Without RSX, Acura loses personality

mustang84

It's official: Driving enthusiasts can now strike Acura off their gotta-have-it lists. Because, following last year's dismissal of its groundbreaking NSX mid-engined sports car, Acura has confirmed that its lively RSX sports coupe has been given the bum's rush as well.

As the last nut and bolt of personality left in Acura's lineup, enthusiasts forgave Acura's marketing gurus for ditching the legendary Integra badge with the more corporate brand-friendly alphanumeric RSX when the car debuted in 2002.

And what's replacing the RSX in Acura showrooms? This summer, Acura will introduce the RDX all-wheel-drive crossover.

Also on the Acura SUV front, a redesigned MDX pops up this fall.

So what are enthusiasts left with when they drop into their friendly neighbourhood Acura store?

For starters, there's a really nice Honda Civic sedan clone called an Acura CSX. Playing with its available racing-inspired paddle shifters may distract you long enough to forget that a five-door version of Volkswagen's new GTI or the Mazdaspeed3 are arriving later this summer.

Next up is Acura's so-called BMW 3 Series fighter, the TSX. It's (again) a really nice Honda sedan, this time a European Accord. However, no coupe, no sports wagon, no sixes - er, no thanks.

Acura calls its next biggest sedan, the TL, a 3 Series fighter as well. It's a really, really nice version of (this time) an American V6 Accord. Loaded with high-tech goodies such as a navigation system and Bluetooth connectivity, it's the choice for those who like the thought of a sports sedan, but without all that nasty business of (God forbid) rear-wheel drive.

Then there's Acura's idea of a luxury sports sedan - the RL. If the ol' memory banks are firing blanks, you're not alone. The last time an Acura flagship was on anyone's radar was the early 1990s. Paula Abdul was a pop star - not judging them - and Acura's largest sedan was known as the Legend. Since then, it seems as if Acura, by sticking with a smallish, front-drive V6 for its flagship sedan, has had its head buried in quicksand by refusing to recognize the rear-wheel-drive V8 Lexus LS as the segment's benchmark. And the new RL introduced last year? A smallish sedan with a V6. But, hey, at least this time it has all-wheel drive.

From a brand that likes to talk the talk with the likes of Audi, BMW, Infiniti and Lexus, Acura has left driving enthusiasts with a lineup of sedans and sport-utility vehicles that simply don't walk the walk. Nice, reliable vehicles, for sure. But they're lacking the passion that's supposed to be part of the value equation of any premium brand. It's what you're paying extra for, right?

Whatever. After the 2006 RSXs have been cleared from dealers' lots, so is the passion from the Acura lineup. That's it, that's all, and thanks for coming out.

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news...c9-054259567815

Apparently this guy doesn't like it when a brand doesn't follow strict guidelines for how it should make its lineup be like everyone else's.

Edit: oohhh, it's from Canada. Haha, I guess it's funny then.

I also like how he complains about each model with one or two sentences with no real explanation as to why he doesn't like them other than what I wrote above.

Edited by siegen

But besides the S200, Honda has no RWD vehicles or platforms. They even had to make their truck FWD...

I wonder if Acura is modelling it's image to align Audi's, one that is primarily FWD or AWD?

Edited by Captainbooyah

They even had to make their truck FWD...

Last time I checked, it was AWD, with no FWD model offered.

I wonder if Acura is modelling it's image to align Audi's, one that is primarily FWD or AWD?

Maybe it's because FWD is sufficient for the majory of buyers, and is more efficient as far as space and drivetrain are concerned. Maybe it's because Honda doesn't care if their cars don't have that "BMW Appeal" that Toyota is trying to so hard to attain. People will buy them because they're reliable, safe, fun to drive (yes, without RWD), confortable, etc etc.

Maybe it's because FWD is sufficient for the majory of buyers, and is more efficient as far as space and drivetrain are concerned. Maybe it's because Honda doesn't care if their cars don't have that "BMW Appeal" that Toyota is trying to so hard to attain. People will buy them because they're reliable, safe, fun to drive (yes, without RWD), confortable, etc etc.

164306[/snapback]

comfortable? yeah I guess...for a sardine can

It's sad, R.I.P. Integra.  The Prelude's already gone.  These were some the best handling FWD cars ever.

164435[/snapback]

Very true, I worked at Honda in 2001 when they had the last model year for the Prelude, very quick, responsive, and one of the few Hondas where you can feel the VTEC after 5500 rpm. On top of that, you can beat these things, and they will still run for 300,000 km.

164306[/snapback]

The problem with the RL is that its lacks distinction. The design is very lackluster in so many regards and it doesn't look like a $50,000 car.

The problem with the RL is that its lacks distinction. The design is very lackluster in so many regards and it doesn't look like a $50,000 car.

164525[/snapback]

For 2007 they're going to change the trim lineup for the RL, and actually give it 3 seperate trim levels, with the base model apparently coming in less than the current. I hope they give it a little facelift while they're at it.

The RL was designed overseas in Japan, where they tend to be less bold with their design. The TL was designed in America, and it shows in the design. I like the way the RL looks, as it isn't showy. Of course I think it would be better off at about 40k.

For 2007 they're going to change the trim lineup for the RL, and actually give it 3 seperate trim levels, with the base model apparently coming in less than the current. I hope they give it a little facelift while they're at it.

The RL was designed overseas in Japan, where they tend to be less bold with their design. The TL was designed in America, and it shows in the design. I like the way the RL looks, as it isn't showy. Of course I think it would be better off at about 40k.

164632[/snapback]

Too bad for you that the quality of the RL is not very good: http://www.caranddriver.com/longroadtests/...5-acura-rl.html

Mark

Too bad for you that the quality of the RL is not very good: http://www.caranddriver.com/longroadtests/...5-acura-rl.html

Mark

164656[/snapback]

Too bad for me?

The quality of that RL wasn't very good. Do you think all RL's are like that? They have their share of problems, more than say, a Lexus LS, unfortunately, but I don't think that one is a very good example of an RL's reliability. Checking the Consumer complaints directly, the RL seems to be on par with an STS and others.

Well, here's one opinon to make 'enthusiasts' see red, but it's reality.

The problem is the loyal Honda/Acura boy racers buy used, so they can pay for the yellow paint and noisy exhaust pipes. So, that leaves brand new RSX's sitting and sitting. Where is the so called 'loyalty'?

Teens in loud old Integras, with stickers and hand painted dashes, weaving in and out of traffic is hardly a 'luxury' image.

Also, the author mourns the loss of a FWD car, yet then chastises Acura for not offering RWD??? LOL

Well, here's one opinon to make 'enthusiasts' see red, but it's reality.

The problem is the loyal Honda/Acura boy racers buy used, so they can pay for the yellow paint and noisy exhaust pipes. So, that leaves brand new RSX's sitting and sitting. Where is the so called 'loyalty'?

Teens in loud old Integras, with stickers and hand painted dashes, weaving in and out of traffic is hardly a 'luxury' image.

Also, the author mourns the loss of a FWD car, yet then chastises Acura for not offering RWD??? LOL

164751[/snapback]

True. My parents just picked up an 06 RSX for 20K, all in. That's invoice, folks.

Fun car. & come resale, it'll go, just like their Civic or G20, in about 24hrs.

Guest YellowJacket894

As much as I hate Honda and as much as I dislike front-drive cars, I'll admit I have a small soft spot for the Integra/RSX and Prelude. Especially the Prelude. I've managed to drive one (a 1998) and it handled exceptionally well and the reponses were silky smooth. The styling was typical Honda vanilla, but it's a nice car overall. Too bad Honda's forgotten how to make cars like that.

And as much as I hate and loathe Toyota, I'll admit they're trying to go toe-to-toe with Mercedes, et. al. Acura really is a half-assed effort on Honda's behalf and severly lacks at it's overall mission. (No V8, no rear-drive cars, styling that's either too bland or tries way too hard not to be bland, ricer image.)

Edited by YellowJacket894

Acura seems sort of soulless as a whole.

I only find the TSX and TL to be attractive in the sense that I would like to be seen in.

The RSX has an interior that almost looks like it was plucked out of the 1980's or something.

A rumoured TSX coupe with the next generation would be my choice.

I have to agree, its kinda like I've started to see more and more people agree with me on this one when they come in for parts and I call it exactly what it is, a FAR overpriced Honda. It just seems like whatever heart and soul that Acura had is gone....dunno where it went, but it doggone sure ain't here now.

Basically all Acuras are tarted up Hondas.

RSX=Civic

TSX=Euro Accord

TL= Accord

RL= Japanese Legend

MDX=Pilot

Although I despise Toyota, at least their rear-drive Lexus products are now more distinct from garden variety Toyotas. The new IS doesn't have a counterpart now, as it used to be the Altezza, does it?