GM retirees give their opinions

wildcat

The Detroit Free Press published an article July 23rd, "An Informal Club: Retirees, coffee and GM," in which several people voiced their opinion about GM's current state of affairs. One sidebar focused on "5 Things They Want CEO Rick Wagoner to Know." To read the entire story, click here.

It's funny, I talked to my Dad last night, a 68 year old retiree who once worked for GM back in the 70s-80s. He didn't seem too bothered by the Renault alliance. He figured that Renault is in it for the technology they can gain from GM and that they really have no intentions on "destroying" the company or anything like that. Just another take on it I guess.

I personally think the merger or alliance or whatever it's referred to as is probably going to be worthless for GM. Also, it will be a huge distraction and a colossal hassle at the middle management level to integrate these megacorporations together.

GM has some killer product/technology, they just need to learn how to market it better and get it to market faster (like the 6 spd. trannys, the rear drive Impala, the new Camaro and CTS,etc..., and the new dual mode hybrid drivetrains).

Edited by gmcbob

It's funny, I talked to my Dad last night, a 68 year old retiree who once worked for GM back in the 70s-80s.  He didn't seem too bothered by the Renault alliance.  He figured that Renault is in it for the technology they can gain from GM and that they really have no intentions on "destroying" the company or anything like that.  Just another take on it I guess.

I personally think the merger or alliance or whatever it's referred to as is probably going to be worthless for GM.  Also, it will be a huge distraction and a colossal hassle at the middle management level to integrate these megacorporations together.

GM has some killer product/technology, they just need to learn how to market it better and get it to market faster (like the 6 spd. trannys, the rear drive Impala, the new Camaro and CTS,etc..., and the new dual mode hybrid drivetrains).

170243[/snapback]

I cant think of any Alliance where GM has benifited, except from the Izusu one we got the Duramax... but the Fiat... Suzuki... Fuji Motors...These brands all seemed to bring nothing from the table, but take from GM...

We need a world where these worthless corporate/government leaders stop playing companies and citizens like little games at Vegas.

Fire a few of them or better yet hang them at high noon in front of their families....................then the message will get out there...................this is our country.............these are our jobs, our families, our homes, our land..............and we're tired of you all destroying what took generations and generations to build

MORONS !

I agree - this "alliance" talk is pure bull$h!. There won't be any benefit for GM. They need to focus on building great cars at reasonable prices and they clearly know how to do it - they just need to be given the opportunity and resources to do it.

My brother-in-law just bought a Corvette Z06 and picked it up AT the factory. I think it's in Kentucky? (I'm sure others here know where.) They have a museum there and the car was delivered to them at the museum PLUS they got a plant tour while they were there. He was absolutely impressed with what the factory was doing and how it all comes together.

The bottom line is he loves the car and the overall delivery experience was top notch. If only GM could take what they know and do with the Corvette and apply it to the rest of the product line we wouldn't even be having these discussions about "alliances" and so forth.

He also commented about the fact there was clearly pride on the part of the factory workers he met and saw. Pride in the Corvettes they are building and the job they do. They (the workers) also took the opportunity to thank him for buying a Corvette when they got the opportunity.

The experience tells you a lot about what can be done when there's focus.

I cant think of any Alliance where GM has benifited, except from the Izusu one we got the Duramax... but the Fiat... Suzuki... Fuji Motors...These brands all seemed to bring nothing from the table, but take from GM...

170245[/snapback]

We need a world where these worthless corporate/government leaders stop playing companies and citizens like little games at Vegas.

Fire a few of them or better yet hang them at high noon in front of their families....................then the message will get out there...................this is our country.............these are our jobs, our families, our homes, our land..............and we're tired of you all destroying what took generations and generations to build

MORONS !

170257[/snapback]

First, I would like the union leaders to realize that the world does not stop at union leadership. I have

seen MANY customers leave GM dealerships for good because of strikes and lack of coroporation from the unions (just to line the pockets of the union member). This hurt MANY dealership employees! For every corporate CEO that gets the rope.........there should be two union leaders that get the rope. :angry:

That article hits you where it hurts, these are the people whose opinions matter. They are honrable, wise people who know what it means to be American and what an American auto-company should represent. And, they're right. Agree with it or not, the Japanese and especially the French should not get any type of foothold in the American auto-industry. It's sad to think that in 20 years no company is going to be owned by Americans, the Japanese are buying everything. People don't see the harm, but when there are no more American CEOs in the United States we will see the harm. They already started buying US highways, that's right, highways the WE THE TAXPAYERS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA paid for to be built. It's a tough situation, the retirees need to be heard, they built GM and I think they should have some say as to what direction it heads in right now.

Perhaps because the Japanese were nearly bombed into the Dark Ages 60 years ago, they are used to suffering and sacrifice: something we fat, lazy North Americans should learn from.

You don't see Japanese buying every American or European car in sight. No, in fact the average Japanese citizen sacrifices (in the form of higher food prices and a nearly bankrupt banking system) so that Japan Inc can continue the war overseas. Wouldn't it be nice if GM could borrow at nearly 0% to fund its overseas expansions? Wouldn't it be nice if GM had a dollar that was worth less than a half a Euro to help with exports?

[shakes head] We won't learn and neither Washington or Ottawa will wake up. Maybe MacArthur was right in giving the Japanese a "hand up" 60 years ago, but it is time someone woke up and told them to fight on a level playing field.