J.D. Power Customer Service Index

wildcat

Probably GM itself won't bother with any publicity ( <_< after all, this includes Buick, and, in fact, Buick is ranked above Cadillac here ), so here is the J.D. Power Customer Service Index announced July 20th. It's based on a thousand-point scale:

1. Lexus 912

2. Buick 911

3. Cadillac 909

4. Jaguar 908

5. Lincoln 906

and the rest...

Mercury 905

Saturn 904

Pontiac 903

Audi 890

MINI 890

Volvo 890

Acura 889

Chevrolet 887

Infiniti 887

Porsche 887

BMW 884

Honda 883

HUMMER 882

Saab 880

GMC 879

Industry Average 873

Mercedes-Benz 872

Hyundai 869

Chrysler 867

Ford 866

Dodge 862

Toyota 861

Subaru 858

Jeep 851

Nissan 849

Mitsubishi 848

Kia 843

Mazda 843

Land Rover 840

Suzuki 823

Volkswagen 810

Isuzu 781

To read the entire release, click here.

Wha.. c.c.couuld it be.. wait ,ye,yes yes it is! ALL of GM's divisions A B O V E industry average! Thats right ABOVE average. By the way,,,,, where was Toyota again?  :pokeowned:

169514[/snapback]

Remember this measurement is the service relationship with dealers and the experience therein. It has nothing to do with product other than it's being serviced.

It's a good think but it doesn't speak to the product which has always been one of the key problems. In fact I would expect the numbers across the board to be similar since the "Toyota Way" does not apply in this area. There are dealer aspects of the "Toyota Way" but it's more about managing the sales process and establishing forecast, etc.

I've seen numerous claims that 'crappy service will make me shop elsewhere', so despite an attempt to downplay the results; having this area of the buying experience on solid, aspirational ground is one less thing to worry about/fix. Give the dealers credit for a job well done.

Excellent! Way to go GM... keep on improving. 8)

The fact that Acura/Honda & Lexus/Toyota are so far off

shows just how much the dealer network has to do with these

results. Same basic cars sold through a dealer network should

NOT show such different results.

P.S. VW sucks!

Really - you know what that study tells me - Old people for the most part of easily satisfied

Mercury, Lincoln, Lexus, Cadillac and of course Buick as we all know attract the oldest cliental. Trust me - that has a lot to do with the results.

And any niche brand should not even be on that list.

Edited by evok

Really - you know what that study tells me - Old people for the most part of easily satisfied

Mercury, Lincoln, Lexus, Cadillac and of course Buick as we all know attract the oldest cliental.  Trust me - that has a lot to do with the results.

169994[/snapback]

Grow up!----- and get a life!

Since when can't older drivers discern when they are getting screwed?

And as far as niche brands...... be more specific with your sour grapes!

:stupid:

There is plenty of truth in what I said.

Here is an example of a study that I conducted.

Looking at two GM vehicles, one a Buick and another a Pontiac. Both shared the same horn location and airbag assemble where the horn contact was located. By far the biggest complaint on the Buick was the driver could not find the horn but it did not show up in the Pontiac field data.

How is that possible given both vehicles sold app. the same number, had the same exposure in the field and shared the same horn assy?

The only significant difference was the average age of the purchaser of the 2 vehicles (By 20 years in favor of the Buick of course.)

I verified this by looking at similar Ford vehicles and it held true with problems that can be associated with the age deomographic.

The dealer study elludes to that also. This has nothing to do with being screwed. What I pointed out in my first post is called an insightful observation.

Older people perceive things differently based upon different needs expectations etc.

Edited by evok

Now I will tackle your assine post as it certainly did not entail me to take the time and write a more dignified response as I just did above.

170002[/snapback]

What exacly did I state that was offensive? What I pointed out is in fact true. There is a correlation between ABA and the vehicles that scored high on that list.

That is fact.

Before you start throwing stones I would double check the facts.

With that statement I would go and check what I actually wrote. Did I state that old people like yourself are stupid? I will show that you are stupid but no where do I generalize that older people are. The words I used were "easily satisfied."

I am unaware the meaning of "easily satisfied" has changed to "stupid."

And where in my first post do I show sour grapes? Companies like Porshe, Jag, Mini etc sell so few cars that statistically they might be of interest but when ranking relevance to the general public, they skew the results. They clutter the average and do not show a true picture where Toyota ranks with Honda or Ford and Chevy. It is the law of averages.

Just like when JP has there appeal score and ranks small cars and the Mini is number 1. Who cares when the majority of vehicles in that class sell 100,000 of vehicles and Mini sell 20k. It is not a true picture.

I think at your age your reading comprehension would be better!

Edited by evok

Isn't toyota within 4-5 years ABA of Cadillac?

170037[/snapback]

There is over a 10 year difference between the two. Cadillac being older of course.

I really don't think age by itself has anything to do with it whatsoever.

The top ABA and top brands on the list for the most part are the same.

Looking at two GM vehicles, one a Buick and another a Pontiac.  Both shared the same horn location and airbag assemble where the horn contact was located.  By far the biggest complaint on the Buick was the driver could not find the horn but it did not show up in the Pontiac field data.

How is that possible given both vehicles sold app. the same number, had the same exposure in the field and shared the same horn assy?

The only significant difference was the average age of the purchaser of the 2 vehicles (By 20 years in favor of the Buick of course.)

You realize this 'study' disproves your theory, right? The buick buyer, being markedly older, complains less according to you, but your example showed them as complaining more.

Looking at two GM vehicles, one a Buick and another a Pontiac.  Both shared the same horn location and airbag assemble where the horn contact was located.  By far the biggest complaint on the Buick was the driver could not find the horn but it did not show up in the Pontiac field data.

You realize this 'study' disproves your theory, right? The buick buyer, being markedly older, complains less according to you, but your example showed them as complaining more.

170057[/snapback]

My example showed Buick owners complained about the horn more than Pontiac owners. I never stated that the total complaints about the vehicle were different or that Pontiac drivers did not complain about other aspects of the vehicle. Total complains from memory was about the same. They were just different.

My post showed as I stated in my last sentence of that post, that there is a perception gap with age.

169994[/snapback]

I would argue that most old people are not easily satisfied. They will[/i[ take a car back three or four times to fix a sunvisor or gas gauge that reads a little high or something else a younger person would simply deal with. Also, add to the fact most older people are - by virtue of their age - retired and have no jobs. What else do they have to do besides vote, get the early bird special, and hang around the Buick dealership and bitch?

Again, this is anecdotal, but every time I've had to visit my dealership for service (not that often), the same old couple on their eighth LeSabre (so I've overheard) are there everytime. I know its not a meaningful problem with the car because when they leave before I do, I hear things like, "Okay, Mr. So-and-So, your cupholder closes again."

I would argue that most old people are not easily satisfied. They will[/i[ take a car back three or four times to fix a sunvisor or gas gauge that reads a little high or something else a younger person would simply deal with. Also, add to the fact most older people are - by virtue of their age - retired and have no jobs. What else do they have to do besides vote, get the early bird special, and hang around the Buick dealership and bitch?

Again, this is anecdotal, but every time I've had to visit my dealership for service (not that often), the same old couple on their eighth LeSabre (so I've overheard) are there everytime. I know its not a meaningful problem with the car because when they leave before I do, I hear things like, "Okay, Mr. So-and-So, your cupholder closes again."

170061[/snapback]

But they do not "bitch" on the survey. Hence satisfied.

Also look at the vehicles we are talking about:

Deville, LaCross, DTS, LaSabre, Town Car GM, ES etc

Also and I am speculating with this, for the top brands on this list, there should be a lot of repeat business and these customers have build up a long standing relationship with the dealer over the years.

Edited by evok

Every old person i know fills out surveys since they have time. Younger people could care less about surveys or complaing. There is no truth to what you said its your opinion! but i will not comment on your opinion anymore at least I'll try.

but this report shows that more people are more overall happy with there treatment at the GM dealers than the Industry Avearage. And thats Good For GM and the GM Dealer network.

Also and I am speculating with this, for the top brands on this list, there should be a lot of repeat business and these customers have build up a long standing relationship with the dealer over the years.

170069[/snapback]

This is true.

I will add that this is really not directly representative of the quality of cars sold by those dealers in any way. I could buy a Sable that eats transmissions like Aamaco built it, but the LincMerc dealer always went out of their way to satisfy me - I'll rate the car poorly, but the dealer top notch. I could then buy an Accord that never has a major problem, but the dealers are complete assholes about every little thing - Car gets good marks, dealer can kiss my ass and lose my business.

The ideal is a great car with great dealers. Why would one ever buy anything else? And oftentimes, dealerships balance out the inferior aspects of a car. The G6 may have a lousy dash, but I never want to deal with anyone at a Honda dealership. If I have to inconvenience myself to find a decent ___mobile dealer, then I may not buy that car, and believe me, there are brands that some people avoid because 5 of the 6 retailers are full of jerks.

"Also and I am speculating on this, for the top brands on this list, there should be a lot of repeat business and these customers have build [sic] up a long standing relationship with the dealer over the years."

Here, here. Well put, because the one truth I have learned in my 25+ years of customer service is that older clients will complain and they will notice, but if they've been dealing with same dealer (or service advisor, etc.) for years, they get treated better - they are known! We get lots of them sitting in our lounge and they hang out, drink the free coffee and know most of the guys and gals by name. Yes, they do take the time to fill out the survey, that I believe is true, too.

That also helps to explain VW's poor standings: the younger people that lease these are shocked when the car doesn't live up to their expectations and more shocked when the dealer doesn't hop-to when they walk in the door!

Look at it this way, have all the awards Hyundai's have received made ANYONE here want to buy one? Yeah me either.

So what makes anyone think GM cars/divisions winning some awards would make a Camry/Accord shopper buy a Malibu? Exactly. Chevrolets have been reliable for years, its customer appeal that GM can't seem to get a handle on.

And its not like the company isn't capable of building an appealing vehicle. They apparently just have two different design studios, one for trucks/SUVs, another for cars, and only the former seems to know what the hell its doing.

In the end, the rule "figures lie and liars figure" comes to mind. I've found dealers in general are filled with mediocre people. This is the way of the world unfortunately. I also wonder about how the "service" perception is impacted by things out of the dealer's control.

Currently I'm waiting for a replacement NAV unit for my GM vehicle and I've been waiting since the end of May. This unit is a replacement for one they installed at the end of March which was defective. They buy this from the vendor that originally supplied the unit to GM. Needless to say I'm not happy with having a broken NAV unit for 4+ months. Even though it's a 3rd party vendor supplying the product, I still blame GM for this lousy service. They engaged the vendor so they own the responsibility.

Another thing that pissed my off about this experience is how sleazy the whole experience was. When they originally diagnosed the problem (pretty obvious - the NAV unit was dead) they quoted me a NEW replacement to the tune of $1800. When it turned out to be under warranty all of a sudden I have to wait for a "refurbished" unit which in the end was defective because the vendor didn't actually fix it when it was returned as a failed unit from another customer.

I shouldn't have to wait 4 months to get something covered under warranty. If they didn't have an available refurbished unit, they should have replaced it with new. That's good customer service. After this experience I know GM doesn't want me as a customer so I'll spend my $60K with Lexus the next time around.

Your local Lexus dealer probably uses the same after market supplier to repair/replace their electronics, too. It is a highly specialized service and there are only a few authorized repair places around that will go to the dealer and fix/replace the units. The dealer's themselves don't usually service the units. It is outsourced.

I've seen this problem before and it usually happens with an all new vehicle or an all new feature because nobody has stocked the replacement units yet. It is unfortunate if you are one of the first to have a problem. We had a similar situation with a LCD screen in a Venture and took one out of a van in the show room to replace the customer's unit - at considerable expense and inconvenience to us, but at least we had that option available. DVD Nav systems are far more complex.

This is the problem that the service industry every where is experiencing. As hard goods become more and more complex, there are bound to be problems. As with everything in life, people are becoming more impatient and are demanding more.

I had a customer argue with me that the brakes on his Intrigue should be cheaper and last longer than the brakes on his Tempo because the Intrigue was a "better" car. I tried to explain to him that that has nothing to do with it. The brakes on the Intrigue were far more complex and would, therefore, be more expensive. He thought I was nuts.

My job can be tough, but I would never EVER want to work in service.

Evok - "older people are easier satisified"

Before you get a life you need to come back down to planet earth. Everyone knows all older people do is nit pick and bitch and moan about the downward spiral of socioty and all things earthly. "Nothing to do, so I think Ill get that window switch that just doesnt feel quite right fixed this week". Well then yes they will give the dealers a good rating because they took the time to fix the item or at least pretend too and humor the old folks as they spend the afternoon "hanging out". Older folks are also more apt to take their car to the dealer for service year after year after year, long after warranty.

This is also the same reason BOP and Caddy had higher complaints on initial quality in some poles. Nit pickin.

Toyotas are for people that could care less about cars but need one for transportation. So they buy what is presumed to be the best and drive it till trade in time and begin again.

Nothing like down playing any thing positive about GM while making large of anything negitive about GM.

There is probably some truth in what you've said below however both GM and Lexus own the responsibility to come up with a workable plan. I can't personally go back to the supplier and throttle them to fix the problem. I'm not their customer. GM et al are their customer.

I am not describing a "new" product either. The car is a 2002 and I would expect they've have plenty of repair stock now. Unfortunately it *is* a challenge to be knowledgeable about NAV systems. They're all different and take some time and effort to learn each one.

On your Intrigue topic below, there are customers out there trying to get everything they possibly can for as little as possible and on somebody else's dime if it could be worked. These may not be the best customers to have and may have to be "fired." We do it once in a while when customers get ridiculous - (not the car business thankfully.)

Your local Lexus dealer probably uses the same after market supplier to repair/replace their electronics, too.  It is a highly specialized service and there are only a few authorized repair places around that will go to the dealer and fix/replace the units.  The dealer's themselves don't usually service the units.  It is outsourced.

I've seen this problem before and it usually happens with an all new vehicle or an all new feature because nobody has stocked the replacement units yet.  It is unfortunate if you are one of the first to have a problem.  We had a similar situation with a LCD screen in a Venture and took one out of a van in the show room to replace the customer's unit - at considerable expense and inconvenience to us, but at least we had that option available.  DVD Nav systems are far more complex.

This is the problem that the service industry every where is experiencing.  As hard goods become more and more complex, there are bound to be problems.  As with everything in life, people are becoming more impatient and are demanding more.

I had a customer argue with me that the brakes on his Intrigue should be cheaper and last longer than the brakes on his Tempo because the Intrigue was a "better" car.  I tried to explain to him that that has nothing to do with it.  The brakes on the Intrigue were far more complex and would, therefore, be more expensive.  He thought I was nuts.

My job can be tough, but I would never EVER want to work in service.

170557[/snapback]

I've seen numerous claims that 'crappy service will make me shop elsewhere', so despite an attempt to downplay the results; having this area of the buying experience on solid, aspirational ground is one less thing to worry about/fix. Give the dealers credit for a job well done.

169854[/snapback]

LOL... I know! Right??

I just love how everyone here has been conditioned to take a crap on everything positive relating to GM!

You know, Lexus, and their PR firm, the media sure as HELL has no problem touting these results around like they're the death of Elvis. But then when WE simple enthusiasts try to commend GM on a job well done, the conditioned 'GM tragedy' people step in and try to ruin it.

Mercury, Lincoln, Lexus, Cadillac and of course Buick as we all know attract the oldest cliental.  Trust me - that has a lot to do with the results.

169994[/snapback]

LMAO!!!! Typical "media" response...

I'm sure we'll see the articles citing this THEORY.... Well, unless it were the other way around. Then all hell would break loose with DOOM 'N GLOOM.

Yet more proof that GM cannot win the battle with the media and 'analysts'

And besides, where is that a bad thing?!?!?! If GM can satisfy anal retentive OLD people, then why couldn't they satisfy LESS picky young people...

This is a win... Whether or not the 'Toyota for god' brigade here wants to admit it or not.

At first I rejected Evok's thesis that older people are more easily satisfied causing these results. I have been thinking about this for a couple of days between war reports. I have followed owner comments at saturnfans.com fopr years now. At least once a month some one lists some problems with his bottom feeder car (amazingly sometimes used cars!). These people go absolutely bizerk. I fear for the saftey of the service writer. These are not the older coustomers. We older coustomers are more likely to say that the dealer did software changes to the transmission, now the car is better, and by the way the resroom was CLEAN.

Three chairs for clean restrooms at Pontiac and Saturn dealers.

169994[/snapback]

As YOUR OLDER driver, I definitely resent your comments toward what I would call the most hard to please clientel out there.

It is the younger generation who will accept anything that comes along!

:pbjtime:

2000 Data - ABA

Mercedes-Benz - 45

Lexus - 46

Oldsmobile - 46

Chrysler - 47

Mercury - 50

Jaguar - 50

Lincoln - 51

Cadillac - 55

Buick - 60

2005 Data ABA

Lincoln- 62.8

Buick - 60.8

Mercedes - 58.7

Chrysler - 56.4

Mercury - 55.1

Cadillac - 53.4

Jaguar - 49.8

Lexus - 49.4

1. Lexus 912

2. Buick 911

3. Cadillac 909

4. Jaguar 908

5. Lincoln 906

6. Mercury 905

Any Questions?

Yeah- a huge one:

>>"2000 Data - ABA...

2005 Data - ABA..."<<

There's no way this is accurate. It may be all we have to go on, but that doesn't mean it's accurate. Chrysler --post-300 mind you-- went from 47 to 56?? mercedes went from 45 to 58??? 58?? DCX is dying on it's feet if this were true!

There's other issues with the data:

Merc: 905, Merc ABA: 55

Linc: 906, Linc ABA: 63

If age were the primary factor, those two score's would be much farther apart, therefore, I fail to see the corrolation with the theory.

I can smell the statistical invalidity from here...

Edited by balthazar

That's odd... I've never been in an acceptable P-B-G or Chevrolet dealer.

170056[/snapback]

Just what do you mean by "acceptable"?!

I will have you know i take great pride in seeing that report and knowing that i had something to do with it. I dont know where you live or how many P-B-G dealers you have been in for that matter, but I ussure you that majority of dealers are, as you call it "acceptable".

Just what do you mean by "acceptable"?!

I will have you know i take great pride in seeing that report and knowing that i had something to do with it.  I dont know where you live or how many P-B-G dealers you have been in for that matter, but I ussure you that majority of dealers are, as you call it "acceptable".

171575[/snapback]

haha, I work at a Chevrolet Dealership that has the 5th Highest Chevrolet CSI score in the country, and to boot, we are one of GM's largest volume dealership...

I know ours is acceptable...

but I wouldnt put to much effort into looking at CSI scores...

:stupid:

170002[/snapback]

Evok's got a point.....

It's the SAME thing as, for example, Lexus doing so well in J.D. Powers Initial Quality.....(Lexus owners being SO proud of their new Asian luxury brand....they would NEVER report any problems with it even if they had some...)

Younger buyers also tend to be way more critical than older buyers.

Suzuki, Kia, and Hyundai used to get DOGGED in the surveys....because they were bad cars? Not likely....but a vast majority of people that bought new Suzukis, Kias, and Hyundais did so because it was the only thing the dealer could get them into because of bad credit, etc. SO...you WANTED a Camry...but ended up with a Suzuki Forenza. So you're pissed. So you rip it in a survey.

The quality surveys are only as accurate as the truthfulness and the demographics of the people responding to them.

That's something neither J.D. Powers, nor the manufacturers, nor the dealers can control.

As YOUR OLDER driver, I definitely resent your comments toward what I would call the most hard to please clientel out there.

It is the younger generation who will accept anything that comes along!

:pbjtime:

171299[/snapback]

Wrong-o....my experience (working AT dealerships) is that younger people ARE the harder to please.

This generation has way higher expectations in all aspects of life and that transfers down to the vehicles they own and drive.

I think another contributor is vehicle ownership experience. The older a person is, the more likely they are to have multiple new car experiences. A first time new car buyer will be much more likely to have their vehicle serviced for a minor issue, while a more seasoned buyer may wait until a larger problem arises. A multi-new car buyer will realize the majority of the time a car is brought in for service, especially for minor announces, the issue will not be repaired. -Based solely on my own experiences.....

If you are not at a dealer you do not have the opportunity to be dissatisfied with the service. Therefore, you are less likely to give an unsatisfactory response on a survey. The satisfaction of car itself, that is another matter.

Wrong-o....my experience (working AT dealerships) is that younger people ARE the harder to please.

This generation has way higher expectations in all aspects of life and that transfers down to the vehicles they own and drive.

171644[/snapback]

younger people are harder to please because they have the whole 'peer presure' thing going on.. if i get this, what will my friends think...

lol i've actually lost a few friends over their vehicle choices...

haha

Yeah- a huge one:

>>"2000 Data - ABA...

2005 Data - ABA..."<<

There's no way this is accurate. It may be all we have to go on, but that doesn't mean it's accurate. Chrysler --post-300 mind you-- went from 47 to 56?? mercedes went from 45 to 58??? 58?? DCX is dying on it's feet if this were true!

There's other issues with the data:

Merc: 905, Merc ABA: 55

Linc: 906, Linc ABA: 63

If age were the primary factor, those two score's would be much farther apart, therefore, I fail to see the corrolation with the theory.

I can smell the statistical invalidity from here...

171347[/snapback]

No I suspect is has more to with with J.D. Power's dealer survey methodology. It is elluded to in the PR statements how points are tallied.

Bottom line: it's not reliable data.

171961[/snapback]

And you base that off what exactly.

Because you disagree with the JD Studies you blow them off - You are full of &#036;h&#33; balthazar. Really - sorry it might not be the best data - but it sure is better than your uneducated opinion. You never even gave a reason to blow off the data. That BS does not fly with me. Back it up with something defendible.

Going to tell me the sky is not blue also. Give me break.

Edited by evok