Can you eat with chopsticks?

Satty

Can you eat with chopsticks without embarassing yourself?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Can you eat with chopsticks without embarassing yourself?

• Yes
    • No

My best friend and girlfriend are both Chinese. I've eaten at so many authentic restaurants that don't have forks, and my friend's house so many times that I pretty much had to learn. That and the two weeks I spent in China. I can use them almost as well as most asians. I even have a set at home, and use them depending on what food I make.

No, not unless the people across from me or next to me don't mind wearing what I'm eating.

why do you think asians are so much skinnier than americans. It takes longer to eat food with chop sticks than a fork or spoon.

I love using chop sticks and actually if it's noodles or anything asian related I can't use a fork. I've probably been using them since first grade because my best friends growing up where chinese.

Hell no. Do we ask Asians how well THEY do at eating with spoons and forks?

Why do we try to imitate cultures we are not when we are NOT on their soil. When in Rome, do as the Romans do...but on our turf, why bother?

I can but I prefer not to unless we're at the Japanese Steak House.

Asian cars: ehhh... not so great.

Asian food: Pretty effin awsome! (esp. sushi)

Asian food: Pretty effin awsome! (esp. sushi)

171786[/snapback]

I can only stand mild food. That being said, I like (cooked) Japanese food and Chinese food of the Cantonese variety (moving away toward Mandarin and Szechwan (sp) doesn't work for me). And I like it with a knife, fork and spoon.

I must be one of the few people I know that will NOT go near Thai and Vietnamese food. Even with zero stars is too spicy for me. I don't like to sit there and go back to work with my nose running.

I've tried a couple of times, and once at a Chinese restaurant in Harrisburg, PA w/my cousins, aunt, and uncle. Our waiters looked at me fumbling with the chopsticks w/these "you are incredibly stupid" looks on their faces. I had a nasty suspicion that they were talking about me in Chinese as they walked away.

I had a nasty suspicion that they were talking about me in Chinese as they walked away.

171912[/snapback]

They probably were...as they gladly relieved your family of a few greenbacks.

I can pretty well. I'm fine at rice too, but I have problems with plastic chopsticks and fried greasy dim sum...the plastic offers no texture to grip, and the grease just lubricates it. Gimbaap, sushi, bulgolgi, pad thai, most dim sum and all rice and veggie dishes? No problem.

What for................I come from an advanced culture that eats sitting in chairs pulled up to a table with advanced tools of the trade...............even though this is centurys old technology Im still OK with it..................when I want to regress to the ways of the ancients I do just fine with my fingers....................then I lick them before wiping my hands on my blue jeans. . . . . . :stupid:

My Grandma used similar devices to make articles of clothing..........somehow I never got the urge to try to ingest food with them.

Most of you who don't see the need for chopsticks have probably never eaten true Asian food. It's pretty hard to eat udon soup or sushi with a fork or spoon.

Sometimes the Chinese homemade stir fry I've had has included peanuts. That would also be pretty difficult to eat with a fork. You could use a spoon I suppose, but then it would be awkward to eat everything else in the stir fry...

To me, you choose the right tool for the job. I'm not trying to be asian when I eat with chopsticks. I just think they work better for some foods. Forks, spoons and knives work better for most foods I eat though.

Whats really embarassing is when we go out to eat at an Asian restaurant of any sort and my girlfriend asks for chopsticks for herself then looks at me and says I'll probably need cheater chopsticks, the ones with rubber bands.

Edited by Satty

I eat sushi with my fingers and I don't mix my wasabi into my soy sauce, I cut a snippet off with my fork and eat it straight, little by little. If I'm paying for it, I'll eat it the way I want.

I eat sushi with my fingers and I don't mix my wasabi into my soy sauce, I cut a snippet off with my fork and eat it straight, little by little.  If I'm paying for it, I'll eat it the way I want.

172309[/snapback]

I was told by someone from Japan that sushi is fingerfood, and you are supposed to treat it that way (a lot of Japanese restaurants here forget that it's also supposed to be one bite). You use the chopsticks to serve yourself the sushi from the communal plate, but you take your portion using the side that does not touch you lips. Sashimi, obviously, is eaten with Hashi (chopsticks). Most Americans make the mistake with rice of trying to get it from the bowl on the table to their lips. It's perfectly acceptable to pick up the bowl and scoop the rice to your lips with the Hashi. Same with noodles.

You wouldn't happen to weigh 500 pounds and frequent Las Vegas Buffets would you?

(I remember going to one and some fat kid was crying because he didn't want to eat his salad. Apparently, fat people count shrimp cocktails as "salad" now :blink: )

Never tried it. The good old fashioned knife,spoon,and fork have worked very well for me since the age of 2. Lets try a real challenge. Eat with toothpicks.

I was told by someone from Japan that sushi is fingerfood, and you are supposed to treat it that way (a lot of Japanese restaurants here forget that it's also supposed to be one bite).  You use the chopsticks to serve yourself the sushi from the communal plate, but you take your portion using the side that does not touch you lips.  Sashimi, obviously, is eaten with Hashi (chopsticks).  Most Americans make the mistake with rice of trying to get it from the bowl on the table to their lips.  It's perfectly acceptable to pick up the bowl and scoop the rice to your lips with the Hashi.  Same with noodles.

172627[/snapback]

McDonalds in Japan have little paper sleeves so you don't have to touch your burger. Eating with your hands is considered DISGUSTING in Japan. There is no such thing as Japanese finger food.

tmp, I also heard that about sushi after I apologized to someone for eating it with my fingers because the fork destroyed it.

Learning new things is good, no doubt, but eating with chopsticks just isn't something I'm interested in.

McDonalds in Japan have little paper sleeves so you don't have to touch your burger. Eating with your hands is considered DISGUSTING in Japan. There is no such thing as Japanese finger food.

172872[/snapback]

Every website I've Googled suggests otherwise.

I've yet to master chopsticks..I've tried them, but find them awkward and too slow to eat with.

That said, I love a variety of Asian cuisine...Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese, Japanese (incl. sushi), Korean, and a wide range of Indian cuisine..I love ultra-spicy Thai, Indian, and Sri Lankan, but it sometimes doesn't like me (I can get spontaneous diaroehea from ultra-spicy vindaloos..so I down 4-6 Immodium tablets before and after eating..)

I can fumble with them. My first job was at a Chinese restaurant, and they taught me how to eat with them, but I have not practiced since. I guess the bottom line is that I could if I had to, but I'm lazy and usually too hungry to be bothered.