BuddyP

What do you use your SUV for?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What do you use your SUV for?

• Commute only
    • Commute and occational tow/haul
    • Mostly to tow/haul
    • Only to tow/haul

With gas prices and some media bashing of people using SUV's only for single person commutes, I was curious to see how many people use SUV's for those uses.

My vehicle is a Chevy Avalanche. I work at home but have the truck because I pull a 22' enclosed trailer with it. I only put on around 8k-10k per year since I work out of home. When me and the woman go out of town we take her 32mpg Alero. 50% of the miles on my Av are pulling a trailer or using for hauling misc. items. The other 50% of milage is random local commuting. Therefore my catagory is Mostly to tow/haul. If I didn't have the trailer to pull I would have a car in it's place.

Hello, I'm your average Long Islander. I need my SUV to make sure I'm high enough to get a good signal on my cell phone while I drive to the manicurist and park my giant monstrosity in the compact parking spots outside the lines because I can't park my giant SUV because I can't drive it but it doesn't matter because I'm more important than you.

Considering when me and the exwife had our 1991 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4x4 I lived in the snowbelt it's only fitting that it's pointed out thats why we had it, plus do to her height she hated cars and small trucks. Therefore it was used for commuting.

PS: I don't wanna hear none of that you don't need 4WD for the snow crap. When it's really bad out and you NEED to get someplace and housing isn't plowing due to the weather, you NEED 4WD.

We mainly use the 4Runner to drive on the beach in Island Beach State Park in NJ. In winter to haul some firewood and in spring for the lawn/landscaping goodies. We used to have a boat and camping trailer but both are long gone. Hopefully one (or both) will return.

Edit: In winter, snow. And no, not just to feel safe on the roads, if you get where I'm coming from.

Edited by sciguy_0504

Well, our '91 Explorer was used as a daily commuter by my dad. It also was the boat-hauler in the fleet until he managed to blow the torque converter and something else that rendered it incapable of towing for the rest of its life, which was about 10 more years.

I share our Sonoma with my dad as of now, until I get my own car. It's his daily ride. It relieved my mom's Venture of boat duty after we bought it.

I don't think I'd ever own one. I somewhat (term used loosely) like the Rainier for the way it's appointed.

I somewhat (term used not so loosely) hate the Escalade for the jerky guys and bitchy chicks I see behind the wheels of them. Over the 4th of July weekend, I was cut off by at least a handful of Escalades and I was on freeways going at or slightly above the posted limit.

I don't think I'd ever own one.  I somewhat (term used loosely) like the Rainier for the way it's appointed. 

I somewhat (term used not so loosely) hate the Escalade for the jerky guys and bitchy chicks I see behind the wheels of them.  Over the 4th of July weekend, I was cut off by at least a handful of Escalades and I was on freeways going at or slightly above the posted limit.

Hah, Bob, it is impossible for this to not happen to you around DC and Baltimore...I was coming home from my mom's office one day and this Escalade decides that it should be able to go before me at a stop sign, even though it was my turn to go through it. He guns it and almost takes the nose off of the Venture. He stops before he does and I floor it before he can hit me again...first time I've chirped tires in a minivan!

My parents use their minvans (An Astro and Venture) to haul people, dogs, and the stuff needed to update the house. They do get quite a bit of use out of them.

When I had my S10, it helped haul around heavy stuff, and helped friends move.

(seems like it did a lot of that) I myself was surprised how much I used it.

It did like about 40 percent work/60 percent communting.

Hah, Bob, it is impossible for this to not happen to you around DC and Baltimore...I was coming home from my mom's office one day and this Escalade decides that it should be able to go before me at a stop sign, even though it was my turn to go through it. He guns it and almost takes the nose off of the Venture. He stops before he does and I floor it before he can hit me again...first time I've chirped tires in a minivan!

You seem to have all these mishaps with SUV/truck owners...on the road, at Starbucks...just what kind of vibes are you sending out? :AH-HA_wink:

I have to admit, I can't appreciate pavement-pounding SUV's. Even more, I hate the kind all beefed up with enough Lund tack-on crap to be their spokes-vehicle...then there's the kind with steel lamp covers, brush-guards and steel-tube push bars, like they're going on friggin' safari. The same goes for the massive, lifted Z71 or SuperDuty pickups with nice, shining aluminum wheels = never have-or-will see a speck of dirt or anything in the bed requiring more than the suspension of a Pinto. To each their own, for what ever reasons.

But I digress... since, these days, most SUVs are purpose-built for soft urbanite transportation. They are basically cars with bigger tires now.

A mantra I enjoy, "A dirty truck is a happy truck."

You seem to have all these mishaps with SUV/truck owners...on the road, at Starbucks...just what kind of vibes are you sending out? :AH-HA_wink:

I don't send out any bad vibes...on purpose. That guy in Starbucks was just a freak incident, but the guy in the Escalade is standard fare around here.

Hello, I'm your average Long Islander.  I need my SUV to make sure I'm high enough to get a good signal on my cell phone while I drive to the manicurist and park my giant monstrosity in the compact parking spots outside the lines because I can't park my giant SUV because I can't drive it but it doesn't matter because I'm more important than you.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

So true. So true.

I have to admit, I can't appreciate pavement-pounding SUV's.  Even more, I hate the kind all beefed up with enough Lund tack-on crap to be their spokes-vehicle...then there's the kind with steel lamp covers, brush-guards and steel-tube push bars, like they're going on friggin' safari.  The same goes for the massive, lifted Z71 or SuperDuty pickups with nice, shining aluminum wheels = never have-or-will see a speck of dirt or anything in the bed requiring more than the suspension of a Pinto.  To each their own, for what ever reasons.

But I digress... since, these days, most SUVs are purpose-built for soft urbanite transportation.  They are basically cars with bigger tires now.

A mantra I enjoy, "A dirty truck is a happy truck."

One year I took my father's Suburban down to Florida with 5 of my friends. Stopping at a toll booth in West Virginia on the way back, we were greeted by a complete look of shock on the toll-taker's face. He looked up and down the side of the truck, and said in a very hickish accent that didn't belong that far north: "There's no mud on it!!! You got a truck like this, you gotta go offroading!"

Edited by the_yellow_dart

I'll put it this way. My truck started it life as a farm truck and construction worker's struck. Its now a show truck/daily driver. My next truck will replace my Impala as a daily driver, I plan on buying a bed mounted tool box to place my tools in as I am a mechanic and parts guy in my life. And since everyone else is getting rid of their trucks in my family, I'll need it for when my wife and I move. And of course since I'm getting a truck again, i'll be buying the required accessories (boat, jet skis, utility trailer, ect) so I can take care of the hauling.

The other day I developed a throw-away camera

that I forgot even existed... it's from 2003. As you

can tell by the photo my truck was used as a

TRUCK... I broke off several sets of tow hooks

getting it stuck and getting other people unstuck.

Still miss this truck. 4x4 with 5-speed on the floor

is a rare find in a 1991 SUV.

Posted Image

I somewhat (term used not so loosely) hate the Escalade for the jerky guys and bitchy chicks I see behind the wheels of them.  Over the 4th of July weekend, I was cut off by at least a handful of Escalades and I was on freeways going at or slightly above the posted limit.

ha ha...I got cut off by an Escalade over the fouth too. I was going down main street in Saratoga and some idiot decided even though he was at a stop sign he should go in front of me. He pulled out right in front of me then stopped then pulled out more then went. Dip$h!.

Anyway, I use my Jeep because in Wyoming, 4WD is almost necessary at least half the year. I haul mowing equipment, and tow the boat/go to the lake alot. camping up in the mountains too. VERY occasional hunting. We use my dad's truck for the hunting more often though. Other than that it hauls stuff, like moving to school. It also hauls me and my dog around.

Edited by PONTIAC06

The other day I developed a throw-away camera

that I forgot even existed... it's from 2003. As you

can tell by the photo my truck was used as a

TRUCK... I broke off several sets of tow hooks

getting it stuck and getting other people unstuck.

Still miss this truck. 4x4 with 5-speed on the floor

is a rare find in a 1991 SUV.

Posted Image

163316[/snapback]

:cry::lovey: Just add 2 more doors, black paint, H4 conversion headlights and an automatic.....god I miss that truck. :(

Edited by deftonesfan867

I use my suburban on the farm to get where a car can't, to pull anhydrous tanks around, pull misc farm equipment from field to field, or any other trailer on the farm around which is almost a daily occurance. In the winter i pull a 22' steel tailer around that I use for hauling snowmobiles and in the summer I pull my 19' foot boat to the lake and back. I NEED a full size SUV or pickup in my life, but with rising gas prices I am using the impala whenever i don't need my SUV.