Your tolerance for heat

trinacriabob

Which of the following do you tolerate better?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following do you tolerate better?

• Higher F heat - low humidity (like 105+, less than 50% humid)
    • Lower F heat - higher humidity (like 90ish, 80% + humid)
    • Other - explain

I was in the desert on Saturday. It was 110+. Sure it was dry heat, but it was also 110.

In May, I took 1 week of vacation and went to Florida. You rarely see triple digits in Florida but the 85 to 90 is always accompanied by high humidity (and thunderstorms).

Obviously, I prefer 85 with 40% humidity, but if you had to pick....I seem to respond negatively to the high Farenheits. Your comfort zone?

I've decided I hate the higher humidity. I now put my AC on with recirculated air even when it's in the 70s, just because I feel clammy.

On the other hand, I'd rather not deal with 110-degree temperatures.

For voting purposes, I'll go with the one with the lowest humidity. But give me a cool, breezy 70-degree day any day of the week, and that will always be my favorite.

Definitely the humidity...dry heat really doesn't bother me. Yesterday it was 82 F with a 75% humidity out and it was just awful. And when it gets up in the 90s or triple digits with 70% humidity, you really have to be careful; a lot of elderly without AC are rushed to the hospital on days like that. If I ever leave the midwest, I won't miss the humidity.

People I know from down south say that I'm lucky to have 90F heat living in my area because they say it's not as humid. We'll, obviously they've never been to the southern great lakes region during mid-summer. It's almost as bad as florida... and yes, I've been to florida during mid-summer. Not fun.

I hate humidity. I'll take the dry heat thank you.

I can tolerate the upper 90's - however, mix humidity in and I feel like I need gills just to swim through the air.

Renovations at this operation have meant a shutdown and tearout of the A/C units. For a few days we had 90 degrees in the building. It's tough to think when the brain is in a state of meltdown.

I tolerate heat far better than I do cold. When it's merely 70 degrees in the house in the summer, I have pants and slippers on. Funny how, in the winter, 70 degrees is barely warm enough.

Maryland summers suck. We have no wind until September, and the humidity here is awful. I hate humidity with a passion.

Give me a 70-degree spring day with a light breeze and no humidity, and I'll be outside all day.

Southern Ontario has the WORST WEATHER IN THE WORLD. We used to get nice, fresh Spring days in May, but now it goes from 10 C to 34 C with nothing else in between!

Where else on the planet do you just get used to 34 degrees (with a humidex of 43) and then get doused with -20 C ??? The Great Lakes create this Gawdawful heat sink that just drapes southern Ontario with this soupy crap for 3 or 4 months.

Oh, I suppose it could be worse: Buffalo seems to get 40 cm dumps of snow every other day in the winter. I guess they are on the wrong side of the lakes, too. The storm streamers hit west and east of Toronto (London and Peterborough).

Well, at least we don't get hurricanes or earthquakes.....oh, okay, so we don't have the WORST WEATHER IN THE WORLD.

I wilt like a plant when I'm in heat.

Gimme winter. And Spring and Fall.

Summer, well, as long as I have a/c, I can do the heat once in a while.

I'll take the desert heat any day over this crap we have on LI. I hate being clammy 24/7.

I can take the heat ... can't stand the humidity.

Likewise, I _hate_ cold weather.....

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

chdQB = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/quilt.html

"Relight the flame when it's cold"...Godsmack...'Serenity'

I cant take the higher humidity. Living in AZ I am in 110+ degree weather regularly, but with less than 10% humidity. One thing I disagree with though, is that it does not cool down at night, at least not in the city, because the asphalt holds the heat. It is still 95-100 degrees at 10pm. But I can still handle that alot better than the humidity. I went to South Texas last year, 100 degree weather with 75+% humidity, and I couldn't breathe. It felt like I was trying to breathe through a towel.

I'll take the desert heat any day over this crap we have on LI. I hate being clammy 24/7.

Ugh... I know... I remember watching the news at 11:30PM one summer... it was 84 degrees and the humidity was 98%. I remember sleeping in a puddle of sweat that night. It took forever, but I think I finally passed out from heat exhaustion! lol Edited by Paolino

had to say lower heat...

in "swamp east" missouri, just get used to it, find what shade you can and hope for some wind

my "comfort zone" is between ~60 and ~low 80's with casual atire on

Humidity is the worst...Nothing worse than being at Six Flags Magic Mountain in 100+ degree weather with like 80+% humidity and being stuck in line surrounded by people.

Nick, when is it ever humid in the Santa Clarita Valley? I was just there this morning and then got on a plane tonight to come home. That area is bone dry...totally brown and no build up to thunderstorms. I can image Magic Mountain (have they squelched the gang issues there?) as a toaster during the summer but not with humidity THAT high.

Born and raised in alabama, 100+ degree days in the summer with constant high humidity all the time, I don't mind it, I really don't, but by God don't put me in an attic in those temperatures (did construction work for three years with my dad, I was the one that got to play either in the attic or under the house)....

Born and raised in alabama, 100+ degree days in the summer with constant high humidity all the time, I don't mind it, I really don't, but by God don't put me in an attic in those temperatures (did construction work for three years with my dad, I was the one that got to play either in the attic or under the house)....

Oh man, I know what you mean. At my old job, we had an air compressor room up above the main plant and right below the roof. We also stored a lot of files and supplies up there.

Well, one scorching August day, my boss had me go up there and clean up the place and also look for some files for him in the process. I bet it was 120 degrees up in that room and when I came down after about 3 hours I was literally dripping with sweat.

my boss had me go up there and clean up the place and also look for some files for him in the process.  I bet it was 120 degrees up in that room and when I came down after about 3 hours I was literally dripping with sweat.

"Take this job and shove it" --- when you have the luxury to say that!

I can take cold a lot better than heat. Anyone that says Wisconsin never gets hot needs to come this weekend. Or should have been here last weekend. Dont like humidity at all. Give me a 60-70 degree day witn no humidity and I am happy. The $ spent on the 1981 Bonnevilles A/C to keep it working is money VERY well spent. Plus the A/C in the Equinoc will freeze you out which I love.

The only lower heat/higher humidity that I can stand is Hawaii.

It's usually around a high of 85 during the day, and it only cools to about 75 at night. Yes, it IS humid there.....but the ocean breezes and occasional afternoon showers REALLY make it quite pleasant.

Hawiian weather is divine. Not to mention if it's too hot, a 30-minute drive can put you in a zone 40-degrees colder. ;)

I work outdoors summer & winter. Living in Jersey most all of my life has accustomed me to high humidity- so I can handle just about all of it. I would rather deal with 90 degrees/ 90% humidity than temps in the low 20s and lower with wind.

Hawiian weather is divine. Not to mention if it's too hot, a 30-minute drive can put you in a zone 40-degrees colder.

That's why one needs to string together 3 decent jobs to buy a shack over there. With all the places I've been, I've never been to Hawaii and L.A. is probably the "jumping off" spot to go there.

That's why one needs to string together 3 decent jobs to buy a shack over there.  With all the places I've been, I've never been to Hawaii and L.A. is probably the "jumping off" spot to go there.

Actually I was just over there.....and things have cooled A BIT quicker than CA.....median home/condo prices are about even with Los Angeles county and a bit lower even than Orange County.

It's still expensive though......needless to say.....

You would think that living in southern California.....why would WE want to go to Hawaii? (as opposed to someone living in a cold climate such as MI, for example)

Well, I'm a big fan of Hawaii. Probably the cultural differences over there are what I like the most. In one sense it (Honolulu) is alot like L.A, then in an entirely other sense, you have this cultural smorgasboard that you don't even get in CA. (polynesian, native hawaiian, japanese, etc.)

And....it IS beautiful.......even traffic-choked, high-rise intensive Oahu (Honolulu.)

Actually I was just over there.....and things have cooled A BIT quicker than CA.....median home/condo prices are about even with Los Angeles county and a bit lower even than Orange County.

It's still expensive though......needless to say.....

O.C. dude, WTF? HNL less than SNA? Nah. I keep going to Florida. I speak Spanish and get along phenomenally well with Cubans, Argentinians and most South Americans in general. That's what 1/2 my friends were when I was growing up in L.A.

The cultural mix in Hawaii...well, let's just say that there was a Hawaiian contingent at my undergrad school in So. Cal. and they never really integrated with the mainstream population....they kind of kept to the themselves, so I never got to know any...and they have a word for white people "howlis" which is derisive according to Caucasians I know who have lived there, including one day a year in their high schools called "Kill Howli Day" when the native islanders beat up on the white kids. Nice. <_< Hopefully, that has faded.

That's why I go to Florida and drop my tourism dollars there. It's cheaper. I speak Espanol. And the Latin cultures there are so incredibly engaging and full of life. A little bit of time in So. Fla, a little bit of time on the West Coast and a little bit of time on the Panhandle. I dig it.

BTW, I was in the Southland this past weekend and pulled off at Oso (or was it Avery) to go into Borders and to the Krispy Kreme en route to SD. I was thinking, this must be where the O.C. man hangs his hat! Cheers.

BTW, I was in the Southland this past weekend and pulled off at Oso (or was it Avery) to go into Borders and to the Krispy Kreme en route to SD.  I was thinking, this must be where the O.C. man hangs his hat!  Cheers.

OMG....! YOU SHOULD HAVE LET ME KNOW YOU WERE IN TOWN!

:hissyfit:

I live like five minutes from that Borders....! I go there every month to get Motor Trend 'cause they always get it early......

I was just there today!

It's a small world.....