Hot Sellers

HarleyEarl

Some older models are suddenly hot sellers

Chevy Impala, Pontiac G6, PT Cruiser, Saturn Ion are mong those seeing big gains

An analysis of new car and truck sales at the halfway point in the model year confirms some now long-familiar trends -- but also reveals some surprising developments.

The rush to smaller cars -- fueled in part by high gasoline prices -- is not only moving new compacts off the sales floor, but also more familiar cars that have been around a while.

The Chrysler PT Cruiser had a 7 percent sales increase during the first six months of 2006 compared with 2005, according to J.D. Powers and Associates sales reports. Sales of the retro-styled car jumped 25 percent in June over the same month last year.

At General Motors, Saturn Ion sales jumped 16.5 percent from 10,043 in June 2005 to 11,704 last month. Sales of the Ion were up 3.5 percent for the six-month period when compared with 2005. Ford's Focus also enjoyed a small increase of 1.5 percent for last month over June 2005, but sales for the six-month period were down by 2.2 percent, the J.D. Powers report said.

Secondly, most analysts agreed that while June was a generally bad month for domestic automakers, there were some strong-selling models that were overshadowed by the overall sluggish sales.

General Motors, for instance, suffered a 26 percent decline last month, in part because June 2005 sales had been increased dramatically by heavy discounting.

But some GM models racked up big sales increases. Pontiac's G6 had a 39.9 percent sales increase in the six-month period and for June alone had a 43.8 percent increase. Some of that may be due to the presence of a new coupe and convertible version, but the car itself is gaining "traction" in the marketplace, analysts say.

Chevy Impala sales are skyrocketing, too. The make's sales were up 16.9 percent in the six-month period, and for June there was an 85.3 percent sales increase over June 2005. The HHR, Buick Lucerne and Pontiac Torrent, all new for 2006, also are big sellers at GM.

Ford Motor Co., which for the last few years has emphasized a comeback of its sedan models, is enjoying success with its critically acclaimed all-new Ford Fusion, Lincoln Zephyr and Mercury Milan, which sold a combined total of 10,149 units last month. Milan in particular helped Mercury to a 2 percent sales increase last month over June 2005. Still, overall sales slipped 6.8 percent at Ford compared to June 2005.

Meanwhile, the Chrysler Group of Daimler/Chrysler is selling its hot Dodge Caliber compacts at a brisk pace -- 12,098 units -- helping that car to take a 6 percent share of its market segment. The Charger enjoyed a 123 percent increase in sales last month over June 2005.

All of the top selling models are either new this year or were redesigned during the last model year. That would suggest when the remaining older models are phased out, the newer designs may result in much better sales for those three companies.

Meanwhile, fuel efficient small cars are still hot in the industry as a whole. The entry-level compact car segment is up 8.5 percent for the first six months of 2006 compared with the same period in 2005. They now account for 25.98 percent of all sales, compared with a 23.37 percent market share a year ago.

Hyundai's all-new Accent posted a 43 percent gain over June 2005 sales and there are waiting lists in some parts of the country for both Honda's Fit and its Civic. Civic Hybrid sales alone posted a new record with 2,501 sold last month -- a 40 percent increase over last year.

Among other small cars, Kia sold about a third more of its Spectra sedans than it did in June 2005, and Volkswagen's New Beetle, another familiar face on the sales floor, saw its sales jump by about 4 percent during the six month period just ended.

On the other hand, the degree to which the sales of some parts of the SUV market have dropped is stunning. Full-size SUVs are down 19.3 percent for the first six months of this year compared with 2005, and mid-size SUVs are down 8.3 percent for the same period. Only entry-level SUV sales and luxury premium SUVs are up in the six-month period -- by 6.1 and 16.7 percent, respectively -- compared with 2005.

Even Toyota -- arguably the most successful auto company in the world -- could not escape the plummeting sales prospects for SUVs. Its Land Cruiser sales dropped 35.3 percent for the first six months of the year, while Highlander sales dropped by 12.9 percent for the same period. Toyota Sequoia sales dropped 30.1 percent year to date compared with the same period last year.

Acura's MDX is off 17.1 percent for January to June sales, too. Chevy's Equinox dropped 36.6 percent and Jeep Liberty dropped 15.5 percent. Ford Expedition sales dropped 45.8 percent in June compared with June 2005 and are off 33.1 percent for the year-to-date period.

(detroitnews)

Edited by HarleyEarl

So true. The Torrent is a very good looking SUV. The Equinox design seems confusing to the eye.

And I'm so surprised about the Ion having this sales strength. While it's not a bad car to drive, it seems so dated and well, not pleasing designwise. I guess congratulations are in order.

Edited by HarleyEarl

So true.  The Torrent is a very good looking SUV.   The Equinox design seems confusing to the eye.

And I'm so surprised about the Ion having this sales strength.  While it's not a bad car to drive, it seems so dated and well, not pleasing designwise.  I guess congratulations are in order.

172931[/snapback]

I really like the Ion, aside from the cheese interior. Except I test drove one again recetly, the 2.4 sedan with manual and 'enhanced performance package'- 17's and 'sport suspension'...right. Its still a flopper in turns. Doesn't ANYONE build a cheap car with roll stiffness these days? The redline i drove a couple years ago had it but doesn't come in a 4 door. GM Idiots. Only make the performance available in the 2 doors, which is like what, 10% of your sales? Morons.

but the ion is an inexpensive and practical car. And its real world mpg is 35+ i hear.

Ford is even bigger morons. They should be pushing the Focus big time. The Focus' problem has always been pricing. If Ford would market that car right they could sell more of them.

Edited by regfootball

I was just helping a friend car shop and we looked at the VUE, Torrent, and Equinox and the Torrent is worlds better looking than the other two inside and out. She loved it and decided to move on it until I sold her on the G6 Convertible.

As for some of those other numbers well I will wait to hear if GM increased fleet sales again like they did last month. You have to watch for their tricks.

ION's have always been pretty popular-ditto Impala, PT Cruiser, G6 too. I've seen at least a couple Fit's in person, Lucerne's are very popular, HHR and Torrent so-so, but Equinox's are far more common sights.

TRANSLATION of the article:

1 ) The media tried to kill the G6 because it knew how much potential the car really had, and saw this as an opportunity to try and kill Pontiacs big seller, thus ridding us of another one of those "redneck" American brands. And, oh yeah, BTW, I was right when I said the G6 had tremendous potential.

2 ) GM should've either put MORE money into the Torrent or saved the changes for the Equinox... I'm not sure why it isn't selling better, unless it IS in fact being overshadowed by the much nicer Torrent.

3 ) The Impala is hot.... Always has been.

4 ) The Lucerne has cemented itself as a hit.

5 ) Maybe Saturn SHOULDN'T be Ion-less for a prolonged period of time... As rumored. And maybe GM SHOULD step up their small car program even more. (Where in the hell is the Aveo?!?!?!? The 5-door too?!?!?!? And it's marketing?!?!?!?)

6 ) The PT Cruiser is NOT a fad, like many would like to claim.

7 ) The Caliber is a certified hit... Which would *ALSO* explain why it got bad reviews.... Same with the HHR, which the media tried to kill right out of the gate)

8 ) Ford did and is doing an excellent job proving that if American car makers build a desireable car, americans will buy it, regardless of the ignorant media.

9 ) Ford NEEDS the new Focus and smaller cars such as the Aveo... No better time to cash in but now.

10 ) Toyota's SUVs suck too.... It's not just the Detroit models. And guess what, they're gearing up to build more!!!

And finally, looks like Honda gambled well again... What a surprise, they're asian and can do no wrong.

(FOG takes a bow)

TRANSLATION of the article:

1 ) The media tried to kill the G6 because it knew how much potential the car really had, and saw this as an opportunity to try and kill Pontiacs big seller, thus ridding us of another one of those "redneck" American brands. And, oh yeah, BTW, I was right when I said the G6 had tremendous potential.

2 ) GM should've either put MORE money into the Torrent or saved the changes for the Equinox... I'm not sure why it isn't selling better, unless it IS in fact being overshadowed by the much nicer Torrent.

3 ) The Impala is hot.... Always has been.

4 ) The Lucerne has cemented itself as a hit.

5 ) Maybe Saturn SHOULDN'T be Ion-less for a prolonged period of time... As rumored. And maybe GM SHOULD step up their small car program even more. (Where in the hell is the Aveo?!?!?!? The 5-door too?!?!?!? And it's marketing?!?!?!?)

6 ) The PT Cruiser is NOT a fad, like many would like to claim.

7 ) The Caliber is a certified hit... Which would *ALSO* explain why it got bad reviews.... Same with the HHR, which the media tried to kill right out of the gate)

8 ) Ford did  and is doing an excellent job proving that if American car makers build a desireable car, americans will buy it, regardless of the ignorant media.

9 ) Ford NEEDS the new Focus and smaller cars such as the Aveo... No better time to cash in but now.

10 ) Toyota's SUVs suck too.... It's not just the Detroit models. And guess what, they're gearing up to build more!!! 

And finally, looks like Honda gambled well again... What a surprise, they're asian and can do no wrong.

(FOG takes a bow)

173546[/snapback]

re: Honda....go to autoweek.com and read the test update of the 07 Avalanche. there are some TREMENDOUS jabs at the 9 mpg, can't tow over 55 mph ridgeline.

The impala has "always" been hot? Not. At least not since the last major design change when they introduced those 4 huge round tail lights. Fugly.

The current design is actually attractive and I'm sure is one of the reasons for the sales bump (plus the move back from SUV's to autos.)

Go GM!

I think the Ion has picked up some sales because of all the attention suddenly on the Saturn brand. The Sky is acting as somewhat of a halo-car and is probably helping shift some Ions.

And regarding the Impala, it's amazing what a nice interior and a smoothed-out look can do..

Some needed good news for the big 2.5. My suspicions on the Charger have been correct. I have seen a lot of Chargers recently in my neck of the woods and most of them have had big flashy non stock rims on them even before their new plates have been added. I was thinking that the Charger was suddenly doing a lot better then before and the looks have grown on me. However, I would still get a GTO, a used C5 Z06 Vette or used CTS-V or (blasphemy) Mustang GT before I pulled the trigger on the Charger.

When was Torrent introduced?

Could the big Torrent "gain" be because there weren't alot out there a year ago?

173872[/snapback]

Or, maybe it actually DOES fix all of the little problems with Equinoxes. I know Torrents outnumber Equinoxes here in Indy, and Equinoxes were very popular a year or two ago.

Or, maybe it actually DOES fix all of the little problems with Equinoxes.  I know Torrents outnumber Equinoxes here in Indy, and Equinoxes were very popular a year or two ago.

173885[/snapback]

I NEVER see a Torrent around here.

In fact, amazingly enough, I don't even see any Torrents with rental-bar codes.

The last time I saw a Torrent was when I was in Minneapolis for work two weeks ago.

Two words:

Fleet Sales

(rumored to be running at a 30% clip the last few months. And before the first wiseguy says that fleet sales are down 50-60k units this year (I read Automotive News too)- Note that sales totals are down 7% overall at the General this year...that's 70k per 1 million sold, as a nice even round number...not good)

can someone explain to me why fleet sales are so bad. it seems like it would allow the brand to get out and be seen. people will see it and drive it and want to buy it. i have had numerous customers get put in a rental then come back and buy the same car from my dealership!!!?

i just dont understand why it so bad. :blink:

for all the hyundais and toyotas at the hertz i drive by every day you'd swear then that they are both in the toilet.

174347[/snapback]

I'm sure each rental market probably differs some....

.....but at one time last year, Turbo200 put up some statistics on what cars sold in what percentages to fleet/rental.

The (old) Impala was up at 62% fleet.....Camry, I believe was around 25% fleet.....and Taurus was like 75% fleet.

Of course the PT wasn't a fad, I mean, how could a mere fad last 6 model years?

Great news for the G6. Technically, when I get a different car (used of course..for now) the G6 will be on the list. I just wish it had a manual shift across the board.

The IONs that have received the updating and refreshing are much more pleasing to the eye than the ones that came before. The new black-tie radios sure look good in GM's American brands.