6 Overrated Cars

VenSeattle

6 Overrated Cars

By Thomas Bey

Automotive Correspondent - Every other Friday

We couldn't leave “not good enough” alone. We have dared to question the validity of the rank of several cars among their peers. The reputations of the vehicles, we felt, are greater than the actual products. Our views offended a few sensibilities, but we felt the story needed to be told. Think Friends on four wheels.

Rides making our overrated list are based on any number of reasons, which means it can be performance or design related, or both. Either way, we'll tell you why. All vehicles listed are 2006 models... Link to article.

1 - BMW 3-Series

Our beef: Price and misapplied prestige

2 - Dodge Durango

Our beef: So many others do it so much better

3 - Dodge Viper SRT 10

Our beef: It's lost its design edge

4 - Porsche Cayenne

Our beef: Tarnishes the brand

5 - Land Rover Range Rover

Our beef: The second-mortgage maintenance bills

6 - Toyota Prius

Our beef: The mileage is less than advertised

Why does the Durango exist, anyway? The Grand Cherokee is so much nicer of a vehicle. The Durango just has that FUGLY, over the top Dodge styling - why make a cheap plastic grille 3 feet high when you get make it 3 feet high?

My opinion of the BMW 3 series has been told here already: it's the perfect car for those who think they've arrived.

The 3-series has lost its magic... but I don't think it deserves the no.1 spot.

That should go to the Prius the official car of self loathing yuppies & snobby

celebrities. The Viper is a car I stopped liking about 0.05 seconds after the

2001 Corvette Zo6 came out but it's still cool to know it exists.

The Cayenne & LR RR are absolute shoe-ins for this award! :yes:

Replace Viper with the 300/Charger/Magnum.

166801[/snapback]

HUH? :blink:

HUH?  :blink:

166846[/snapback]

The 300 (especially) is overrated in terms of design, luxury, and 'hipness.' Its a box with a waffle iron on the front and a lousy interior inside. Sure, it has the Hemi, but so does that Charger and the Charger isn't saddled with the Briggs & Straton 2.7l on its base trim. Also, the Charger is cheaper with more standard features versus a base 300.

The 300 (especially) is overrated in terms of design, luxury, and 'hipness.' Its a box with a waffle iron on the front and a lousy interior inside. Sure, it has the Hemi, but so does that Charger and the Charger isn't saddled with the Briggs & Straton 2.7l on its base trim. Also, the Charger is cheaper with more standard features versus a base 300.

166850[/snapback]

Ah and an early 1990's Infiniti Q45 is a Ford Taurus with George Bush's cowboy belt buckle glued to the hood.

Edited by evok

How about we make a C&G top 10 overrated cars and underrated cars....

though I predict now that all 10 underrated cars will be GMs.

166859[/snapback]

I can not think of 1 GM car that is underrated.

Edited by evok

I can not think of 1 GM car that is underrated.

166861[/snapback]

I'd disagree with that, but just barely...

My take: This list is OK, but....

the 3-series isn't overrated, it's owners are...and I can't blame the car itself for that. It's still a premium ride & you pays a premium for that...

I didn't know the Durango was rated so highly as to qualify as 'overrated'

The RR is unique and, at the extremes, a very functional vehicle. I just don't know too many people who actually need that level of functionality.

Cayenne isn't overrated, I think most enthusiasts know its an abomination

My list would replace those 4 with:

MB CLK....its a C-class hatch with a trunk...for $20k more....that's nucking futs.

Toyota Camry...its an appliance. How can a maytag with 4 wheels get so much good press?

Mazda RX-8- ask any owner who has become best friends with his local Jiffy Lube

BMW 6-series- The ugliest manifestation of Bangle-butt, combined with a sumo-like weight and no real performance advantage over the more useful 5...

Finally, someone speaks the truth about the 3 Series.  I disagree about the Rover, though.

166843[/snapback]

I think the 3-Series is the furthest thing from overrated. It's still the best-driving car in it's class and in it's price range...and it still has a quality look and feel throughout.

The Durango I don't think was ever that highly-rated to begin with....so how can it be "over"rated?

I would replace the LRRR with the LR3. I think the LR3 is THE most overrated Land Rover product. It's got an incredibly cheap interior and it's way overweight. At least the Range Rover gives you a sembelance of luxury and quality.

I don't know if Cayenne is overrated.....I think it's probably a very capable SUV. I just think its UGLY and I don't think it fits in Porsche's lineup.

166850[/snapback]

Well.....exterior styling is subjective. However, I continue to be befuddled of how you can call the 300's interior "lousy." The plastics are far better than what you'll find inside an STS or CTS....and the overall interior has way more of a sense of occasion with the gauges, tortoise-shell "woodgrain" trim, two-tone interiors with contrasting light and dark shades, and the spare use of chrome trim accents.

The 2.7 litre is a decent engine. it's 190hp is more than competitive for the size of the engine....and it's still a decently smooth motor. If it's a bit overtaxed in the 300, well then that's the 300's almost-4,000 lb curb weight that's at fault.....

Many many vehicles, with supposedly 'premium' or even 'class-leading' reputations have utterly failed to impress me or live up to the hype surrounding them.

I don't see the Durango being on the list, nevermind #2, and having just seen the show all about the Viper vs. the GT, I have to completely disagree about the Viper; still a kick-ass exotic. I prefer the 1st gen but the 2nd is still edgy as hell.

I would vote for a given random ferrari to be included...

Ah and an early 1990's Infiniti Q45 is a Ford Taurus with George Bush's cowboy belt buckle glued to the hood.

166851[/snapback]

True, it's not relevant to the thread but yeah, the 1990-93 Q45 is pretty

silly looking in the nose.

Well.....exterior styling is subjective.  However, I continue to be befuddled of how you can call the 300's interior "lousy."  The plastics are far better than what you'll find inside an STS or CTS....and the overall interior has way more of a sense of occasion with the gauges, tortoise-shell "woodgrain" trim, two-tone interiors with contrasting light and dark shades, and the spare use of chrome trim accents.

The overall blockiness and vast empty spaces turn me off. A luxury car of the 300s acclaimed lineage should include alot more authentic detailing rather than a huge patch of metal trim, a throwaway round analog clock (what car doesn't have one?), and cheesy fake door handle wood. You mentioned the tortiseshell steering wheel trim. Everyone has. The fact that its probably the single most oft-mentioned aspect of the 300s interior design says volumes to me.

As a car in general, its a fine interior, but again, this is in relation to overratedness. Its a solid B, not the A people want to give it, IMO.

The 2.7 litre is a decent engine.  it's 190hp is more than competitive for the size of the engine....and it's still a decently smooth motor.  If it's a bit overtaxed in the 300, well then that's the 300's almost-4,000 lb curb weight that's at fault.....

166895[/snapback]

190hp may be fine for 2.7l of engine, but so what? 200hp from the Acura TSX's 4-cyl mill is great in and of itself, but put it in a DeVille and be lucky if you can idle with the a/c on. As you yourself said, its not appropriate for a car that large. Chrysler should know this from the previous LH cars. Again, this is in the area of overratedness and I think the entire base 300 as it exists knocks the whole line down a notch. Bam.

People act like the 300 is the Second Coming, yet the same attention isn't lauded on the superior Charger. Identical platform it may share, but the execution is better. Dodge promises you attitude, brutishness, and a little bit of trash and dishes it out in copious amounts, even in the base Charger SE which - again - undercuts the base 300 while delivering more for the money in power, equipment, etc.

Chrysler promises you, well, "The Refinement of Presence" for $24.5k. Last time I checked, that didn't consist of wheelcovers, a hood prop, 4-speaker stereo, and a 190hp gutless wonder under the hood. 'Refinement' costs you another $4,000 for the 300 Touring. Or, for $26k, you can get 'refinement' over at your Buick store. For that $24.5k, you don't get a 300; you get a Newport with a 300 badge...at best.

Overpromise and underdeliver. That's the definition of overrated.

Now, if Dodge/Plymouth would carry the POS base model while the 300 starts out with the Touring trim, it wouldn't be as overrated.

The overall blockiness and vast empty spaces turn me off. A luxury car of the 300s acclaimed lineage should include alot more authentic detailing rather than a huge patch of metal trim, a throwaway round analog clock (what car doesn't have one?), and cheesy fake door handle wood. You mentioned the tortiseshell steering wheel trim. Everyone has. The fact that its probably the single most oft-mentioned aspect of the 300s interior design says volumes to me.

As a car in general, its a fine interior, but again, this is in relation to overratedness. Its a solid B, not the A people want to give it, IMO.

190hp may be fine for 2.7l of engine, but so what? 200hp from the Acura TSX's 4-cyl mill is great in and of itself, but put it in a DeVille and be lucky if you can idle with the a/c on. As you yourself said, its not appropriate for a car that large. Chrysler should know this from the previous LH cars. Again, this is in the area of overratedness and I think the entire base 300 as it exists knocks the whole line down a notch. Bam.

People act like the 300 is the Second Coming, yet the same attention isn't lauded on the superior Charger. Identical platform it may share, but the execution is better. Dodge promises you attitude, brutishness, and a little bit of trash and dishes it out in copious amounts, even in the base Charger SE which - again - undercuts the base 300 while delivering more for the money in power, equipment, etc.

Chrysler promises you, well, "The Refinement of Presence" for $24.5k. Last time I checked, that didn't consist of wheelcovers, a hood prop, 4-speaker stereo, and a 190hp gutless wonder under the hood. 'Refinement' costs you another $4,000 for the 300 Touring. Or, for $26k, you can get 'refinement' over at your Buick store. For that $24.5k, you don't get a 300; you get a Newport with a 300 badge...at best.

Now, if Dodge/Plymouth would carry the POS base model while the 300 starts out with the Touring trim, it wouldn't be as overrated.

166959[/snapback]

Are you kidding? The only thing I'd concede is that the 300 (in base form) doesn't match the hype....but what vehicle could?

It's singlehandedly put Chrysler back on the map....period. See a Chrysler in DUB magazine before the 300?

It's a runaway success and a target that every single manufacturer has an eye on. Perhaps you know something more than the execs at Ford, GM, Hyundai, Nissan & DCX. Each one of these manufacturers are trying to find their '300'...mining history and extending brands to get in the mid-priced RWD game.

Could anything match the hype? Of course not. It's still a stroke of genius and the whole LX line will be in biz journals and car shows in 20 years. How many other products can you say that about, in any industry?

Are you kidding? The only thing I'd concede is that the 300 (in base form) doesn't match the hype....but what vehicle could?

166963[/snapback]

The base model is a significant part of what I say because it seems the vast majority of the ones out there are either base 300s or Great American 300s, which is simply a base with slightly more decent equipment.

Again, I don't understand how within the ranks of Chrysler, its possible to have a Dodge model be cheaper yet more equipped than a Chrysler model of the same car. It eludes common sense. Its easy to have the entire 300 series match the hype - give the decontented trim to Dodge. Done, next chapter.

It seems as if the aura of this car exceeds the car itself. Explain the mediocre base model and the inconsistant equipment level. Again, speaking in term solely of overratedness, I feel the car doesn't deliver.

I agree its significant, but again, because of what it represents, not the car itself. Let me say it this way: if there were already midpriced RWD sedans that aren't livery fodder (Ford), the 300 wouldn't mean as much. I truly believe the follow-on models by Chrysler's competitors will far exceed the existing 300, especially in design. One merely has to look to the Charger to see a more consistant, thoughtful styling result.

166850[/snapback]

briggs and stratton LOL!

the 300 will be the poster child car for how quickly automotive fads change. cars will soon be like clothing. new styles every year.

i also agree with fly... 300 was real nice at first but then sort of got old within a week...

i dont agree on the part about the charger tho... sure its well equipped and whatever... but the fluid consistent design... is a really overexaggerated attempt at an aggressive sport sedan that they came up just short of acheiving... ive been in an R/T... and it sucked... you floor it and hear lots of great noises from the "HEMI" but feel nothing... suspension is too floaty for the "sport" sedan...

im also still firm in the belief that the LX triplets are merely clones of each other with some dress up parts thrown on to "differentiate" them...

the avenger/sebring twins dont look two promising in the way of getting away from the design themes of the LXs either...

im not too happy with DCX these days...

i also agree with fly... 300 was real nice at first but then sort of got old within a week...

167007[/snapback]

In Chrysler's defense, I can't name many current production vehicle under $40,000 that isn't stale compared to when it debuted other than a few of the sportscars out there. There aren't many.

The Chrysler having less content/higher price compared to the Dodge is just like VW/Audi.

You pay more for an Audi, but price vs. price, that Vee-Dub will generally have more content than the Audi.

I'd take a 300.

I don't find it overrated.

Would you rather have a "horrible" front-drive LH with *whispers- sometimes gorgeous* melted plastic styling instead?

Only a tiny minority who are fans of large FWD sedans with swoopy styling consider the 300 overrated. For those who find the Charger's styling bizarre, the 300C is the only way to get a RWD sedan with a V8 with over 300 hp and indepedent rear suspension for under $40,000. Some of us prefer blocky styling to a lot of curves. But I wouldn't buy a 300C because I think gasoline will be $10/gallon in less than 10 years.

I think all hybrid cars are overrated. There are better ways to get better gas mileage. There was an interesting opinion piece in last week's Automotive News about all the cars available in the early 1980's that easily got over 30 mpg in the city and over 40 mpg on the highway. It's incredible how much small cars have increased in size over the last 20 years.

Edited by ehaase

I don't think the BMW is overrated, hell it is a great drive even though it has a fugly interior.

I might be the only person but I think the Infiniti G35 is overrated. Interior is cheap and the exterior is tired. And with personal experience the quality levels is not up to anywhere near Lexus levels. But the automotive press loves the G35 dirty underwear!!!!

The G35 is an incredible value for the performance offered, and Nissan did a significant mid-season upgrade, and a new one is right around the corner. The BMW 3-Series is one of the best cars out there. I've yet to drive the new version, but the last one was a very satisfying drive and worth the money. Of course, a lot of people buy them just for the name.

The G35 is an incredible value for the performance offered, and Nissan did a significant mid-season upgrade, and a new one is right around the corner.  The BMW 3-Series is one of the best cars out there.  I've yet to drive the new version, but the last one was a very satisfying drive and worth the money.  Of course, a lot of people buy them just for the name.

167156[/snapback]

Yes, the G35 is a good value but that market segment is the toughest out there and the Infiniti comes up short compared to BMW, Lexus and Acura.

Now the next gen G35 will be rocking just like the NG CTS but both current models are not the tops.

Not sure where you are coming from with dissing the F series trucks or the Mustang. Both have a long and venerable history and both pretty much deliver a pretty nice product year after year. Hey, I'm a hard core GM guy but I'll give props where it is due.

I do have to agree that pretty much anything Toymoron puts out is overrated. Nothing in their current lineup does anything for me. Now, if they had still had something like the 90s MR2s (especially the turbo car) I would feel different, and the last generation of MR2 spyders should have been aborted.

The 2000-2004 Mustang was overrated because - damn - it just got old by that point. But that's as far as I'd go. I also prefer even the old Silverado/Sierra to the F-150, but the F-150 is a very respectable truck and isn't hyped as much as say, the Titan. Damn, was that thing overrated by everyone.

The last generation of Mustang was not my favorite, either but I don't think it was really overrated by most people.

I've never been one for the harsher angles those Mustangs had, prefering the styiling that started in 94.

But, hey at least it wasn't the 74 Cobra II, now that was an overrated Mustang, even being named "Car of the Year."

166959[/snapback]

What he said.

If the base models of the 300 were a Plymouth Gran Fury, it would give some prestige back to the 300.

Again, I don't understand how within the ranks of Chrysler, its possible to have a Dodge model be cheaper yet more equipped than a Chrysler model of the same car. It eludes common sense. Its easy to have the entire 300 series match the hype - give the decontented trim to Dodge. Done, next chapter.

166976[/snapback]

For the same reason you can get a Chrysler Voyager.

Chrysler, in their infinite wisdom decided that the parts of plymouth they were going to keep around would be badged Chrysler instead of Dodge.

It doesn't make sense, they really should have just kept Plymouth.... It's not like the cars ended up at different dealers or anything.

The base 300 exists for all the people who love the look but can't afford a $30k car. It has a purpose, though it may seem a bit incongruous to the brand. I wouldn't have an LX with the 2.7L, however. I saw a nice 300 Touring this evening when I walked out of the grocery store. Light Jade, very clean. I've always admired the 300's design. The Charger took longer to grow on me, but now I see it as a truly great American car, and a great value. They are a hell of a benchmark to meet, but of course I have faith in GM's ability, and I have hopes for Ford's.

Imagine a Plymouth Fury LX... suhweet.

Edited by ocnblu

The base model is a significant part of what I say because it seems the vast majority of the ones out there are either base 300s or Great American 300s, which is simply a base with slightly more decent equipment.

166976[/snapback]

You are quite wrong.

The volume 300 is the 3.5L Touring model with leather.....and a quick scan through inventories at several local-area Chrysler stores (online) shows very few base model 300s.

In fact, I don't know if this is STILL true, but earlier in the 300's lifespan, the HEMI 300C accounted for almost 50% penetration in the 300 lineup.

Maybe it's different where you are....but I never see a base 300 unless it has a rental bar code in the rear window.

I don't think the BMW is overrated, hell it is a great drive even though it has a fugly interior.

I might be the only person but I think the Infiniti G35 is overrated.  Interior is cheap and the exterior is tired.  And with personal experience the quality levels is not up to anywhere near Lexus levels.  But the automotive press loves the G35 dirty underwear!!!!

167119[/snapback]

I think G35 is WAY overrated.

I've never had any excitement for that car......and I even spent 3-4 days in one as a rental (it was in Hertz' premier selection group and I happened to be upgraded to it.)

As critical as everyone (including me) has been on the CTS interior, I like the Caddy's fit-and-finish and materials better than the Infiniti's any day.

Maybe it's different where you are....but I never see a base 300 unless it has a rental bar code in the rear window.

167889[/snapback]

My daily visuals show a good number of base 300s, followed by Tourings, and 300Cs in that order. You can rent anything around here, so I'd assume a fairly even mix of rentals. And, yes, I have seen Hemi rentals.

Dodge Durango, for price-to-value and passenger/cargo room, is why if in the market, is what I would get if I were shopping for a large (truck-based) SUV-the Tahoe is just same-old (and its an old, stale formula, IMO), but Durango has some edge, is a better value than the mid-size TrailBlazer or Grand Cherokee, and of course, in most forms (unless you got suckered to buy the weaker V-6 or weak 4.7-liter V-8), has a HEMI. That, is why Durango exists-because otherwise there would be no large SUV at the Chrysler Group. I've always thought a cramped, overpriced, understyled (less so now) BMW 3-Series has been one of the most overrated cars as well. I think the Chrysler 300 has a nice interior, otherwise its under-equipped in top forms (i.e. why does only the C get the HEMI or any V-8 in particular?) and it has very bland exterior styling, just like a Chevy Malibu.

Also, I agree-Chrysler desperately needs to ditch the 2.7-liter V-6 engine (period) and any sub-Touring model. Chrysler needs to get back upscale, and so does Dodge. In other words, ditch boring wheel covers, black bodyside moldings or door handles (unless its an ST-trim Dodge truck), and make more options available.