Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

I feel the car has gotten long-in-the-tooth; I see then daily i here in Jersey and the design came out in 2012.

My feelings exactly.

I see my partner's Model S everyday. I have Fallen out of love with it.

I do love the motors and the battery tech the Model S P100D has. I want to know more about what the new roadster motors and batteries could do, but as far as the Model S' looks go, I feel like "long in the tooth" is too nice of a statement.

Its dated styling is what it is really!

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, balthazar said:

2016 Tesla Model S US sales were 28,896.
2017 Tesla Model S US sales were 27,060, a decline of 6.5%.

Jan-Feb of '18 is running 27% behind where Jan-Feb of '17 were. While I fully realize Tesla's sales swing wildly month-month, is this an indication the Model S is falling out of favor? Myself, I feel the car has gotten long-in-the-tooth; I see then daily i here in Jersey and the design came out in 2012.

I would have to say that the Tesla S sales drop is due to the Tesla X coming out and people wanting the CUV over a car. But Drops this year is in fact more to other OEM builders coming out. I have lately heard from a few coworkers who had deposits down on Tesla and have pulled them as they like what they see with the Jaguar EV and with others coming out. I think Tesla is going to be hurting if they cannot get their Tesla 3 out in mass productions and next year is going to be very interesting for them.

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

My feelings exactly.

I see my partner's Model S everyday. I have Fallen out of love with it.

I do love the motors and the battery tech the Model S P100D has. I want to know more about what the new roadster motors and batteries could do, but as far as the Model S' looks go, I feel like "long in the tooth" is too nice of a statement.

Its dated styling is what it is really!

Styling STALE like old bread. Will make a nice crouton for those that like it still but for the rest, I suspect 2018 and 2019 as new EV's are introduced by other OEMs that they will eat into Tesla sales.

After all, do you want an EV that has an established dealership network or one that rely's on a cheap auto parts store and hopefully you can find an experienced mechanic to work on your auto that truly knows something more than appliance repair.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, dfelt said:

I would have to say that the Tesla S sales drop is due to the Tesla X coming out and people wanting the CUV over a car.

Model X came out in beginning of '16 (actually it was summer of '15, but the rate was barely a trickle).
But the Model X is flat in sales vs. 2017 (1550 vs. 1575). It's NOT a model preference shift there.
What's the possibility the Model 3 is cannibalizing Model S sales?

Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 5.40.03 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Model X came out in beginning of '16 (actually it was summer of '15, but the rate was barely a trickle).
But the Model X is flat in sales vs. 2017 (1550 vs. 1575). It's NOT a model preference shift there.
What's the possibility the Model 3 is cannibalizing Model S sales?

Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 5.40.03 PM.png

Sharp Ride you posted! :metal: 

Excellent Point and very possible as some stretched to have the S so they could have a long distant EV, now they lower price of a Tesla 3 makes sense but then we have also seen due to the reduction happening at Tesla in the federal credit that there have been those that have canceled their order and gone BOLT.

I also still believe that there are pent up demand for an EV but not Tesla but other OEM builders. Gonna be an interesting 24 months as they start to roll out. :scratchchin:

• Agree 1

On 3/18/2018 at 9:35 PM, ocnblu said:

At this particular juncture, I have no complaints about my Jeepiat.  The stick is such a redeemer... of any vehicle, but the little Jeep, modest in power as it is, really shines with the manual, imo.

A "Mojito!" (green) Wrangler Sport S 2-door with black hardtop, the stick, dark wheels and cold weather package (comes with meaty tires) could be the ticket... but alas, two-door Wranglers are not available for perusal yet.  I like what they've done with it.

We took a road trip in a friends Renegade Trailhawk.  loaded down with 500 lbs of a Planer I ahd purchased for my wood shop and 600 lbs of a large industrial sander we had picked up on the same trip, we made 23 miles per gallon across the blue ridge mountains running 80+ MPH and passing semis uphill on the inter state highways.

I like the degree of personalization also. It has made me forget all about those MINI's and such...

• Agree 2

44 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

We took a road trip in a friends Renegade Trailhawk.  loaded down with 500 lbs of a Planer I ahd purchased for my wood shop and 600 lbs of a large industrial sander we had picked up on the same trip, we made 23 miles per gallon across the blue ridge mountains running 80+ MPH and passing semis uphill on the inter state highways.

I like the degree of personalization also. It has made me forget all about those MINI's and such...

That had to be a dog trying to accelerate to 80 mph loaded down like that with that little guy. 

I like the Renegade but it doesn't seem like the kind of vehicle for interstate driving through mountains and loaded to max(if not more) loading capacity. 

• Agree 3

45 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

That had to be a dog trying to accelerate to 80 mph loaded down like that with that little guy. 

I like the Renegade but it doesn't seem like the kind of vehicle for interstate driving through mountains and loaded to max(if not more) loading capacity. 

It really did pretty good...I was impressed with the current tune on the 9 speed auto also.

Am I weird for liking to study engine bays?  It's interesting how simplistic and solid state or how complex engine compartments can be nowadays.  When 350 V8s ruled the roost, I was able to tell whether the engine was built by Chevrolet, Pontiac, Olds, or Buick just by the way it was configured ... no labels or brand of car needed.  Olds had the "best" looking 350 V8 while Buick had the "ugliest" looking 350 V8, IMO.

Anymore, I just wipe my engine down periodically and take minor amounts of degreasing spray with the more focused pointer feature to areas far, far away from any sensors and electronics.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 3

30 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Am I weird for liking to study engine bays?  It's interesting how simplistic and solid state or how complex engine compartments can be nowadays.  When 350 V8s ruled the roost, I was able to tell whether the engine was built by Chevrolet, Pontiac, Olds, or Buick just by the way it was configured ... no labels or brand of car needed.  Olds had the "best" looking 350 V8 while Buick had the "ugliest" looking 350 V8, IMO.

Anymore, I just wipe my engine down periodically and take minor amounts of degreasing spray with the more focused pointer feature to areas far, far away from any sensors and electronics.

I do like to clean mine as well....and no- I study them too...something that always catches my eye...

31 minutes ago, balthazar said:

66 Riviera 425.jpg

This is an awesome engine bay with plenty of room to turn a wrench. Wish they were still that way. At least my 1993 GMC Suburban has plenty of room and is easy to get around to work on in comparison to my Escalade.

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

66 Riviera 425.jpg

I believe that says "Wildcat 465," no?  I don't see the clutter created by having a canted distributor up front, per their later V8s.  That sure is clean.  Not only that, all plugs appear to be accessible to a dilettante.  Now, if there's an A/C compressor, it's either tucked down below or just not present in this car.

GM 350 "beauty contest" (70s vintage) by division:

1. Oldsmobile

2. Pontiac

3. Chevrolet

4. Buick

Let's not forget the very first Cadillac Seville ran with a throttle body fuel injected Olds 350 V8 for about a handful of years, too.  That was a real nod to Oldsmobile engineering and durability.  It sure is great to see an original Seville in almost mint condition.  I loved those cars.  Anyone, of almost any size, could now easily drive a Cadillac, thanks to the Seville.

Edited by trinacriabob

1 minute ago, balthazar said:

Buick in this broad period used engine call-outs based on torque rating instead of displacement.

Which no doubt led to a lot of confusion over the years.  Odd that they went with a nonstandard labeling scheme. 

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Which no doubt led to a lot of confusion over the years.  Odd that they went with a nonstandard labeling scheme. 

Sure it has, but that's the SHEER BEAUTY of non-conformity! ! ! :D
...[in a mind-numbing time where every brand has a 2.0L and 3.0L engine]

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

Buick in this broad period used engine call-outs based on torque rating instead of displacement.

We may have discussed this before on the forum, but were there longevity differences in the four divisions' small block 350 V8s of the 70s?  I vaguely recall that Chevy had select 305 and 350 units that had camshafts that prematurely needed work.  Don't know much about how long the different 350s could go with identical and on schedule maintenance.

Sorry I haven't been around much guys.  I haven't been well for more than a month. I don't know when I'll be back here again full time.  I am still going to NYC for the auto show because I booked it a while ago, but I'll be keeping a low profile. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 3

39 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Sorry I haven't been around much guys.  I haven't been well for more than a month. I don't know when I'll be back here again full time.  I am still going to NYC for the auto show because I booked it a while ago, but I'll be keeping a low profile. 

I have not felt well for a month either, you are in good company.

I got through my first Ohio winter in 24 years without more than a cold, no ear infections or sinus infections like I used to get.   But my joints have felt the wear and tear of living in a multi-story house for the first time in almost 30 years...

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

We may have discussed this before on the forum, but were there longevity differences in the four divisions' small block 350 V8s of the 70s?  I vaguely recall that Chevy had select 305 and 350 units that had camshafts that prematurely needed work.  Don't know much about how long the different 350s could go with identical and on schedule maintenance.

I've not heard of any specific issues with any of the 4 Division's circa 350s. I know the Pontiac 35(5)s were well designed/lasted a long while... it's just with the same size block; most Pontiac folk just build a 400 or 455.

- - - - -
Drew, hope you kick whatever you may be dealing with quickly.

Edited by balthazar

15 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery Drew.

20 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Get well soon, bud!

There are always humorous and/or eye opening videos of human-animal interactions being featured, but this recent one was just plain nutty ...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/t/moody-moose-teenager-having-a-very-bad-day-takes-it-out-on-driver/vp-BBKCdvy

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

There are always humorous and/or eye opening videos of human-animal interactions being featured, but this recent one was just plain nutty ...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/t/moody-moose-teenager-having-a-very-bad-day-takes-it-out-on-driver/vp-BBKCdvy

Too Funny, I liked the Color Changing Car one!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/t/car-changes-color-on-voice-command/vp-BBKJK8C

Teaches ya to not piss of Lexa! :P 

• Agree 1

This is the new 2019 GMC Sierra AT4.  According to a GMC spokeshuman, it is the beginning of the AT4 brand at GMC... with EVERY GMC model slated to receive this package.

Suddenly I am cautiously intrigued by a Terrain AT4 diesel...  :o

13 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

This is the new 2019 GMC Sierra AT4.  According to a GMC spokeshuman, it is the beginning of the AT4 brand at GMC... with EVERY GMC model slated to receive this package.

Suddenly I am cautiously intrigued by a Terrain AT4 diesel...  :o

What does the AT4 stand for as this is the first I have heard of it?

Never mind Ocnblu, I see this is a Hummer like package on the GMC line. Very Exciting! :D

http://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/trucks/introducing-the-first-ever-2019-sierra-at4

Have to say I think this will do very well and drive sales. Lots more on the web site but this is the core off road info:

AUTHENTIC OFF-ROAD CAPABILITY

Sierra AT4’s tall stance is also a sign of its off-road capability. Compared to other 2019 Sierras, the Sierra AT4’s suspension rides 2” higher, providing added ground clearance for off-road driving. Unlike aftermarket lift kits, Sierra AT4’s factory-installed suspension was fully designed and validated by GMC engineers, allowing it to deliver the refined ride quality and durability expected of a GMC.

Sierra AT4’s off-road chops don’t end there. Sierra AT4’s off-road chops don’t end there. Sierra AT4 models include four-wheel drive as standard equipment, with a two-speed transfer case that includes low-range four-wheel-drive gearing for when conditions turn extremely tough. Sierra AT4 also includes off-road tuned Rancho monotube shock absorbers, a locking rear differential,  skid plates, and hill descent control, which leverages anti-lock braking technology to provide a smooth, controlled descent in uneven terrain without the driver needing to repeatedly push the brake pedal.

Sierra AT4 is equipped with a 5.3-liter V-8 engine and eight-speed automatic transmission as standard equipment, while either a 6.2-liter V-8 or a new 3.0-liter inline-six turbo-diesel will be available as optional equipment.

We didn’t stop there – we brought innovative technology to Sierra AT4 to both enhance capability and elevate driver confidence off-road. Some of these features include:

• Traction Select System: allows the driver to choose from preset drive modes that have been tailored for a variety of different terrain or weather conditions. Selecting one of these modes adjusts Sierra’s transmission shift points, throttle mapping, and other systems to optimize performance for the situation at hand.
  • Segment-first Multi-Color Head-Up Display: projects key, customizable vehicle data, including an off-road inclinometer, on the windshield in a 3x7-inch display. The off-road inclinometer shows the fore-and-aft tilt, front tire angle, and left-and-right tilt. 
  • Surround Vision: available on Sierra AT4 and provides the driver with a “bird’s eye” view through an overhead image on the infotainment screen and can prove useful when slowly maneuvering in tight quarters - be it within a parking garage or out on a challenging trail. 

Image of the grille on the 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 light-duty pickup truck parked in a mountainous terrain.

• Agree 2

On 3/21/2018 at 6:07 PM, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I got through my first Ohio winter in 24 years without more than a cold, no ear infections or sinus infections like I used to get.   But my joints have felt the wear and tear of living in a multi-story house for the first time in almost 30 years...

Sadly I have been sick on and off for a month. Starting to think seriously of moving out of Ohio and getting away from Ohio winters.

• Agree 1

Winter Storm warning in effect for the next few days here in Washington state for the passes, windy and cold rain just above freezing in Seattle. Should make Skiing the BOMB this weekend. :metal: 

Anyone use a dash cam? Thinking of getting one as more and more idiots seem to be on the road and I love my road trips.

http://www.thedrive.com/gear-up/19631/owl-car-cam-review-the-dash-cam-to-go-for-if-you-give-a-hoot-about-filming-your-daily-drive

Dig this, a Hemi Powered C6 Corvette that to break records had two cylinders cut off to make a special drag racing class and now does a 201 mph 3.85 second 1/8th mile?

https://jalopnik.com/i-am-quietly-obsessed-with-this-v6-corvette-1824086703

• Agree 1

Agree on the dash cam...

In other news of useful inventions, I created a land mine that looks like a prayer mat. Prophets are going through the roof!

See I can be a good businessman.

Edited by A Horse With No Name
  • Haha 2