Ever have this problem?

zhawk

OK, this may seem a strange thing to say at 10:00 AM but I am having a hard time getting to sleep. I work graveshift and Friday mornings are always hard for me to get to sleep since I am thinking about the weekend.

So, here I sit at the computer on my favorite forum, having a beer and some whiskey. Hopefully, this won't last long and I will feel ready for some much needed rest. (Last night was a pain)

Oh yes, and it is random drug testing.

I have been tested both as a civilian and in military status. Good thing too, would you want someone drugged up working on engines, flight contols, and other aircraft systems? Not me.

IMO, as long as you're not stoned at work I see no problem with it. Drug tests will even find what you did on the weekend. I object to that - what I do on the weekend should be my business.

163861[/snapback]

Respectfully, I disagree. I am in too critical a field of work to risk it. Pilots and passengers depend on the quality of work I do. This doesn't include those waiting for the supplies and cargo being delivered. My father worked at 2 of Washington State's mental institutions and I have seen first hand what drugs can do in the long term.

Besides, if Tammy gives me the back and shoulder massage she promised, I will definately be relaxed and fall asleep soon. If not, I may consider taking out on of the ATVs and play.

Besides, if Tammy gives me the back and shoulder massage she promised, I will definately be relaxed and fall asleep soon. If not, I may consider taking out on of the ATVs and play.

163864[/snapback]

You want me to do what? No I dont think so lol.

OK go out & have fun on the ATVs but you get the little one I get the big one.

Then you have to help me get the two cars ready for the show lol

It depends.

If I am really tired and have been working beaucoup overtime, I have no problem falling asleep...and for the whole night.

If I am not that tired and a little anxious, I encounter a split-sleep cycle where I wake up at 3 am and can't fall asleep again, but I usually do at about 5 am.

I have a prescription for this stuff called Ativan. It's cheap. I have a bottle with 30 of them. But it takes me a whole year to go through it, fortunately.

Being unable to sleep sucks.

Sidebar:

Have any of you ever slept at some of the nicer hotels where they have those plump killer beds: Heavenly Bed, Sleep Number, Etc. In that case, I have no trouble getting to sleep and all the trouble in the world wanting to crawl out of bed.

I drop off in under 3 minutes most every night, sleep 5-6 hrs on average, wake up when the alarm goes off.

Back in the day I once took but two 1.5-hours naps in a 5-day stretch of being awake. I had to intentionally make myself go to sleep on the 5th day, then I slept for 14 hours. A year later I stayed awake for 3 days straight with no sleep. Pretty sure I could not do that again.

I finally got to sleep and slept for about 3 hours and woke back up. Which is fine for today since now I should be able to sleep tonight and be awake and alert for the weekend. We've got a car show tomorrow in Tacoma and that should be a nice realxing day.

I don't like taking pills. My wife has to practivally force me to remember to take my vitamins.

Sidebar:

Have any of you ever slept at some of the nicer hotels where they have those plump killer beds: Heavenly Bed, Sleep Number, Etc. In that case, I have no trouble getting to sleep and all the trouble in the world wanting to crawl out of bed.

My last TDY, I went to Vegas and they put us up in a very nice hotel. The bed was extremely comfortable. Strange enough, it was never a problem getting out of bed. I was always on the go when I didn't have to be on base and working. That was a good trip, even though the airplanes had some major issues. Good people turn bad trips into good ones.

I have Extreme Insomnia so I go shopping and stuff at night and get all the chores done it sucks. And I Hope you dont get blazed and fix airplanes.

And there is lots of drug tests when I was in the forces. I got um alot since I have had a past with drugs.

I thought it was hard out there for Airplane mechanics is it? I wanted to fix hydraulics for Navy Aircraft but Uncle sam had other ideas when I was on the rifle range.

caprice, I'm going to be joining the National Guard as soon as I get some things squared away at home and I have a feeling that Uncle Sam might have other plans for me too when I hit the rifle range (wanna be a light-wheeled vehicle mechanic *I'd get to work on anything up to 5-tons* but with my ability to shoot, I might get something else).

Caprice-it can be a royal pain sometimes depending on where you wind up going. Homestation isn't bad and I enjoy the work I do. Some of the deployed locations on the other hand...

Still it is nowhere as bad as what the guys and gals on the front line deal with.

Drinking is for after work. I need my wits about me too much for my job. Since I work as a civilian for the Air Force during the week, I could be fired and I much prefer to be employed.

76ChevyTrucker-The National Guard is a completely different story when it comes to jobs. You will wind up enlisting for a specific position and it is highly improbable that they would change things on you. Most National Guard units are specific as to what they do and they won't make you transfer. The reserves are the same as the guard (except that the guard has to answer to state governement as well as federal). You come in with an assigned job and that is what you wind up doing.