Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

I had to go to work today...no day off as I thought I have!

My partner had an issue with his Tesla Model S....

He brought it in at the Tesla Service Center for some maintenance work.

So...As he was telling me...he was tracking his car for fun on his App thingy when he saw his car leave the Tesla Service Center to be found at the Montreal Bugatti Dealership. No big deal he thought as that is where Teslas get maintained sometimes...at the Bugatti dealership...

Cool is what I thought when he told me!

A while later, he checked upon his car again only to find it 6-7 miles away from the Bugatti Dealership parked in front of a private house...

He called Tesla right away demanding to know where his car was!

The folks at Tesla did not have an answer for him and that is when he phoned me to come and replace him so he could set things straight....

Turns out, the President of the Bugatti Dealership forgot something at his house so he took my partner's Model S to retrieve what he forgot at his home...

So far, my partner is getting his maintenance done and changing his tires for free...

Maybe other things too....he will pursue this further on Monday!

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

So...As he was telling me...he was tracking his car for fun on his App thingy when he saw his car leave the Tesla Service Center to be found at the Montreal Bugatti Dealership. No big deal he thought as that is where Teslas get maintained sometimes...at the Bugatti dealership...

A while later, he checked upon his car again only to find it 6-7 miles away from the Bugatti Dealership parked in front of a private house...

The folks at Tesla did not have an answer for him and that is when he phoned me to come and replace him so he could set things straight....

Turns out, the President of the Bugatti Dealership forgot something at his house so he took my partner's Model S to retrieve what he forgot at his home...

So far, my partner is getting his maintenance done and changing his tires for free...

Interesting what technology does!

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

Kinda like the phone app you can use to track you kids and make sure they are where they say they are. Cool!

@A Horse With No Name @dfelt

Yeah. It is a neat feature. It also keeps track of how fast the car is traveling in real time.

I knew of this when he bought his car a couple of years ago but I forgot about it until yesterday.

@2b2 THANK-YOU!

PS: It was a $1000 worth of maintenance....

PSS: Tesla gave him a Dodge Durango R/T as a loaner???!!!

That is a WTF kinda of a loaner car.  All other times his had another Model S.

Edited by oldshurst442

14 hours ago, dfelt said:

Yes he bought an awesome performing sedan! Do you dislike it because it is not a VW with a DSG Trans and a Turbo 4 banger?

Dude, piss off. You're just making a fool of yourself by being a tool for no reason.

Anyone on here who remotely knows me knows how much I love the SS. I've gone so far as saying numerous times it's the best sport sedan on sale.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

What did you dislike so much about it?

It's easier to some up what I liked about it-

Interior is very nice. Beatifully (non)designed, high-quality, great fit and finish. Audio system (Bowers & Wilkins) was very good. 

Steering was nice. Nicely weighted, not too sharp or dull. Just how I like it in an SUV.

Exterior styling is lovely.

That's about where it stops. Ride was just okay. Engine felt and sounded really bad. Transmission got confused and shifted hard on several occasions. Infotainment system and controls are needlessly complicated. Plowed horribly. I've never driven an SUV that was so quick to give in to massive understeer, especially at such low speeds, and with such grippy tires. The overall feel of it was just very massive and ponderous. Felt more like a Suburban than an X5 or Land Rover. The new Q7 feels like a hot hatch in comparison.

I got out of it, and right into a 2017 Touareg Executive, and even though the VW is underpowered, and woefully outdated from a technology/feature standpoint, it drove and felt much better. Shame they don't update it and drop in a V8 or boosted 6.

7 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Dude, piss off. You're just making a fool of yourself by being a tool for no reason.

Anyone on here who remotely knows me knows how much I love the SS. I've gone so far as saying numerous times it's the best sport sedan on sale.

Everyone has their right to say what they want but your statement came across to me in the way it was posted as negative and you never expanded on it. Just a negative reading post. So since I do not remember everyone's posts, mine I feel is valid in questioning you since you seem to be lately just ranting on how great the VW auto is. Then you post what seems like a negative post of how could you buy this.

I am happy you find them great.

On 4/28/2017 at 7:45 AM, dfelt said:

This totally made my day! It really is how I see the world and how I see humanity and for a Friday, what a great way to end the work week. Cheers Mates, May you all have an awesome weekend. I will be cracking a bottle of wine after work today!

20170429_084934.jpg

My bottle I drank last night while watching movies. I thought it was perfect for the crazy week I had!

5 minutes ago, dfelt said:

20170429_084934.jpg

My bottle I drank last night while watching movies. I thought it was perfect for the crazy week I had!

Awesome!

I think everyone is a little edgy just because there is so much negativity regarding cars of various types...

33 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Everyone has their right to say what they want but your statement came across to me in the way it was posted as negative and you never expanded on it. Just a negative reading post. So since I do not remember everyone's posts, mine I feel is valid in questioning you since you seem to be lately just ranting on how great the VW auto is. Then you post what seems like a negative post of how could you buy this.

There was nothing remotely negative about it. You chose to interpret it as such so could pick a fight because you are of feeble and childish mind. 

10 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Come on guys.....it's the weekend! Relax and take it easy....enough negative BS out in the world....no point to bring it here...

That said, I saw quite a few classic cars and trucks out today....:wub:

Totally agree, saw an old Jaguar on the highway. Have not seen one like it in a long time, older guy and gal, all dressed up in sunday best. Very cool to see such old classics out and about especially on a drizzle day of Seattle.

• Agree 2

59033f70eb61b_FGT35.jpg.e776f2ed25d7be58ad56500e6860f1e6.jpg

One  year, I decided to buy my mother-in-law a cemetery plot as a Christmas gift...

The next  year, I didn't buy her a gift.

When she asked  me why, I replied,

"Well, you still haven't used the gift I bought you last year!"

And that's how the fight started.....

his and hers.jpg

Saturday morning I got up early, quietly dressed, made my lunch, and slipped quietly into the garage. I hooked up the boat up to the van, and proceeded to back out into a torrential downpour. The wind was blowing 50 mph, so I pulled back into the garage, turned on the radio, and discovered that the weather would be bad all day. I went back into the house, quietly undressed, and slipped back into bed.. I cuddled up to my wife's back, now with a different anticipation, and whispered, "The weather out there is terrible."
My loving wife of 5 years replied,
"And, can you believe my stupid husband is out fishing in that?"
And that's how the fight started...

58a47301b3b64_WAKEUP.jpg.243c3b23b1176d56bc6a8d06c004f940.jpg

7518996d24adf205c294c757d42b837c.jpg.35e7ba7dfdb22b13560646f8df47ef7b.jpg

189418-Husband-And-Wife-Have-A-Fight-Then-This-Happens....jpg.93f6f12619246dee75ac84e57103abc5.jpg

Edited by A Horse With No Name
  • Agree 2

d1437abbb8960413286edab36417c2aa.jpg.51f8652335ffdda275dd47c590427097.jpg

MOAN 4.jpg

HEALTH QUESTION & ANSWER SESSION

Q: I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?

A: Your heart is only good for so many beats, and that's it... don't waste them on exercise. Everything wears out eventually. Speeding up your heart will not make you live longer; that's like saying you can extend the life of your car by driving it faster. Want to live longer? Take a nap.

Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?

A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does a cow eat?
Hay and corn. And what are these? Vegetables. So a steak is nothing more than an efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain? Eat chicken. Beef is also a good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable). And a pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended daily allowance of vegetable products.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?

A: No, not at all. Wine is made from fruit. Brandy is distilled wine, that means they take the water out of the fruity bit so you get even more of the goodness that way. Beer is also made out of grain. Bottoms up!

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?

A: Well, if you have a body and you have body fat, your ratio is one to one. If you have two bodies, your ratio is two to one, etc.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?

A: Can't think of a single one, sorry. My philosophy is: No Pain...Good

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?

A: YOU'RE NOT LISTENING!!!. Foods are fried these days in vegetable oil. In fact, they're permeated in it. How could getting more vegetables be bad for you?

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?

A: Definitely not! When you exercise a muscle, it gets bigger. You should only be doing sit-ups if you want a bigger stomach.

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?

A: Are you crazy? HELLO ...... Cocoa beans ... another vegetable!!! It's the best feel-good food around!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?

A: If swimming is good for your figure, explain whales to me.

Q: Is getting in-shape important for my lifestyle?

A: Hey! 'Round' is a shape!

Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets and remember,

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

• Agree 2

image008.jpg

OK, we gots some smart folks here. Let's just see how good ya'll are when it comes to problem solving. I'll let you mull over the answers to the below test for a couple of days, publish yer answers, and we'll see how smart you fellas (and gals) really are!

I'll publish the answers this weekend and we'll see how close ya'll got.

Engineering Test

1. Calculate the smallest limb diameter on a persimmon tree that will support a 10 lb. possum.

2. Which of the following cars will rust out the quickest when placed on blocks in your front yard?

A) 66 Ford Fairlane

B) 69 Chevrolet Chevelle

C) 64 Pontiac GTO

3. If your uncle builds a still that operates at a capacity of 20 gallons of shine per hour, how many car radiators are necessary to condense the product?

4. A pulpwood cutter has a chain saw that operates at 2700 rpm. The density of the pine trees in a plot to be harvested is 470 per acre. The plot is 2.3 acres in size. The average tree diameter is 14 inches. How many Pabst Blue Ribbons will be consumed while cutting the trees?

5. If every old refrigerator in the state vented its charge of R-12 simultaneously, what would be the decrease in the ozone layer?

6. A front porch is constructed of 2x8 pine on 24-inch centers with a field rock foundation. The span is 8 feet and the porch length is 16 feet. The porch floor is 1 inch rough sawn pine. When the porch collapses, how many hound dogs will be killed?

7. A man owns a house and 3.7 acres of land in a hollow with an average slope of 15%. The man has 5 children. Can each of the children place a mobile home on the man's land?

8. A 2-ton pulpwood truck is overloaded and proceeding down a steep grade on a secondary road at 45 mph. The brakes fail. Given the average traffic loading of secondary roads, how many people will swerve to avoid the truck before it crashes at the bottom of the mountain?

For extra credit, how many of the vehicles that swerved will have mufflers and un-cracked windshields?

9. A Coal Mine operates as an NFPA Class 1, Division 2 Hazardous Area. The mine employs 120 miners per shift. A gas warning is issued at the beginning of 3rd shift. How many cartons of unfiltered Camels will be smoked during the shift?

10. How many generations will it take before cattle develop two legs shorter than the others because of grazing along a mountainside?

Edited by A Horse With No Name
  • Agree 1

On 4/29/2017 at 5:51 PM, dfelt said:

As the impartial recipient of Frisky's comment, I can assure you it didn't come off negatively to me. It was simply surprise and to see otherwise was reading too much into it. --> "You bought this?!?!" No offense given or taken.

44 minutes ago, cp-the-nerd said:

As the impartial recipient of Frisky's comment, I can assure you it didn't come off negatively to me. It was simply surprise and to see otherwise was reading too much into it. --> "You bought this?!?!" No offense given or taken.

Exactly how I took it.

On 4/29/2017 at 6:32 AM, oldshurst442 said:

@A Horse With No Name @dfelt

Yeah. It is a neat feature. It also keeps track of how fast the car is traveling in real time.

I knew of this when he bought his car a couple of years ago but I forgot about it until yesterday.

@2b2 THANK-YOU!

PS: It was a $1000 worth of maintenance....

PSS: Tesla gave him a Dodge Durango R/T as a loaner???!!!

That is a WTF kinda of a loaner car.  All other times his had another Model S.

That's odd. I thought they swapped you into another of the same model you were turning in for service.  It might not be the exact same level 60/70/80/90/100, but a Model-S gets a Model-S and a Model-X gets a Model-X.

Maybe @FAPTurbo can answer?

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

That's odd. I thought they swapped you into another of the same model you were turning in for service.  It might not be the exact same level 60/70/80/90/100, but a Model-S gets a Model-S and a Model-X gets a Model-X.

Maybe @FAPTurbo can answer?

They may ahve been out of Tesla loaners.

7 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

They may ahve been out of Tesla loaners.

If Tesla is having high repair issues, that is scary as EVs are supposed to be less maintenance. <_<

I so agree with this list of 15 Most Disappointing Travel Destinations. Been to half and was totally of the feeling, this was a waste of time.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/article/the-most-disappointing-travel-destinations-on-earth/ss-BBABagZ?li=BBnb7Kz#image=1

He always had a Model S as a loaner before.

He never asked why they gave him the Durango.

In Quebec, during this time and in December, we change our tires from winter to summer/all season and vice versa as its mandatory to drive with winter tires during December 20 to March 20.

So the dealerships are swamped with work.

And no...his Model S only needed regular maintenance work...and change his tires.

Edited by oldshurst442

34 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

So I saw pics of the new GMC Terrain and really wished I was blind and couldn't see that. Absolutely hideous amalgamation of bad design ideas on the outside. 

So you like the older Terrain over the newer version? Interesting, what does everyone else think?

2018 GMC Terrain

2018-GMC-Terrain-exterior.jpg

2016 GMC Terrain

2016-GMC-Terrain-Facelift-1.jpg

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

So you like the older Terrain over the newer version? Interesting, what does everyone else think?

2018 GMC Terrain

2018-GMC-Terrain-exterior.jpg

2016 GMC Terrain

2016-GMC-Terrain-Facelift-1.jpg

The older one has a far more cohesive (if not dated) look. The new one is trying to convey at least five different looks and none of them are very flattering to me. 

2 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

The older one has a far more cohesive (if not dated) look. The new one is trying to convey at least five different looks and none of them are very flattering to me. 

The old version I love, inside needed major work, but over all I loved the exterior look.

The New one is nice, but I hate the headlights with that crazy down curve design and the back quarter between the C & D pilar. Why go up and cut out window visibility? That makes no sense to me and I consider piss poor design. Love the floating roof look, but hate the small back windows. I see no reason to have done that at all. Would rather have bigger windows with more visibility.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

The old version I love, inside needed major work, but over all I loved the exterior look.

The New one is nice, but I hate the headlights with that crazy down curve design and the back quarter between the C & D pilar. Why go up and cut out window visibility? That makes no sense to me and I consider piss poor design. Love the floating roof look, but hate the small back windows. I see no reason to have done that at all. Would rather have bigger windows with more visibility.

I think it is the rear pillar that really kills it for me. That stupid trend needs to stop. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I think it is the rear pillar that really kills it for me. That stupid trend needs to stop. 

The RED Space is a deal breaker for me on this ride!

2018GMCTerrainSideProfile.jpg

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

The floating pillar trim styling cue is overdone, looks like a 2015 thing now.  First Citroen then Nissan and Lexus, now GMC doing it 3 years too late? 

I love the Floating Roof look, but the way they did the section between c & D pillars with Sheet metal rather than window tells me they went cheap here and added a unneeded blind spot. 

I do not care if they have blind spot warning, not everyone wants to have Nanny devices and I for one prefer doing my shoulder checks and seeing out the windows.

• Agree 2

43 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

The floating pillar trim styling cue is overdone, looks like a 2015 thing now.  First Citroen then Nissan and Lexus, now GMC doing it 3 years too late? 

Jaguar was the first I thought.... With the current XJ.

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Jaguar was the first I thought.... With the current XJ.

Didn't think of the XJ,  kind of different because the chrome side window trim loops around, rather than having a gap that gives the floating appearance with the others.  

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

That is exactly what I'm referring to as well. It serves no function whatsoever and creates an even worse blind spot. 

It will be interesting to see how sales do, if they fall, then I would say this is one of the reasons why.

55 minutes ago, dfelt said:

It will be interesting to see how sales do, if they fall, then I would say this is one of the reasons why.

Short of something dumb, it will probably still sell well due to everything else being an upgrade over the previous Terrain. It's not my kind of market anyway but if it was, the outside of this would be an absolute deal killer for me. 

4 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I don't think 3 years is long enough to establish a trend on yearly (at best) styling changes.

3 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

47c04af1da1f17662134a2b5f626f446.gif

Okay....

3ee74f3f642c9ccea479d0890f6f8493_final-d

Awesome Movies! :metal: 

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Greek Canadian...

Greek

tumblr_okei249tJB1spxurwo1_500.gif

Canadian

84085329.gif

I dont know where you get this 'nice guy, give peace a chance' idea from?

:D

My 300 will beat your 300! :P 

O'h wait did Germans have 300 or was it more like.....

Never mind! :unsure:

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

That's the Citroen/Nissan/Lexus styling cue I was referring to.  Trendy outdated nonsense.  

Is it just the floating roof? Because that goes back a lot longer. Or is it the pinching of the space between the floating roof and the fender?

23 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Is it just the floating roof? Because that goes back a lot longer. Or is it the pinching of the space between the floating roof and the fender?

Yes, the weird pinched trim floating roof trend where it appears the roof panel and rear quarter are separate.   Like on the Maxima, Murano, etc.  The XJ just has the rearmost pillar blacked out. 

9 minutes ago, FAPTurbo said:

I ATE A MONTREAL SMOKED MEAT SANDWICH AND MY BUTT WON'T STOP SPEAKING QUEBECOIS

LOL!

What...are you implying that you are farting and you are equating that to French Quebecois Joual?

That is funny!

Its OK...it goes with your interests:

CHECKING MY STOOLS FOR FIBRE

• Agree 2