Engine alternatives for Cobalt

ToniCipriani

Just a thought... GM doesn't have any alternate fuel compact in North America at the moment.

Maybe there should be more engines for the Cobalt, just not running gasoline.

Diesel: The 1.9L CDTI ECOTEC is readily available in Europe in the Astra. I'm sure with some modifications it'll work in NA in a Cobalt. I think it'll go nicely against the Jetta TDI.

E85: The Solstice GXP Drifter uses an E85 2.0L ECOTEC, so I think that means an E85 version of the 2.2L/2.4L engine is possible.

Bi-fuel Natural Gas: The Cavalier used to have it with the 2.2L LN2 and ECOTEC. It wasn't carried over to the Cobalt though.

Hybrid: Maybe it's coming with the BAS system after the Aura and Malibu?

Edited by ToniCipriani

I think something a little bigger than the 1.9 Diesel should be used, but its a good engine and I think it would also work in the Cobalt. As far as a CNG engine, I don't know of anyone around here who would use one, but it would be a good idea. E85 should definitely be offered, although again, down here (Alabama), there's not any E85 pumps that I know of.

i think a 2.0L DI could replace the 2.2 L , would use it in a BAS system too.

the cdti sounds feasible w/ the new low sulfer standard coming.

should upgrade the 2.4L w/ DI asap

turbo optional on the 2.0L if there's no problem w/ that... or it could be s/c and save the turbo for the pontiac/saturn crowd....

I think a diesel would jack up the price too far for most buyers.

The BAS is probably the best option, though it'd be nice if they just got more mileage out of the new Ecotecs, they're supposed to have 1.8 and 2.0L versions with VVT that make as much power as the 2.2 with better mileage.

I guess I just don't like anything under at least a 2.0L cut-off.  Call me a little weird.  I've got no problem with it making sufficient power and making good mileage, I just prefer something 2.0L and larger.

166588[/snapback]

Every time I saw the "0.8" (liters!!) badge on the back of Chery QQs while in China I just couldn't stop laughing.

Edited by the_yellow_dart

What is needed for sure is a base motor that gets at least 28-30 MPG city, to match Civic and Corolla. MPG is #1 now, not zoom zoom.

166614[/snapback]

I don't know if I'd go as far as saying ANY car attribute is #1 - you're always going to sell a car like the Cobalt to lots of different people. That's why I think it's a good idea for them to have an SS Cobalt for some and a diesel base model for others.

I guess I just don't like anything under at least a 2.0L cut-off.  Call me a little weird.  I've got no problem with it making sufficient power and making good mileage, I just prefer something 2.0L and larger.

166588[/snapback]

Would you feel the same way if you were taxed on engine displacement?

If I am not misaken the EU diesls will not pass the 07 US emissions - which is the reason why VW will have no TDI and DCX will have no CRD in the 07 MY ... they all vow to bring it back for 2008 - after tey figure out how to fit under the limits.

If I am not mistaken, Ford is the furthest along getting there. They purchased the recent Diesel EPA patent that slashes emissions to just about a 1/3 of EU levels, and Ford is said to be working with the EU bottom ends developing the heads for US use, but ETA is carefully guarded and thus unknown.

However I still believe that that first domestic or Asian manufacturer that brings out a Diesel in a midsize or compact will have huge PR advantage... a good 4cyl diesel in a Malibu or Fusion would easily dethrone Camry Hybrid.

A small car like Cobalt is perfectly fine with a 1.9l diesel.. look at the porky Rabbit/Jetta - they do just fine with 110hp 1.9l TDI... As a matter of fact.. diesels are realy about MPG, not performance... I would even advocate for 1.8l and Aveo to get 1.3l (or so) diesel.. just make it get 80mpg (not unheard of in Europe) and able to get to 60 in 13seconds.

Igor

Edited by Igor2

Their is no reason in the world that the base 2.2 Ecotec with the mileage friendly 3.63:1 final drive should be rated at only 24/32 in the smaller lighter Cobalt when this same engine and 3.91:1 gears was rated at 24/35 in the bigger Malibu and 23/34 in the bigger/heavier G6 in larger 2.4 displacement. I just don't understand how they derive these figures.

A HS Cobalt would be a waste of money, but a balt' with good MPGs and can run E85 would be a great idea...

168123[/snapback]

A BAS hybrid Cobalt with the 2.4 would NOT be a waste. Better performance, better gas mileage....am I missing the negative here?