Pics from NJ Cruise Night (7-26-06)

avant1963

Went to a local cruise night here in Spotswood, NJ and have some pics to share.

First pics of the Best In Show winner. To many, this car may look familiar.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yes, that's my 1963 Studebaker Avanti. I didn't expect to get Best In Show, but I'll certainly take it!

Now on to other cars there.

There were two other Studes at the show, both Gran Turismo Hawks. This one is a 1964. They were as ahead of their time as the Avanti was.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I love the GT Hawks- A gold '63 was very nearly my first car. That occasion was when I first discovered the phenomina that pschycologists call "The Studebaker Effect".

Walt, not dissing, just curious: how did you come to choose those wheels and what's you opinion on the factory Avanti wheelcovers?

Next time this show is happening, post notice- I'd like to swing thru.

I didn't realize you were near... The next one at Spotswood High School is Wednesday, August 23.

Those are 1963 Cragars that were on the car when I bought it 10 years ago. When I had the car completely redone and painted I had the wheels painted the correct Stude color (they were painted white already). I have the wheelcovers (If you check the shot in the backseat, I have one of them on the seat, just to show that I have them). I used to have them over these wheels, but they kept popping off (lost one in the woods off Rt 9 one day and never found it) but since these are 63 Cragars and I think the car looks good with them, I never bought steelies to put the wheelcovers on. I like the wheelcovers, but also like the Cragars.

I may be the closest C&Ger to you (No Bruns)....

172236[/snapback]

North Brunswick, huh! For two years (2000-2002) I taught at New Brunswick H.S. Of course I live no where near you or Walt (much further south in Burlington County). Ever been to the Fossil Car Club Cruise Night at the Jackson Premium Outlets in Jackson, NJ? Awesome show, especially in July & August. They take place the last Friday of each month duringt eh evening hours - tomorrow night (28th) for July, August 25th & September 29th are the last two for 2006. And since I actually remembered this time, I think I'll head over tomorrow night!

Walt - congrats on the award. I took the SKY to the dealership last Friday and one of the sales guys told me his SKY owner has taken her triple black SKY to two car shows/cruise nights already and has taken awards. He said I should do the same, but I think I'd feel bad taking an award away from a classic car. Btw, you can never post enough pics of your Avanti!!

The Fonz was the real deal. I read in a passing mention that he owned 47 '49-51 Mercs; damned if I know where a single one got to. He moved to VA for his last few years and passed in '99 at only 61. I wouldn't be surprised if it was cancer from smoking & sanding bondo without a mask for 45 or so years. He built very rough but totally cool sleds.

GMTG- I'm not originally from the NB area (Hopewell), but I've lived here about 13 years. I've heard about the Fossils show- checked out their website but haven't made it there yet. I'm writing down the dates &'ll make an effort.