The Straight Story On The G6 'Vert From C&G

Guest Josh

G6 Not Cancelled; New Pontiac Model Yet To Come

Is it on? Is it off? It was obviously pulled from Pontiacs web-site which was pointed out by C&G member Bimmer325 late last night in a story first reported by C&G (G6 Convertible Canned?). After doing a little bit of research I was able to get in contact with key Pontiac Media Relations Manager Jim Hopson.

Mr. Hopson was able to answer a few questions on the reasons why the G6 has been pulled from Pontiacs web-site, and was also able to keep us stoked heading into this years show scene.

In our roughly 15 minute phone conversation we were able to cover quite a few topics, and Mr. Hopson was happy to point out the success of the GTO in Los Angeles, California which is the GTO’s biggest market. Also pointing out that 45% of GTO sales are that of conquest buyers, or buyers that have traded in or owned a vehicle from a different manufacturer.

Without getting off topic on my initial questions: “Should we be concerned at the removal of the hard-top G6 convertible from Pontiacs mention?” I’m happy to report that the G6 ‘vert is still being planned for production, and that the information was removed so Pontiac could construct a site promoting the launch of the vehicle. Sort of as a way to promote the G6 ‘vert separately from the rest of the G6 line-up.

The G6 ‘vert should see a starting price of roughly $30k for a nicely equipped model, and should come nowhere near $40k for a completely loaded hard-top G6(Note: No pricing is official from Pontiac or General Motors). Pretty impressive in today’s market for a convertible of this nature. Pontiac hopes to have final pricing information as well as performance #’s and the like in 1Q of ‘06. The vehicle is expected to arrive in dealer showrooms in the spring ‘06.

One other very important piece to touch on. The news story in which Auto Week (If I recall correctly) that stated supplier Karmann has encountered quality issues was in fact incorrect. The roof system Karmann will be supplying for the G6 actually meets, or exceeds General Motors standards for quality and reliability.

Now, for the last goodie on this late Halloween treat. Expect to see a new production Pontiac on this years auto show scene.

Finally, I'd like to thank Mr. Hopson for taking the time out of his day to speak with us. It's very much appreciated!

Thanks for reading,

Josh E. Oliver
[email protected]

Sweet! Thanks for the info Josh. Spring '06 is the perfect time to launch it. Now, who wants to guess the new Pontiac?

While I'd prefer something smaller/cheaper, count another vote for a version of the Lambda. IIRC, Pontiac was originally slated for one of the Delta plant products, but lost its spot in the rollout to GMC. Given the impressive differentiation hinted at by the spy pics, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Pontiac finagles some kind of sporty hauler that doesn't overlap with the Enclave or the Arcadia. The timing would also seem to work--call it a late '08 model. Would AWD with a hot 3.9L and 5 seats be a bad Pontiac?

Now, who wants to guess the new Pontiac?

[post="37615"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Some speculate that the new Australian Zeta Commodore may be exported here as a new large Pontiac. Otherwise, maybe the next generation Pontiac Vibe. Edited by ehaase

I'm glad to see its not cancelled cause that would of been like throwing in the towel and admitting defeat. That said I think it will be tough to move a lot of G6 verts that are in the 30K range. I don't know how many they think they can sell but I gotta wonder if it will be worth all the development and engineering costs to get it on the road, hope its not another Envoy XUV.

What a waste if it's a Lambda or new Vibe.  I thought Pontiac was the performance/excitement division, guess not.

[post="37655"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Nobody said anything of the sorts of those. For all we know, it could be RWD. Until something official is said from GM, or if you read it here first, I'd disregard whatever rumors are out there.

This vehicle will be production, not a concept. First I've heard of it as GM has been very good at keeping this one quiet.

It's probably the rebadged cobalt that Canada and Mexico get. WOW! That's a great product. I've never seen anything like it!!!!!!! Seriously though, I can't think of what the new pontiac will be. I'm hoping it's the replacement for the Grand Prix. Good news about the G6 hard-top. Edited by Cadillacfan85

For BV's sake let it be a Fiero. They should make both rag and hard. It is most likly to be a large sedan to replace the GP or Bonnivile Edited by capriceman

Okay... Good news about the G6 'vert. Also good news about the upcoming Pontiac to be released. Although, it's killing me not knowing what it is. Probably something Pontiac doesn't need again... like the Torrent and Montana... But the next Vibe would be my best bet. Atleast it wouldn't be a total disgrace...

I'd love to think we'll see an all-new model (Vibe, GTO, G8, etc.), but my guess is another Solstice variant (coupe or GXP), or possibly even a GXP model of the Torrent or G6. The term production Pontiac leaves room for several possibilities.

I'd love to think we'll see an all-new model (Vibe, GTO, G8, etc.), but my guess is another Solstice variant (coupe or GXP), or possibly even a GXP model of the Torrent or G6.  The term production Pontiac leaves room for several possibilities.

[post="37846"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Sure does, but the quote "It's going to be fun" leaves awhole lot more!

I "think" the production Pontiac will happen very soon.....possible within the next few months or possibly in January, however I'm not toooooo sure.

[post="37942"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Wait, so this thing is ready to hit dealers?

Wait, so this thing is ready to hit dealers?

[post="37950"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That would be cool like a suprise a car that no one would expect just that it comes up like a V8 RWD :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say its too early for anything. The way GM has been pumping out vehicles lately....anything is possible....and I do mean anything is possible.

[post="37966"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Kappa 2+2? (I wish)
You did say anything didnt you?
Hopefully its something to go against the 300 and Charger.

80% chance it will be a version of a product already on the assembly line. And it will most liklely be Pontiac version of the Cobalt, a G4 or Pursuit or ? Gas is high, B-P-GMC wants a compact car, CAFE, Imports are stealing young customers, and again gas is high. RWD anything other than Kappa is still concept. If it's a turbo or hi-po Solstice, that's no big secret. But the 20% is a Solstice coupe, with a solid roof.

If it's something that is very close to production I'm guessing most likely a G4 (Pursuit). Less likely but still plausable--a Solstice coupe. Even less likely a G8 sedan badge-engineered from the Lucerne. or a face-lifted '07 GTO, maybe?

Well they better have the G6 'vert released in spring as promised, so they don't have a debacle of a release like the Solstice. You remember the Solstice was supposed to be released in time for summer. Their releases need to be released when they promise them. It is vital for GM to do this if they want a turnaround!

I heard there was going to be a larger Pontiac coming along sometime that was going to eventually replace the Bonneville

[post="38280"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Back when Zeta first arrived, a single Zeta vehicle was supposed to replace both the Grand Prix & Bonneville.

Pricing for a sedan above the G6 would be almost identical to 300's pricing. BPG dealers would then have a RWD Pontiac performance sedan and a FWD Buick Luxury sedan priced similarly... creating no overlap for their intended markets.

The way I originally hoped for Zeta to play out was:

- Chevrolet's Zeta sedan would be the least expensive (Charger prices).
- Buick's Zeta luxury sedan would be priced above Lucerne and Pontiac's performance Zeta but still less than STS (making Buick's Zeta a value alternative to the luxury class E-Class/GS/M-Series type sedans).

I never saw Buick's Zeta actually replacing Lucerne because the Pontiac & Buick Zeta would be priced too close to one another. IMO Chi is still the most probable platform to spawn a replacement for the FWD Lucerne... that is, if Chi is still a possibility.

I'm still hoping for this to be GM's plan now that Zeta is back on.

The timing is right for the Zeta as GM has shown production cars 12-18 months before intro. I have a feeling the GTO/G8 will make a showing at Chicago. Pontiac always has a new car for the windy city and the timing would be right for a 08

Guest YellowJacket894
$40,000 for a G6 variant? That is something that really displeases me.

Anyhow, as to what the new Pontiac might be, here's what I think.

-Vibe Replacement; maybe like a sedan instead of a hatch.
-Big Pontiac sedan to replace the Grand Prix and defunct Bonneville.
-Redesigned GTO.
-Solstice Coupe.

Guest YellowJacket894

Do you read? I said nowhere NEAR $40k

[post="42728"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Okay, okay. Settle down. A person can make a mistake every now and then. Edited by anorexorcist