New GM ad campaign?

bowtie_dude

On my way out of Lexington this morning, I spotted a billboard that said:

"We'll see your 10... and raise you 44. 54 plants in the U.S."

And it had all the brands underneath and the big blue GM badge on the right-hand side. Thats probably one of the best ads I've seen from GM in a while.

I wasn't even aware that they were doing this. I think its a great jab back at Toyota.

:Toyota:

Someone needs to take a picture! :thumbsup:

170688[/snapback]

Yellowjacket is in Lexington. I'll be here in Chicago until Thursday, so I won't have a chance.

If YJ is reading this, its on the inner loop New Circle just before the Newtown Pike exit on the right.

Guest YellowJacket894

Bowtie_Dude: I'll try to get a photo soon. No promises, though. I've got a pretty pathedic camera. :AH-HA_wink:

Around the Newtown Pike exit, huh? I never really pay much attention to billboards, but I think I remember seeing this one.

Edited by YellowJacket894

It's great until people realize GM is closing plants, laying off thousands of workers and (hopefully) overhauling its entire business model, steps that are needed when you no longer have 50% market share and never again will. It's probably a dealer or group of dealers in the area doing it.

It's great until people realize GM is closing plants, laying off thousands of workers and (hopefully) overhauling its entire business model, steps that are needed when you no longer have 50% market share and never again will.  It's probably a dealer or group of dealers in the area doing it.

170736[/snapback]

I dunno, pretty fancy ad for it to be from local dealers.

Yeah it's clever, and it does take aim at bad press and Toyota, but really, appealing to pro-American sentiment can only go so far. In fact, you are often just preaching to the choir.

Hopefully, that billboard will soon have an awesome picture of say, a new agressive Zeta four door, or the Camaro.

There's also a rather pathetic "Everyone likes a good story. But that doesn't make it true. Get the facts!" banner ad going around, that links to a June 1, 2006 GM response to Thomas Friedman, as well as a Who Killed the Electric Car rebuttal, mixed together with "facts" on ethanol and FlexFuel vehicles.

There's also a rather pathetic Thomas Friedman going around, as well as a banner that links Friedman to Killing the Electric Car. mix Friedman together with ethanol to make Fuel. Thomas Friedman likes butt. true story.

170820[/snapback]

There. Edited for accuracy. :)

There's also a rather pathetic "Everyone likes a good story. But that doesn't make it true. Get the facts!" banner ad going around, that links to a June 1, 2006 GM response to Thomas Friedman, as well as a Who Killed the Electric Car rebuttal, mixed together with "facts" on ethanol and FlexFuel vehicles.

170820[/snapback]

about time

I'm in Lexington too. There's a neat billboard at the corner of Russell Cave and New Circle.

It's something like: "WE GOT 10 PLANTS TOO.....IN OHIO!"

I love the billboard!! I thought it was very creative. The Toyota plant in Georgetown is nearby, so the ad is a direct assault in the middle of Toyota land.

I'm in Lexington too.  There's a neat billboard at the corner of Russell Cave and New Circle. 

It's something like:  "WE GOT 10 PLANTS TOO.....IN OHIO!" 

I love the billboard!!  I thought it was very creative.  The Toyota plant in Georgetown is nearby, so the ad is a direct assault in the middle of Toyota land.

170908[/snapback]

Glad I'm not the only one thats noticed that Lexington seems to have A LOT of Toyota's on the roads. :censored:

They need to go country wide with it.

Funny, people miss the fact that GM also employees more Engineers, Accountants, and other jobs that pay more in taxes and do more to help move our country forward.

170995[/snapback]

:huh: Umm, can you say "Move our country forward." anymore without breaching some Toyota ad campaign.

Actually, I am glad to see GM striking while the iron is hot. Toyota is killing itself with poor quality and ugly cars as of late. (I actually like the Xc so Sciguy can bite me for attacking 'his brand', o.k.?) It is high time the world learned the truth about GM's cars and the technology they have put onto the road. All of these Consumer Reports shoppers need to read the fine print and see that they are buying a huge load of bull :censored: . Ask my brother about his $42k Sienna...at least it is shaped like the lemon it is. Toyota has done a great job at marketing itself as a quality brand, and let's face it, they have built some well running little cars, but as they continue to grow - they continue to falter.

More importantly, I hope that GM's attack actually highlights that while the cars are ASSEMBLED HERE to avoid paying IMPORT DUTIES and Tarrifs to the U.S. Economy, they are also not paying the workers what the Big Three have to to make cars. That is what really needs to get out to the consumers. I bet these people who bitch about Japan owning so much of the United States all drive the Jap Cars that gave the Japanese the money to BUY EVERYTHING here in the first place.

Guest YellowJacket894

Christ, I didn't realize we had so many Lexingtonians here. (And that guy from Richmond.)

Glad I'm not the only one thats noticed that Lexington seems to have A LOT of Toyota's on the roads.  :censored:

And most of them come from up the road at Toyota on Nicholasville. I hate their slogan ("Where price sells cars!") and their $h!ty jingle that sounds like something out of a 1993 LeRoy's Jewlers ad.

Edited by YellowJacket894

Christ, I didn't realize we had so many Lexingtonians here. (And that guy from Richmond.)

Glad I'm not the only one thats noticed that Lexington seems to have A LOT of Toyota's on the roads.  :censored:

And most of them come from up the road at Toyota on Nicholasville. I hate their slogan ("Where price sells cars!") and their $h!ty jingle that sounds like something out of a 1993 LeRoy's Jewlers ad.

171127[/snapback]

Yeah, its really bad.

In central Kentucky, every other car is a Camry. It's really right sickening. Even if I loved Japanese cars, I couldn't buy one that everyone else has. The Camrys are made about 20 min. from Lexington. I will say though that the domestic trucks are still everywhere, but Camrys are a dime a dozen.

I'm love the ads and wouldn't mind GM doing some commercials like this. It's very creative and reminds people that GM is tons more beneficial to the American economy than Toyota.

On my way out of Lexington this morning, I spotted a billboard that said:

"We'll see your 10... and raise you 44.  54 plants in the U.S."

And it had all the brands underneath and the big blue GM badge on the right-hand side.  Thats probably one of the best ads I've seen from GM in a while.

I wasn't even aware that they were doing this.  I think its a great jab back at Toyota. 

:Toyota:

170672[/snapback]

So....they are bragging about the number of plants they have here? At a time when they are over-capacity....and having to incentivize their products because they can't reduce production enough and have to keep the plants running?

:huh:

So....they are bragging about the number of plants they have here?  At a time when they are over-capacity....and having to incentivize their products because they can't reduce production enough and have to keep the plants running?

:huh:

171648[/snapback]

Toyota brags about the Prius getting 60mpg, which even they know it can't get in this country.

Isuzu bragged about winning some award from Southern Montana Offroad 4X4 Quarterly or something with a circulation of five.

Hyundai brags that the Azera has more [EPA-rated] interior space than the BMW 760i. Its true, but a '96 LeSabre has even more than either.

Infiniti bragged about the Q45's 0-60 time...in cold, low-moisture air...with no spare tire...and a <100lb driver.

Bragging is bragging. Who said it had to be 100% logical?

Toyota brags about the Prius getting 60mpg, which even they know it can't get in this country.

Isuzu bragged about winning some award from Southern Montana Offroad 4X4 Quarterly or something with a circulation of five.

Hyundai brags that the Azera has more [EPA-rated] interior space than the BMW 760i. Its true, but a '96 LeSabre has even more than either.

Infiniti bragged about the Q45's 0-60 time...in cold, low-moisture air...with no spare tire...and a <100lb driver.

Bragging is bragging. Who said it had to be 100% logical?

171651[/snapback]

our product development guy told us the aveo has more interior volume then the 06 camry... but what does that really mean? nothing really...

our product development guy told us the aveo has more interior volume then the 06 camry... but what does that really mean? nothing really...

171700[/snapback]

it means you can add one more bag of sand to the interior through the sunroof.

They've got the "8 plants, too" billboard on my way home from work; I've been meaning to take a picture of it. I'll see if I can get up early enough one day if anyone still wants a picture of it (I work 2nd shift). I think they've got one here because the Toyota plant in Princeton is about an hour up US41.

A buddy of mine saw it first and thought it was amusing. I think it's something they've been needing to do for a while.

It's great until people realize GM is closing plants, laying off thousands of workers and (hopefully) overhauling its entire business model, steps that are needed when you no longer have 50% market share and never again will.  It's probably a dealer or group of dealers in the area doing it.

170736[/snapback]

Maybe Toyota should put up boards that say "we're doing our best to skim tax breaks and send profits overseas" Or Honda can proudly proclaim "we run the top rated auto assembly plant in the states, top rated for injuries".

Exactly how much is Toyota paying you to post here? Really now, I just don't see GM or Ford fans going out of their way to suck up on their fan sites. And considering the Toyota treatment delivered during their sham of cover up of the sludge defect, I don't think it's below them. You may procede to make all sorts of allegations now, I'm sure you'll find some sort of justification.

and to all, that would be cool to see more of these types of ads.

171736[/snapback]

yea it would be nice to see GM actually stand up for its self...

the 200k Mile club is a perfect example...

what about fuel ecconomy?

Emissions?

I think its obvious GM is the largest supplier of jobs to N.A. in the automotive industry...

What about style?

There are there parts to selling cars,

1) overcome the objection

2) getting the 'Deal'

3) product

for too long GM has been focusing on the deal, recently they are focusing on the product, but there still is a problem of perception...

These need to go in key markets like Washington D.C., New York, L.A., San Francisco, Miami and Houston - all areas where GM doesn't sell that many cars anymore.

Does anyone know how widespread this ad campaign is supposed to be?

These need to go in key markets like Washington D.C., New York, L.A., San Francisco, Miami and Houston -  all areas where GM doesn't sell that many cars anymore. 

Does anyone know how widespread this ad campaign is supposed to be?

171772[/snapback]

each area needs a different twist...

each area needs a fact... like a snaple bottle...

I agree, each one should be slightly tailored for a different audience.

In Texas, we have a lot of billboards for the new Tahoe claiming how it's built here. That's actually a smart move because you know Toyota is going to play the built in Texas theme with the Tundra.

But, I still think the billboards that are in Kentucky would work here too, just the way they are. I'm not sure that many people here in Houston would make the connection though. :scratchchin: