3790 - Pontiac Bonneville GXP ('04)

3803 - Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0 ('01)

3884 - Buick Park Ave Ultra ('97)

3926 - DeVille Concours ('96)

3967 - Oldsmobile Aurora ('95)

3970 - Cadillac Seville ('98)

3978 - Cadillac DeVille ('00)

4211 - Buick Roadmaster ('96)

None of the cars based on or derived from the G-body weigh as much, except for the Cadillacs and even then not by much. I have an aluminum hood, alloy wheels, frameless door glass, and an aluminum engine. What gives?

LOL 'Like, O...mah...GAWD!'

Yeah, that's a tad up there. I always figured my old '95 Monte Carlo was big-boned by appearance; but at 3400+ lbs., I guess it wasn't too bad.

Would it be safe to say that a more luxury-oriented vehicle would weight much more as a feature-laden model?

I'm impressed with the Fusion, having that mid-sized car image, but working out to be none-too-bad in weight that allows for an I4.

It's all the electronics & other sh!t packed into it. My '64 Catalina (whlbs: 120", overall: 213") has roughly 15 lbs of plastic in it, an iron block V-8, framed glass and all steel body/bumpers, yet without options it weighs 3770.

Be glad you don't own a mercedes roadster- the one 2-seater, which must easily have 1000 lbs of cheap plastic in it, weighs 4400 lbs. That's 400+ lbs more than my F-150 4x2 I6.

:lol:

I will say she carries her curves very well...

Posted ImagePosted Image

Unlike some others...

Posted ImagePosted Image

170386[/snapback]

Ahhh!

That's great!

It's heavy 'cause it's stiff. I still remember reading about the big deal GM made about the 25 Hz platform - as good as Mercedes at the time - and how that translated to good, communicative handling and a solid feel:

Although the front-drive chassis is an evolutionary development of the Cutlass Supreme GM-10 platform, it's been reworked from end to end to improve rigidity, a new--and significant--engineering priority at GM. The Intrigue also seems to indicate that GM is learning how to increase rigidity without a corresponding increase in bulk. Its chassis registers 22.4 Hz on the bending scale, and nearly as high in torsional rigidity.

Beyond durability and noise isolation issues, chassis rigidity is the cornerstone of good vehicle dynamics. Since the suspension components don't have to compensate for chassis flex, it's easier to achieve the desired blend of ride and handling traits.  In the Intrigue, that blend seems to be right on the money, and distinctly European in character--firm, but devoid of harshness.

I seem to remember GM adding braces and reinforcements to the chassis to meet get that structural rigidity, and that, more than anything, contributed to the in increase in mass.

-RBB

Edited by RBB

Seriously...

3686 - Oldsmobile Aurora 3.5 ('01)

3713 - Buick Riviera ('95)

3790 - Pontiac Bonneville GXP ('04)

3803 - Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0 ('01)

3884 - Buick Park Ave Ultra ('97)

3926 - DeVille Concours ('96)

3967 - Oldsmobile Aurora ('95)

3970 - Cadillac Seville ('98)

3978 - Cadillac DeVille ('00)

4211 - Buick Roadmaster ('96)

None of the cars based on or derived from the G-body weigh as much, except for the Cadillacs and even then not by much. I have an aluminum hood, alloy wheels, frameless door glass, and an aluminum engine. What gives?

The G-body platform was touted for its stiffness...and stiffness doesn't come cheap. As you've pointed out, they learned how to take some weight out in the second-generation Aurora (164 lbs). Additionally, the Riviera, being a 2-door, didn't have the extra door openings requiring additional structural reinforcements, which allowed it to weigh less.

The V6 Park Avenue weighed MORE than the V6 2001 Aurora (even adding in the weight adjustment for the second-generation Aurora). The 1996 DeVille wasn't a G-body.

My point is that the 1995 Aurora was lighter than the other first-generation G-body V8 and the relatively "pedestrian" Pontiac Bonneville was only 13lbs lighter than the second-generation V8 Aurora.

well there not supposed to weigh it with dead bodys in the trunk.

I wonder how much my Caprice wieghs. She is Like that fat chick thats wheres Sexy clothing that makes her look good. and very playful......

Looks like your Aurora is still quite a bit lighter

than my Super 88. When it comes to luxury

cars I consider a lot of weight to be a good

attribute, in an accident mass is still THE most

important factor. Always will be.

I don't like skinny chicks. Hourglass figures, full

natrual chests & a little bit of hip is where it's at!

This is as skinny as I like 'em. :lovey:

Posted Image

...even lovely Carmen could put on a few lbs. IMHO.

She's destined to weigh 225 pounds in a few years.  Electra 225.  *groan* :AH-HA_wink:

170984[/snapback]

Good, then maybe if Marcia kicks me to the curb I'll have

TWO Electra 225s... a 1959 Model manufactured in 1958,

and a 1972 model conceived in 1971. That's my cutoff

era anyway.. after the early 1970s it's all downhill. :P

Besides, Electra would probably still carry 225 better than

some girls carry 170. She's HOT! Unless she's like 400lbs:

:idhitit:

From an old thread somewhere on this forum or Buick-59.com. :D

I made it cause I was bored and wanted to make some point I

have since then forgoten about. Probably because I think 59

Buicks are hotter than even most chicks.

Posted Image