Drive-Thrus

ToniCipriani

Back when I was a kid, I thought it was cool and liked it. But since now I drive on my own, it's not that great of an idea actually if you think about it.

When you're waiting in line, you're using your own gas when you keep your engine idle. And at busy hours, it can take long. Not to mention the greenhouse gas that you emit into the environment while you idle (Unless, of course, you're driving an EV1). With gas prices these days, I can imagine how much money I waste from idling in a drive-thru line.

Also, another problem I figured is, if they gave you the wrong stuff or something's missing in your bag, you would have to run back and ask them. Double the worse, if you're half way back home or to work, you're stuck with stuff you didn't want but paid for. I've had that problem almost every time I go through a drive-thru.

But if I just park down and run inside and buy my stuff and run back, I don't see those problems happening. No engine idling, and I get to watch over what I get. Helps my wallet, less hassle, more exercise (from getting out and walking).

The only argument could be convenience during winter. But that's a non-issue actually, since if I'm in my car, I'm usually in my jackets already, so walking outside isn't that bad.

Absolutely. But mostly for fast food, rarely for banking.

The most important thing is that you look at the line ahead of time to see how long it is. If it's ridiculously long, then I won't use one.

Two caveats:

1) I always look at my order when they hand me the bag of food. On a few occasions, they have forgotten the dipping sauce for my chicken nuggets... :hissyfit: and I've had to tell them to pony-up

2) You had better look at the neighborhood and general environment of the drive through. Some people have fallen to attacks or confrontations since you are wedged into a limited space with not much wiggle room. Our controller at work told me that her son was in one of these late of night in a "middle" middle-class part of town and he had a fist come through the window which bloodied him up and caused him to go to ER. So, you have to scope out how it's laid out. Since hearing that story, I'm a little more cautious.

It's been about 7 years since I used one. I hate that loudspeaker thing, and they are not environmentally friendly. I could understand how these things are convenient with parents with young children, though.

I use drive thrus for banking often... since my last job was one of the last places on Earth to not have direct deposit, I would sign my paycheck, put the account number and write "for deposit only" on the back. It was nice to be able to do that at say midnight or 1AM when I'm coming home from a friend's house.

As for fast food, well, not that I eat much of it these days as my trainer would probably kill me, I liked it for bad weather situations, like snow, rain, etc.

I really wouldn't say I'm missing out on the exercise portion, because c'mon, it's like what, 30 steps to and fro? I could argue that I am getting adequate exercise from constantly braking and getting off the brake to move in the drive thru, while my upper body is getting a workout from changing things on the radio (I usually fidget a bit in a drive thru if I'm alone).

As for errors in my order... well, it's extremely rare that I've had an error. But I usually check my order quickly before I drive off. It takes a second and if there's a problem, I can just hand it back.

Tim Horton's coffee drive-thru is quite simple, since all I'm ordering is coffee and donuts. The lineups during peak morning and noon times are rediculous, so if I see an extended line, it's typically followed by a scan of the empty parking lot.

When it's a fast-food lunch or snack, many times I've made a point to pick out the last car in line I would have been behind if I'd have gone in the drive-thru. More often than not, they are still in line by the time I've gone in and out with food in-hand.

Unless you are going to the famous Peter's Drive-In in Calgary on any given weekend, where the line-ups just to get to the walk-up order windows can take half-an hour, the speed of drive-thru isn't what it's cracked up to be. Over there, the drive-thru traffic gets priority. Their street access and exits are tailored for that operation.

Tim Horton's coffee drive-thru

famous Peter's Drive-In in Calgary

164239[/snapback]

Tim Horton's! Damn. I love that place when I'm in Canada. I think their donuts are better than either Winchell's or Dunkin Donuts.

Peter's Drive-In. I'll file that away. I expect to be in Banff/Canadian Rockies next summer.

Edited by trinacriabob

I use them sometimes if there isn't a line...if there are more than 3 cars in line, I'll just go inside. My dad hates drive-thrus, but not for environmental reasons or anything...he just likes to go inside and order so he has more time to decide.

They do come in really handy for winter though...especially on frigid days when the snow is really coming down.

There are cases when the drive-thru is quicker. At Culver's, they seem to get the order ready much faster for drive-thru rather than going inside. The downside is that Culver's isn't exactly quick like McDonald's or BK (about 3-5 minutes to prepare your order), so you waste more gas.

Edited by mustang84

I use them all the time....I love not having to get out of the car, and I check the bag at the window before I drive away....once in a while, they'll mess up the order so bad that I drive back after having left.

I don't really use drive-thrus...

If I'm with a bunch of people then why not, but it's just easier to go inside usually.

Most drive-thrus have the confirmation screen showing that they understand your order and you can confirm everything there. So mistakes aren't the reason.

I have only used a few drive-thrus...Steak 'n Shake and In-N-Out. I don't eat fast food much at all, but when I do it's those two or White Castle (I always go inside though...I like to watch it being made).

On oaccasion I will use the drive-thru at In-N-Out. If I am driving I hate to use the drive-thru...Driving in my car while shifting and trying to eat a double-double is not an easy task...If someone else is driving, then I don't mind. I prefer to go inside though.

I've never had a drive-through screw up my order. Is that really a common concern?

164189[/snapback]

Are you effin' kidding dude??? :o

I can't go a week without getting my order f#%@ed up at McDonalds,

Wendys or B.K. I do not eat Tomatoes... love onions but seem to get

the opposite 25% of the time. :angry:

Tim Horton's!  Damn.  I love that place when I'm in Canada.  I think their donuts are better than either Winchell's or Dunkin Donuts.

Peter's Drive-In.  I'll file that away.  I expect to be in Banff/Canadian Rockies next summer.

164244[/snapback]

Here's your information. The burgers are 'alright'...with a taste that's more backyard BBQ than fast-food excellence (not that you could really use those two together in a sentence). They're better known, locally, for their milkshakes. The extensive flavor menu-board has enough on there to keep you occupied while in line.

http://www.calgaryplus.ca/portal/profile.do?profileID=81320

Are you effin' kidding dude???  :o

I can't go a week without getting my order f#%@ed up at McDonalds,

Wendys or B.K. I do not eat Tomatoes... love onions but seem to get

the opposite 25% of the time. :angry:

164262[/snapback]

I seem to have good luck with McDonald's because they have never screwed up my order yet. Burger King, OTOH, messes it up on every other visit...

I used a drive-thru touchless car wash today... did a decent job, though it's overpriced at $7. Still, it's better than paying $12 for swirl marks (hand wash), $45 for a professional wash, or baking under the 90 degree sun (black cars suck).

Oh.... drive-thru banks, almost forgot that one. I tried it for fun once, then didn't go back. That one is fine, since usually there isn't that much of a line, and you can actually stop your engine while waiting for the guy in front to finish.

But otherwise, I'm still rather against the idea of drive-thru, for the reasons I listed. :)

Hmmm....

Food D-Ts ... no.

Bank D-T ... yes ... only because the bank opens the D-T before the main office ... and I have to stop to get money out before the office hours begin.....

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"I just can't anymore this life of solitude" ... Saliva ... 'Always'

Here's your information.  The burgers are 'alright'...with a taste that's more backyard BBQ than fast-food excellence (not that you could really use those two together in a sentence).  They're better known, locally, for their milkshakes.  The extensive flavor menu-board has enough on there to keep you occupied while in line.

http://www.calgaryplus.ca/portal/profile.do?profileID=81320

164264[/snapback]

How do their shakes compare to Steak 'n Shake? That place is the gem of the midwest.

I used a drive-thru touchless car wash today... did a decent job, though it's overpriced at $7. Still, it's better than paying $12 for swirl marks (hand wash), $45 for a professional wash, or baking under the 90 degree sun (black cars suck).

164279[/snapback]

Key word: touchless...

After avoiding them for like a half decade I tried a local drive-thru

carwash again recently with the Q45... the car got so freekin'

scratched up I can't even tell you. There must have been a pound

of sand trapped in those bristles.

When it comes to washing my car it's the "do-it-yourself variety".

As far as banking & food however my lifestyle does not allow for

anything other than drive-thru. Untill you've taken a two year old

out of a baby-seat & then put her back into it 15 minutes later at

a local crowded Wendy's parking lot just to try to save a minute or

two you have no idea how cool a drive-thru can be.

The only time I use drive-thrus for food is if I am taking the food somewhere else to eat it, I can't eat and drive. I also prefer going inside to bank, so I do that pretty rarely. Have you guys seen those drive-thru liquor stores? I've seen them in a few places. Now there's a concept. :rolleyes:

Have you guys seen those drive-thru liquor stores?  I've seen them in a few places.  Now there's a concept. :rolleyes:

164470[/snapback]

Yes... go up to Maine & New Hampshire... there's a few. I've seen a

couple in person before. My crack dealer was saying he might be

willing to smash a hole in a local abandoned building to make it

much more convenient to get a fix after robbing a Liquer Store with

my Gat & hooking up with a diseased prostitute....

I just gots to hook him up with a sledge hammer. :P