everyone thinks this country of freedom came cheap and free of sweat and blood. This maincured land of gardens, parks, concrete, blacktop, brick and finely finished rich American hardwoods came by some cute little fella in a three piece waving his majic wand.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! Thats not how we got here ! Took alot more than an airline ticket or a bus across the border to be an American. It took duty and honor, all lost in todays "bleeding heart" socioty that knows nothing at all about bleeding.

We need this movie and more flag waving movies. It seems everyone thinks this country of freedom came cheap and free of sweat and blood. This maincured land of gardens, parks, concrete, blacktop, brick and finely finished rich American hardwoods came by some cute little fella in a three piece waving his majic wand.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! Thats not how we got here ! Took alot more than an airline ticket or a bus across the border to be an American. It took duty and honor, all lost in todays "bleeding heart" socioty that knows nothing at all about bleeding.

175049[/snapback]

Our forefathers fought for our rights and now Americans simply sit back and let those right be stolen by folks who hide behind waving flags. The flag waving politicians are nothing more than snake-oil salesman stealing your rights and tax dollars.

We need to take back our country and restore our personal freedoms. We need to get rid of the "un"Patriot Act.

yah im not keen on going to see it . . . my father was on a plane that day and we didnt get to hear from him till 8 hrs after the event . . . bad day . . . i learned 3 days later i lost a friend and a cousin.

it sounds like a great movie but really not wanting to be reminded of too much . . . its good to remember but to me dwelling and reliving is not great

pain builds character and stature. when pain is absent we become complacent and drop our guard, start feeling sorry for the lost souls of the world that dont have the spine to take care of their own affairs, next thing you know they are controling our affairs. Its been so long now we forget pre 9-11 but look at what that affair cost our country both in tax dollars and economic stability, in reality it was a very successful mission, we now have serious debt, wide political spred, insane product inflation, and the oil industry is saying "jump" and we all "Jump". Its more than obvious whats going on but we're all too weary from work, life and the whole mess its all become to do a damn thing about it so the machine grinds forward unchallenged

Yep, 230 years and nothings changed its just gotten crazier. Nother day same old $h!..........compounded

pain builds character and stature. when pain is absent we become complacent and drop our guard, start feeling sorry for the lost souls of the world that dont have the spine to take care of their own affairs, next thing you know they are controling our affairs. Its been so long now we forget pre 9-11 but look at what that affair cost our country both in tax dollars and economic stability, in reality it was a very successful mission, we now have serious debt, wide political spred, insane product inflation, and the oil industry is saying "jump" and we all "Jump". Its more than obvious whats going on but we're all too weary from work, life and the whole mess its all become to do a damn thing about it so the machine grinds forward unchallenged

Yep, 230 years and nothings changed its just gotten crazier. Nother day same old $h!..........compounded

175155[/snapback]

I hate to say it, but this post is spot on. :angry:

This sentance really sums it up:

"Its more than obvious whats going on but we're all too weary from work, life and the whole mess its all become to do a damn thing about it so the machine grinds forward unchallenged"

"I hate to say it"

Geeze Camino, Im not the devil......................just his son......... =};-)

Thanks for the thumbs up though, I appreaciate it.

175168[/snapback]

:lol: No reflection on you,Razor. I just hated to admit that such an ugly truth was ,in fact, the truth.

Sad that we're all too busy surviving to change things for the better.

Part of me wants to see it, and part of me doesn't know if I can just yet. I know it's been almost 5 years, but the wounds are still fresh. None of my friends will go see it with me... I think I'm the least affected out of all of them... I was just on the receiving ends of the frantic calls. They were more involved than I am.

I just remember a few things vividly... not knowing where anyone was, and who was safe, not feeling safe that night when it was dark out, and worst of all, the smell the next day when the winds shifted.

It was the sheer eeriness of everything that really got to me.. desolate streets, no cars going westbound on the LIE, the silence, the pain, the sobbing. It almost seemed like even animal life stopped making sounds that day--I don't recall any sounds of nature, like birds or dogs.

I don't know why I still expect to see them there when I look at the skyline when I'm driving out west.

The wife and I want to see it. Living in NJ and working not too far from NYC that day I was emotionally impacted by this tragic event (I was teaching in a high school not too far from NYC; several of the students and teachers had family members working in the WTC). I have to agree that 9/11 was a day that the earth stood still for me - it's a day I will never, ever forget and by keeping the memeories of that day fresh, however painful they are, will allow me to never forget. I will say that I did not see "Flight 93" b/c I was sure that seeing it would anger me and I'd prefer not to have those feelings (again). But "World Trade Center" is about the last positive event that ocurred at Ground Zero - the rescue of the last two survivors.

Here in Albany we have one building that was designed somehow that it appears from certain angles in the skyline to be the Twin Towers, not sure if this was on purpose or not. Anyhow is seems impossible to look at them now and not replay that footage we all saw on TV. I am not the only person that has felt or said that either. Its a damn shame. Albany is a small skyline but beautiful looking from the east side of the Hudson on I90.

I didn't go see Flight 93 for the same reason. I don't want to get that angry again. I remember when it happened, I was in my dorm room, getting ready for an Economics class when the first plane hit. At that point, I didn't even go to class, I kept watching the TV when the tears started falling. Next thing that happened is I sprinted to my Detatchment building (I was USAFROTC at the time), and caught it all with the rest of my Detatchment. After that, we all went and gave blood and got ready to head out. It was then that I got to be deployed to Seymour Johnson AFB and help marshall F-15s on Operation Noble Eagle (the aircraft patrols set up along the US coastline to keep extra things like this from happening).

I'll see it so I can judge it for myself.

Band of Brothers was a 10-part DVD mini-series, based on the real stories from dozens of WWII vets. It's a very good show.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0185906/

174655[/snapback]

Never seen the whole thing, the parts I saw

were awsome and kept me interested.

Guest YellowJacket894

I think Hollywood should have waited...maybe twenty, thirty years for anything related to Nine-Eleven to even breech onto television screens with previews, etc.

Just proof that there is nothing left to make into a movie. And stuff that is there, we'd rather not see.