Grr Arg...

the_yellow_dart

I don't consider myself handy but... this was pretty easy actually. I just put in a window mount air conditioner. I had to take out a fixed pane of glass to do it. I just ripped out some sheilding and pushed on the window, and it came off the caulking and popped right out. I was worried I was going to break it putting it in. The only problem is that I can't find my caulking, or my duct tape, so right now all the air leaks are sealed with scotch tape. Yes, its actually strong enough - 3M makes some good scotch tape, apparently.

So, what else around the house is surprisingly easy? Has anyone else fixed something or installed something that they can give tips on?

While I'm posting this, I might as well also ask about my toilet. It's sometimes not refilling. The float is mounted around a vertical pipe. The pipe has a small plastic arm coming out of the top, which has a small metal arm going down to the float. When the float is low in the tank (low water), it pulls the plastic arm down, filling the tank. Sometimes when it flushes, the float gets stuck around the pipe. If I give the plastic arm a little tap, the float drops and everything goes back to normal. You can't lubricate things underwater - so I can't really stop the float from sticking on the pipe. Maybe if I add some weight to the float? Would that work? How would I add weight to a float that's always underwater?

I fix $h! around the house once in a while but I only do so

when absolutely necessary. Like when we moved in here

& there was no doorknob on the bedroom door and no lock

on the front door inot the hallway... I installed both with

minimal hassle.

Most times though I'd much ratehr be turning wrenches on a

1960s car than fix leaky sinks & patch sheetrock.

TYD--

has the toilet done that "forever"? it just need to be adjusted if possible (fill hieght) or a new ..uh...not sure what they're called unit... sure if you just ask a lowe's or home depot, or a plumbing shop would beable to tell you what you need. if you have the tools, it might take as long as an hour, but might take you just 15 mins if you familiarize yourself w/ the parts...?

edit spelling

Edited by loki

I fix stuff all the time, everywhere. Been in the construction (and excavation) business for 6 years now.

Toilet- if I understand you correctly: Try spraying some WD-40 on the top of the pipe where the metal arm/lever shuts off & on the water. This is where corrosion/scale from hard water gums up the switch (under the arm). The 'donut' float goes down with the water and it's the switch up top that gets stuck, not the float. Making the float heavier is counter-productive.

i think that he means you need WD-40 its a cleaner and not a lubercant you may have put the problem off but raelly as you said you cant lubricate things well underwater so making sure its clean is the way to go and WD-40 will do that

ive built houses remodeled just finished hanging my last door in my house put in a new wall and new pocket doors. done drywall, plumbing, ducting, flooring, trim, shelving, electrical, structural pretty much anything but drafting blueprints to code . . . and ive done drafting of blue prints before

i need to put a new fan in my bathroom, redo the caulk, replace the toilet (its one of the first toilets that was supposed to save water but it sucks and it has an aftersplash when it flushes) i have to repaint my room box in the top of the closet (including building a fram for it) build a new desk, dresser, guitar rack, frames for pictures and build china shelves for my dining room as well as a corner cabinet (floor mounted i still dont like hanging cabinets) put in threshholds and a floating composite wood floor in, rebuild my grandfathers deck, shed, and pour a new base for the shed, i have to grade his lawn and put in a drywell so that it will stop flooding his basement i have to replace his shutters

and i have to find time to change my oil and clean the grout in my shower as well as help my dad put in new tiles (floor and shower walls and shower ceiling) in his bathroom and build a new maple cabinet for his sink and find a showerbase that fits it

and i work 30 hrs a week at starbucks

and im attending college full time

i dont sleep

but im pretty handy?