The worst American cars of 2006

avant1963

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13939015/

I know there are a lot of "import" media apologizers, but if this just isn't the kick in the balls to the Domestics.

Just to prove that the imports do not have bad cars, Forbes brings you the Worst American cars. For this article, the media has no problem with making the distinction between American cars and those built in America, "we mean vehicles built by American brands and sold here, not cars that are built by foreign companies in the U.S." The Camry is all American if you listen to Toyota and CR, but in this instance, whoops, only cars manufactured by American companies need only apply.

Twisted logic: One of the worst is the Dodge Sprinter Van, a cargo van designed by Mercedes Benz for the European market. There's an ALL AMERICAN CAR right there. Those damn Americans. And to make it worse, it is only on the list because it's an "American Car With Worst Predicted Depreciation". It's an EFFIN panel van used by businesses, of course it can't hold its value - 90% are beat to $h! becuase that's what they are purchased for!

This slide show should be called "The War on Brains: For rich people who need more confirmation that their overpriced Lexus was the best choice".

Should we take solace and say this is balanced media (as balanced as Falafel O'Reily) because they start a pure negative article with "Corvettes and Cadillacs demonstrate that American carmakers are building the best vehicles they have ever built." Oh, thanks mister Forbes writer for picking a few Domestics that you may like before making a horribly thought-out slide show on all other domestic cars.

And what makes it all worthwhile is that they use the bull$h! scribbled on the pages of Consumer Reports as their holy bible. Yes the last bastion of truth and justice and fairness in the world. I'm sure CR couldn't find 10 imports that they would dare call "worse".

And this list is not about the worse cars that "fall apart" in your hand, it's about gas mileage, depreciation and eco-friendliness. (And keep in mind, a lot of them are used in PROFESSIONAL jobs. Without the big trucks from GM Ford and DCX, how pray-tell do you expect you would get that four car garage built to keep your 13 mpg Lexus LX out of the elements?) And it's also about picking those vehciles that are on life-support like Ford's Panthers, the bad GM minivans and the over the hill Ranger.

I’m sure the mainstream media-lovers will come to defend this article as just another “conspiracy theory” , but I don’t call them out that often. And if there was a companion story called “The Worst Imported Cars of 2006” I’d shut up. I checked Forbes Autos and saw nothing like that, and why would it; that would only be fair and balanced reporting and in today’s Tabloid-ified mainstream news media, when they say your getting all sides of the story, you can rest assured that you're not.

Fire away!

Posted Image

American Car With Worst Predicted Depreciation

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Least Environmentally Friendly American Car

Posted Image

Least Fuel-Efficient American Car

Posted Image

Least Fuel-Efficient American Car

Posted Image

Least Reliable American Car

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Least Safe American Car

Posted Image

Least Satisfying American Car

Not sure that depreciation matters as much to people as some may think.

The Sprinter is a little ridiculous on that list.

Other than that, they are picking on some pretty crappy cars. The U-vans need to go. NOW. Just don't have a van, rather than making CRAP. The Dodge 4.7L getting 11/13 mpg is pretty embarassing.

Strangely, I'm not seeing the Milan or Town and Country in the article, yet you obviously pulled the pictures from somewhere... :unsure:

yeah, I saw this article and it's complete hogwash! They literally cherry picked the data they wanted. They didn't even use the same source for each catagory.

Each and every manufacture sent letters/emails of protest only to be dismissed by the authors. this article devalues the paper it was printed on by $1 a sheet.

Forbes is a rag that gives Jerry Flintstone precious space to ramble & drool; no one reads Forbes for automotive news or insight.

That said, I'd like to vomit for 30 minutes straight on the author/editor of this toilet paper article.

>>"There's no such thing as media bias."<< Right.

>>"There's no such thing as media bias."<< Right.

169296[/snapback]

i see it as process of elimination. you gotta talk about something, but you dont want to be biting the hand that feeds you either.

all with a grain of salt...wonder if they plan on giving the awards for the "worst"

japanese cars/trucks/anything with wheels we feel deserves an award.

wanna play fair? pony up.

The Sprinter is a little ridiculous on that list.

I had a short conversation with a salesman today about the Sprinter.

Him: They are all 30K or more.

Me: That's a lot of money for a cargo van

Him: It's gonna last three times as long as your Chevy cargo van

Me: It's gonna last 45 years? :rolleyes:

Guest YellowJacket894

Yes, American Media, just kill our goddam economy why don't you by making more brainless morons defect to Toyota.

Right now, I'm thinking of a theme song for our media and all I can think of would be AC/DC's "Money Talks." Money most certainly does talk; smooth and sweet with not a single word of truth -- just like a rabid Toyota salesman, PR representative, or executive.

Edited by YellowJacket894

The fact that they did it simply by one category is rediculous. The whole context of the article is even more rediculous, as stated above.

Where's the Taurus? It's might not be the worst at any one thing, but it's pretty damn bad.

The Grand Prix has no place on the list; there are plenty of cars worse than it.

I'm curious, what's the difference between "least environmentally friendly" and "least fuel efficient"? I always thought that they were one in the same?

But to be fair, we should come up with a list for the "Worst Japanese", "Worst Korean", and "Worst European" cars. I don't like them singling out the Americans.

[Grande rant]

This list is more Forbes bull&#036;h&#33;.

We tracked down the domestic vehicles that have the lowest gas mileage, do the poorest job of holding their value, have the lowest safety ratings, have the worst predicted reliability, have the lowest percentage of satisfied owners, and get the worst U.S. Environmental Protection Agency air-pollution and greenhouse-gas scores.

Congratulations, assholes, anyone with access to a computer can do the same thing. Don't make it sound like you're locating Atlantis.

Posted Image

Consumer Reports predicts the Dodge Sprinter has the worst depreciation? Who the f@#k cares? Its a fleet vehicle companies buy to do work (you know that word, Forbes editors - work? Its something you obviously don't do behind a desk), not to trade in every three years when the new Sprinter comes out with different 15" steel wheels.

Posted Image

Consumer Reports predicts the Crown Vic has the worst depreciation? Who the f@#k cares? Its a fleet vehicle mainly sold to livery companies and police agencies. You think any of them are worried about how much they're worth in five years. Take a guess - NOTHING! First, its a f@#king government vehicle, so its all a writeoff anyway. Second, many of Vics out there are f@#ked up after their usage anyway. Let me check my Kelley Blue Book...hmmm Heavy Duty Suspension - add $200...Broken Heavy Duty Suspension - subtract $2000...Excessive Mileage - subtract $1500. How much is a cab worth? And where oh where can you find a retail Crown Victoria? The largest Ford dealership on the west coast of Florida has four...FOUR.

Posted Image

Consumer Reports predicts the Grand Marquis has the worst depreciation? Who the f@#k cares? Does Consumer Reports realize the vast majority of Grand Marquis buyers trade them in on another Grand Marquis? Older folks usually purchase instead of lease anyway, and for many this is their last car. When you're dead, one of the last things you care about is how much your five year-old Mercury is worth.

Posted Image

Does Forbes realize 'Worst' has a quantitative value of ONE? How can four cars simultaneously be the worst? How about 'among the worst'? Nice writing skills. In any case, how does simply have poor price retention make a car completely bad? Answer - it doesn't.

Posted Image

Least Environmentally Friendly American Car

You go out to lunch with friends or coworkers. They say, "Oh, you've driven alot lately. Let me drive. Besides, I want to show you my new car!" You stroll out to the parking lot and its a shiny 2006 Econoline. How often has that happened? Why? Because an Econoline is not typically a single-occupant vehicle. You know what's less envrionmentally-friendly than an Econoline? A transit bus and a Mack truck. But you can fit 40 people on a transit bus and you can haul a &#036;h&#33;load with a Mack truck, so it sort of balances out the 8mpg. Guess what? Same deal when you fit 15 people into an Econoline to go to the airport Marriott or carry a crapload of boxes. And here's some math, Forbes, which is better...?

A 13mpg Econoline with 14 passengers driving 30 miles

-or-

12 Priuses with one occupant each driving 30 miles.

You can borrow my Casio for that one.

Posted Image

Again, 'least' indicates 'one.' And is it really necessary to show four pictures of the same van? Also, Consumer Reports, which generally avoids opinionated reviews, complains on its Web site . HAHAHAHAH. CR avoids opinions? Bull&#036;h&#33;. Get out and read more, Forbes.com.

Posted Image

Least Satisfying American Car

Least satisfying? What the f@#k kind of unsubstantiated esoteric bull&#036;h&#33; is this?

That's it. This is just too much crap.

[/Grande rant]

"Consumer Reports, which generally avoids opinionated reviews..."

Um...

"An EPA spokeswoman says the agency does not consider alternative-fuel vehicles in selecting the most and least fuel-efficient vehicles. We, however, do not see why ethanol-powered cars would not be fair game for the list."

Uh...

Wow.

There's a few things that PISSED me off about this when I heard the

list on the radio today. Where's the list of the 1o worst JAPANESE cars?!

The Sprinter is NOT American... it's freekin' Mercedes for christ's sake!!!

There's a few things that PISSED me off about this when I heard the

list on the radio today. Where's the list of the 1o worst JAPANESE cars?!

The Sprinter is NOT American... it's freekin' Mercedes for christ's sake!!!

169362[/snapback]

Very true, it is a great van though, I use one at work (UPS), it burns very little fuel, probably as much as a 4 cyl car. I like the electrical glitches I get from time to time, however it does handle the daily abuse of a UPS driver.

So true about those GM minivans. I was helping someone check a Saturn Relay out. Went to release the rear seat back and the release tab just busted off in my hand. Some of the brandnew vans in the lot already had rust/discoloration on the side rub strip(it has a shiny insert). Top of sliding doors having mysterious shallow dents for no reason...dealer said it was some engineering flaw.

GM needs to scrap these vans soon.

dealer said it was some engineering flaw.

169703[/snapback]

The entire van is an engineering flaw... it was such a cost-saving redesign job, they basically took the '96 vans and slabbed on a new nose... you should come up here, to Canada and see the short-wheel base ones they sell to us... disgusting!

I heard this article talked about on the radio this morning. I just got done emailing them with a relatively objective answer to it. I await a reply. :P

Seriously, though, I find it amusing that a magazine that caters to wealthy people would have an article like this. These are not the cars their target audience would be considering so what's the point except to belittle people who might have or dirve these. Its also a disservice to someone who maintains a fleet, seeing a vehicle that would definately serve their purpose on this list.

Seriously, though, I find it amusing that a magazine that caters to wealthy people would have an article like this. These are not the cars their target audience would be considering so what's the point except to belittle people who might have or dirve these.

170594[/snapback]

Very true... How about a list of the 10 worst Rolls Royces & Lexuses ever made?

Let's test drive an 07 Cadillac DTS versus an 07 Bentley and see the exact

differance lbs.-per-lbs. and $-per-$. You want to talk about getting fu*&ed out

of your hard earned money? Some of these exotic/ultra-luxury cars are a

worse value than a 1972 Pinto.

Edited by Sixty8panther

ok yes some desevre to be on a Bad Cars list ut why only American?

the Sprinters are a decent fleet van. Along with the ford Econoline.

But you dont buy a Ranger to get satisfaction. You buy it since its a good price for a little truck that gets good gas milage. I do Love Rangers. there the perfect size for the city and some 2 track trails.

This list is Really RUBISH!

Very true... How about a list of the 10 worst Rolls Royces & Lexuses ever made?

Let's test drive an 07 Cadillac DTS versus an 07 Bentley and see the exact

differance lbs.-per-lbs. and $-per-$. You want to talk about getting fu*&ed out

of your hard earned money? Some of these exotic/ultra-luxury cars are a

worse value than a 1972 Pinto.

170624[/snapback]

Please tell me that you aren't seriously trying to compare a FWD DTS with the new Bentley Continental Flying Spur.....?

:huh:

Please tell me that you aren't seriously trying to compare a FWD DTS with the new Bentley Continental Flying Spur.....?

That's not what he said; he said value- for the money spent, the bentley is a major disappointment. Look at the interiors. The convert costs $360K, looks like maybe $75K hope the other $285 is in matching luggage in the trunk. $285K for a badge is rape & robbery rolled together with a sound bitch-slappin'.

That's not what he said; he said value- for the money spent, the bentley is a major disappointment. Look at the interiors. The convert costs $360K, looks like maybe $75K hope the other $285 is in matching luggage in the trunk. $285K for a badge is rape & robbery rolled together with a sound bitch-slappin'.

173703[/snapback]

Value-for-the-money-spent is all relative.

There's a reason people will spend that kind of money on a Bentley (or Rolls, or Maybach, or Ferrari, etc.)

People (of course) aren't comparing a $285K Bentley Mulsanne cabriolet with a Cadillac. In fact, people aren't cross-shopping these with most cars. People spending that kind of cash are buying a luxury.....to them, automobiles are not a necessity. People buy these kinds of cars like they buy boats, planes, and other luxury lifestyle purchases.

AND....the "old" Bentleys may be dated.....but you can't argue about how much the craftsmanship and quality of the leathers, carpets, and woods add to the appeal of the vehicle.

>>"There's a reason people will spend that kind of money on a Bentley (or Rolls, or Maybach, or Ferrari, etc.)"<<

Common sense isn't one of them, nor is a realistic idea of value. But sure.

And yes; nice leather & wood adds to the vehicle's "value", but of course it can never add even $75K to the price of an already $75K car.

What does the roughly $200K portion of the bentley's tag tangibly deliver? Anybody know??