Uber and/or Lyft - experiences, suggestions

trinacriabob

Guess what?  I am NEW to these.  Typically, I've had rental cars while on vacation or, if in foreign urban centers, I've just used their metro systems to get around.

I need to get to the airport.  Early.  If not an early flighty, I just take a bus from a suburban mall to a train station for the subway into the airport and go on the cheap.  Can't beat that.  Plus, I love riding subway type trains.

There is no early bus or train service for those first flights out.  So I plan to take Uber or Lyft.

Questions:

1.  Have you had success with early pick ups in the burbs to go to the airport with Uber or Lyft?

2.  Do you prefer Uber or Lyft?  Pros and cons?

3.  Should one schedule the ride in advance or should one schedule it when you're almost ready to depart?

4.  Will they show up?  I recently had an insane experience with a supposedly reputable shuttle service ... and in the middle of the day.

Your input is sought!  Thank you.

Edited by trinacriabob

1. I've never used them early.. I'd check a day in advance to make sure people are driving then. How early are we talking and on what day of the week?  

2. I've used both and they're basically the same. I usually cross shop them for best prices because the experience is identical and a lot of drivers will work for both. 

3. I didn't know/don't know if you can schedule in advance. If you can, might as well..? I'm just not sure if the service works that way. 

4. I've never been snubbed. I don't use it daily, weekly, or even monthly but every vacation in recent years we have and we have never been ditched. If you are you can probably report the incident(not like that would help the situation at hand though). 

Also, as a little advice, I've heard stories of drivers(not just Uber or Lyft but anybody picking up somebody from a house going to the airport) where the driver then knows you're not home... If you could get picked up anywhere that isn't your exact address would likely be preferred, if possible. 

Edited by ccap41
  • Thanks 1

I use them regularly. Uber lets you schedule a pickup ahead of time. I recommend this for early morning flights and its what I do.   As long as I schedule on the app in advance, I've not had any trouble getting a pickup at 4 in the morning.  Uber is generally better than lift for this, but other than early morning pickups, I use them both interchangeably depending on prices. 

• Thanks 1

@ccap41 4 a.m pick up on a weekday - nice, wide boulevards and freeways from starting point to the airport.

@Drew Dowdell  I will keep that in mind (Uber) for scheduling ahead and for an early morning flight.  I may just walk over to a fairly major hotel and schedule the pick-up to begin there.

Thank you to both of you!

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I use them regularly. Uber lets you schedule a pickup ahead of time. I recommend this for early morning flights and its what I do.   As long as I schedule on the app in advance, I've not had any trouble getting a pickup at 4 in the morning.  Uber is generally better than lift for this, but other than early morning pickups, I use them both interchangeably depending on prices. 

Good to know. I did not know one could schedule a pickup. That's a really nice feature. How prompt are they with this? 

I think with @Drew Dowdell's information, it is pretty obvious that Uber would likely be your best bet with being able to schedule a ride.  

• Agree 1

Agree with everything @Drew Dowdell has stated as that has been my experience to date and Dell Tech has gotten us a corporate discount with Uber and they push their employees to use it both personally and for business to save money.

With that said, I have also found a private car service if your are a ways out to be cheapest of them all usually scheduled up days in advanced and then I call the day before to confirm a person will be at my house for pickup.

For me where I live, private car service is cheaper than Taxi, Uber or Lyft.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Good to know. I did not know one could schedule a pickup. That's a really nice feature. How prompt are they with this? 

I think with @Drew Dowdell's information, it is pretty obvious that Uber would likely be your best bet with being able to schedule a ride.  

They say something like they guarantee a pickup within 10 minutes of your desired departure time.  You have to give them enough notice of course.... I usually scheduled it the night before when I go to bed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven't used Uber for the airport in Cleveland yet, but have never had a problem with them around town.   I've used them in the past for airport runs in Phoenix and Denver a few years ago. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

They say something like they guarantee a pickup within 10 minutes of your desired departure time.  You have to give them enough notice of course.... I usually scheduled it the night before when I go to bed. 

This is what I will do.

• Like 1