Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

3 hours ago, dfelt said:

Working out at 24hr fitness, Ellen show is on, young couple just won a new blazer RS. GM is giving 1 a week away over the summer on the show in a random drawing at the end. 

Best GM marketing I have seen in a while. Reminds me of the Oprah G6 car give away to the whole audience years ago. Should drive traffic into Chevrolet show rooms.

Ummmm...Pontiac died a few years after that...

You sure its a good idea???

• Haha 2

This came up the Hemmings newsletter today, pretty interesting read...not familiar w/ the Fageol Supersonic.  (though I'd heard of the truck and bus company).

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/05/31/split-apart-stolen-and-misidentified-fageols-supersonic-pataray-led-a-tortured-existence/?refer=news

Pataray_01-970x495.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

This came up the Hemmings newsletter today, pretty interesting read...not familiar w/ the Fageol Supersonic.

Yes you were ~

On May 7, 2019 at 8:53 AM, balthazar said:
Edited by balthazar

7 hours ago, ocnblu said:

My Jeepiat center armrest has turnt creaky.  Peeves me.  If I wanted a Mercedes, I would have leased one.

LoL...I get some squeaks and creaks from my Jeep armrest and dash...rough potholed roads around here...

This business is still in business, right near me. I doubt this truck is still in service ~

Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 10.27.28 PM.png

Another classy, attractive dame with great taste in cars ~ 

Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 10.42.28 PM.png

7 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Maybe you can "put the make" on her?

Happily. Oh, and; cherries. ;) I guess they could be tomatoes, but she's a tomato, so it's all still good.

Edited by balthazar

Im gonna telll you a story, a little story about Gloria. 

Down by the river, there was a girl named Gloria.

Gloria seems like she is always on the run. Running after somebody thinking that she'll get him somehow. She needs to slow down because she will start to blow it.  She is definitely  heading for a breakdown.  

Gloria is one frustrated woman....she MUST be from Boston!!!

Image result for go boston bruins gif

Volkswagen has the same problem.  U.S. superfans want VW to sell their Euro models here, all of them, without modification... but would that translate into sales beyond those "superfans"?  There is an argument to be made about carmakers staying true to spirit and letting that truth find a customer base, however limited.  The infamous, dumbed down Pennsylvania Rabbits come to mind, and since then, VW has sort of lost its mojo... by trying to Americanize itself.  Quite the conundrum, imo.

That Volvo does look like a Kaiser, it is appealing in an American sort of way... but is it a VOLVO that stays true?

3 minutes ago, balthazar said:

'Staying true' - business doesn't commonly survive long term doing whatever that is. VW was always a dirt cheap, static, air-cooled product- where's that / who wants that? 

VW hasn't had air-cooled models in the US in 40 years...that's a very dated image. 

Volvo's brand identity in the US is safety?  Coming at a time when folk like Ralph Nader are making headlines?  

Would that be an accurate statement?  I would think so.   

Volvo was a pioneer in safety.  Volvo made a huge name for itself because of safety.  

Yes, their cars were dull also at a time when Detroit was selling style at a time when folk like Nader was voicing a loud...voice. At a time when the automobile was just starting to be seen as an evil entity...at a time when world politics was at fever pitch.

This is when VW also started to become popular with a subset of Americans opposing world stage politics...

Is THAT a fair assessment?

Anyway...

I would never buy a Volvo...but there are a couple of models in their history that I think are cool that do an excellent job of being...Swedish.   

Image result for volvo p 1800

Related image

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, balthazar said:

OK- strike the air-cooled part. Now tell me how the Phaeton worked with the rest & how it worked out.

That one never made much sense... muddied the brand positioning. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

That one never made much sense... muddied the brand positioning. 

In all fairness, the Passat, and especially the 2nd generation Passat, along with the Corrado did push Volkswagen into a different brand position. Those pushed VW a tad more upscale to where they once were.  

The Corrado was expensive for what it was. It was faster than anything VW had put out and was quite desirable.

The 1st generation Passat introduced North Americans to what VW aspires to be.

Both the Corrado and 1st generation Passat showed North Americans that VW need not be hippie inspired, peace loving transportation pods.  They both introduced North Americans to an image that VW need not be your daughter's graduation convertible present either.

Both the Corrado and 1st generation Passat helped VW get out of that teenager image they had with Herbie the Love Bug, Bumblebee the Transformer, VW Rabbit Cabriolet/Rabbit GTi/Golf Gti/Diesel and matured the brand to where adults other than pot smoking, peace loving, muscle car hatin' hippies could buy a mature automobile.

The Corrado was a much more refined, more upscale slightly faster and more importanly, a more mature Scirocco. 

The 2nd generation Passat just cemented that idea where VW is not only mature, more upscale, but dare VW say premium? 

Premium and more upscale, European (German luxury) at lesser prices than an Audi, Mercedes and BMW...

Because, the 2nd generation Passat really was THAT good of a car. It was Oldsmobile/Buick (for 1990s Olds and Buick images). It was Acura. It was Audi. (It literally WAS Audi as it was a stretched Audi A4...and THAT is when Audi took off as well...) 

It was a good looking sedan with great luxury features for a car priced the way it was. Which was high for VW but people accepted it and bought into it. So much so, that the VW CC was a very successful, sporty AND luxurious Passat a few generations after the mid 1990s...

Where the Phaeton failed, the CC succeeded, only for VW to let it wither on the vine too long...

The Phaeton just went too far upscale too fast.  But in all honesty, VW at that point in time, really was on an upward swing. 

Edited by oldshurst442

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I believe VW should not go upscale, by the very definition of its name.

I agree. A few years back when the Phaeton was being sold, the prices on a Phaeton I saw was $68K.  An Audi A8 could get away with such pricing, but not a VW Phaeton.  The Phaeton should have started at $38K instead.

^ It's funny: I don't mind them when discreet, like on the ankle/foot or the hand/ wrist/ arm, but it needs to stay in the 5% coverage range. The worst are big, dark thigh tattoos. My brother's girlfriend has some sort of huge dragon from the shoulder down her back onto her leg, from my understanding. Thousands of dollars, huge piece of art, never shown publicly and you can't see it yourself = Crazy Town.
I also don't get written tattoos beyond names/dates. 

Edited by balthazar

54 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I have never understood the tattoo thing, just not attractive to me at all.

Polynesian culture I believe, right?  

Not for me either. But I do find it interesting.  But Ill be honest and tell you that Im shallow!  If ugly human beings have tattoos, male or female, I HATE them.

If attractive humans have tattoos, or if the tattoos fit their physique and personality...I find that to be HOT!    Quite contradictory, right?

But yeah!

Forgetting that this dude IS Polynesian, I think he is hot and badass for his tattoos.

Related image

If George Clooney was a criminal and had this type of tattoo, Id think he would be hot hot hot for having this tattoo. It works for me!

Related image

Here...a regular dude with a similar motif.

Related image

I would NEVER cheat on my wife...but Ill tell you one thing though, if I was in my 20s or 30s...man-o-man I would soooooo try to be her one night stand

Related image

and hers

Related image

And hers...

She has a certain look that she wants to portray and her hair colour and colour and style  of tats, just works for her...and I have great lust...

Related image

But this...NO PHOQUING WAY. Like hit the gym dude, like shave your face, do something...because...it aint working. And that tattoo..

DUDE???!!! 

WTF???!!!

Image result for sexy girl with tattoos

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Thousands of dollars, huge piece of art, never shown publicly and you can't see it yourself = Crazy Town.

Crazy Town...Butterfly

Your post made me think of this song. 

And look...beaucoup tats and piercings. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

Mack Electric Garbage truck for NY City.

Battery capacity update:

In March 2019, 9.76 GWh of passenger EV battery capacity was deployed globally, an increase of 94% year-over-year, according to Adamas Intelligence’s monthly report “EV Battery Capacity Monthly.”

Adamas says this increase in battery capacity is especially remarkable considering that global EV sales increased by a mere 25% over the same period, showing that a far greater number of high-capacity EVs, like the Tesla Model 3, were sold this March than in March 2018.

Corroborating the trend, Adamas also reported that the sales-weighted average passenger EV battery capacity deployed in March 2019 was 55% higher than in March 2018.

Source: Adamas Intelligence

• Disagree 1

@ocnblu

Burn baby burn all the peteo you want, humanity is dead after 2050.

New Report Suggests ‘High Likelihood of Human Civilization Coming to an End’ in 2050

http://flip.it/-UDbyv

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

@Drew Dowdell For $26,900 you can become the proud owner of an all Original Buick Regal with 9,000 original miles of this ultra rare, more so than a Grand National GX. 1 of only 1,547 built with 245hp Turbo 3.8L V6 with 355 lb-ft of torque.

https://www.showdownauto.com/vehicles/480/1987-buick-t-type?utm_source=motorious.com&utm_medium=article&utm_campaign=motorious#next-image

1987 Buick T-Type

@ocnblu Alright young man, please explain the down vote on the Electric Mack Garbage Truck post? ?

Downvoting is your right, yet it would also be professional to then respond with why you downvote it so that we can all understand what you are downvoting?

Is this just continuation of your hatred for all things electric?

Hatred for NY trying to improve the air quality by removing toxic Diesel trucks?

Hatred for MACK who sees the need for a better garbage truck and has built it?

Hatred for the fact that Battery production is increasing nicely that should allow more auto companies to produce and release a larger variety of electric auto's?

I am patiently waiting to understand! ???

38 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Original Buick Regal with 9,000 original miles of this ultra rare, more so than a Grand National GX. 1 of only 1,547 built with 245hp Turbo 3.8L V6 with 355 lb-ft of torque.

This is a GN. Last year special GNX was 547 units.
- - - - -
Stow-n-Go seating, '65 Ford ~

Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 9.39.28 PM.png

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Local water tower got repainted, this is the scaffolding coming down. Googling around, this is apparently in the neighborhood of a $1.25 million dollar job.

IMG_0246(1).jpg

This is Québec level government spending.

Im impressed...that we arent the only ones being hosed this way...

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

@Drew Dowdell For $26,900 you can become the proud owner of an all Original Buick Regal with 9,000 original miles of this ultra rare, more so than a Grand National GX. 1 of only 1,547 built with 245hp Turbo 3.8L V6 with 355 lb-ft of torque.

https://www.showdownauto.com/vehicles/480/1987-buick-t-type?utm_source=motorious.com&utm_medium=article&utm_campaign=motorious#next-image

1987 Buick T-Type

unpopular opinion about a popular car...... I never really got the love for these either.   Even in Olds form, the G-Bodies don't do much for me.  The interiors are sh!t.  Give me that same powertrain in a Riviera or even an Electra coupe and you might have something for me.