24 members have voted

1. 1. Well, would you?

• YES - I already own some
    • YES - I would if I had the money
    • YES - But, I'm waiting for the right time
    • NO - I won't buy any stocks
    • NO - I won't buy auto stocks
    • NO - Just won't invest in GM

I'm still 18 so I can't buy stock... yet... I tried going through my parents, but it required too much bereaucracy for my taste.

171068[/snapback]

you have a checking account? you can buy stock.

www.sharebuilder.com

it's who I use and it's a great savings tool even if all you do is use their moneymarket feature to put away a few bucks each month.

you have a checking account? you can buy stock.

www.sharebuilder.com

it's who I use and it's a great savings tool even if all you do is use their moneymarket feature to put away a few bucks each month.

171078[/snapback]

That's who I use too... and not just because they're HQ'd in Bellevue WA :)

I have been thinking about this recently because I am in the process of setting up an investment account and I believe GM is a good future investment. Its products are on the way up and its stars are beginning to align again. However, I found some interesting things that have turned me off.

If you purchased GM stock decades ago it would still virtually be worth the same now. In other words, you barely made any money. Supporting the company is great and all but when you are in the game to make money it is a different story.

Edit: I'm talking about long-term stock investments, not day trading. You may make money off GM stock in the short-term but what I mentioned above regards the long-term, what I am mainly interested in (less tax, less volitile, more earnings potential).

Edited by sciguy_0504

Yes... but I wish I did it a while ago when they were in the high teens.

171076[/snapback]

Amen. I bought some at 21.36. If I recall, it hit 18 and some change at one point. I knew it would go up. I'm not that risky, so I didn't buy that much. I wish I had bought more.

Kind of a cool story about GM stock here....

My Grandfather and his sisters all went into together and bought some GM stock in the 1930s during a big strike. (I think it was in '37) Over the years most of the dividends were reinvested, the stock split several times, and when possible they bought more. Almost 70 years later it is all still in the family.

My Dad is an only child and my grandfathers sisters never had any kids so as the relatives have died off over the years my dad has accumulated quit a bit of GM stock.

It was really a bummer when they cut the dividend a while back, and over the last couple years there has certinly been some cause for concern, but we are still hanging on to it nonetheless. It was tough seeing it in the high teens for a while, but it has since gone back up... you just have to have faith that it will one day be back in the 70s and 80s. :)

I've got this hanging on my wall, bought it off

of eBay a while back. It was issued 34 days

before the debut of the 1967 Camaro.

Posted Image

So to answer your question if I had money to invest in

ANYTHING a big chunk would be in GM. Maybe like

40% GM, 20% Daimler Chrysler, 20% Coca Cola, 10%

Microsoft & 10% Pfizer.

I have a Sharebuilder account and have bought GM, DCX, Ford amidst a fair number of tech stocks (IBM, Google, Yahoo, Cisco, HP, Sun, Microsoft) and companies in other industries (Home Depot, GE, RC2, some construction and home building companies, etc..

I also buy stock through my Fidelity and eTrade accounts..

I'm getting bullish on GM stock ..